How to build a Laptop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fnevaeva (564 posts) -

Any advice or tips on how to build a laptop?

#2 Posted by FelipeInside (26654 posts) -
Ehhhhh? What do you mean? You can't really build your own laptop, they are manufactured. Do you mean configure a new laptop?
#3 Posted by C_Rule (9815 posts) -
You don't build laptops, unless you want to end up with some ugly and bulky box.
#4 Posted by fnevaeva (564 posts) -
Actually you can. Have you never seen a custom laptop?
#5 Posted by FelipeInside (26654 posts) -
Actually you can. Have you never seen a custom laptop?fnevaeva
I must say I haven't, no. Question is, why would you bother?
#6 Posted by fnevaeva (564 posts) -
Because of the cost. Was thinking I could build one for cheaper rather than buying a stock computer from a major retailer. And it's a good brain teaser project and helps you learn new things.
#7 Posted by FelipeInside (26654 posts) -
Because of the cost. Was thinking I could build one for cheaper rather than buying a stock computer from a major retailer. And it's a good brain teaser project and helps you learn new things.fnevaeva
I guess as a brain teaser or hobby it would be ok, but regarding costs...laptops have come down in price so much in the last 3 years it's not worth the time and effort building one.
#8 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

Building a custom system saves you money with a desktop, but considering the proprietary hardware you need for a laptop, and the relative rarity of said hardware, I would think building it yourself wouldn't actually save you money, when it comes to a laptop. Would probably cost you more.

#9 Posted by kraken2109 (13257 posts) -

Where can you buy laptop parts besides second hand on ebay?

It won't save you any money.

#10 Posted by comp_atkins (32237 posts) -
not sure it would be an easy task... building a desktop you can buy parts with standardized form factors.. when you're building a laptop, the packaging is much more difficult. many vendors build bespoke boards to fit their packaging requirements.. it's not all off-the-shelf components..
#11 Posted by clyde46 (47872 posts) -
My MBP is custom built.
#12 Posted by Cyberdot (3926 posts) -

You can't build laptops.