CrazyBahal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CrazyBahal
Member since 2009 • 243 Posts

I know and I can feel that vsync adds to input lag in different games. For example I play FIFA alot and I can clearly tell the difference between vsync on and off. But how does vsync work? And how many milliseconds does it add to input lag? I have searched and found people asking about vsync on different forums but have never got a good explanation to why it causes input lag and how much lag does it add.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@CrazyBahal said:

I know and I can feel that vsync adds to input lag in different games. For example I play FIFA alot and I can clearly tell the difference between vsync on and off. But how does vsync work? And how many milliseconds does it add to input lag? I have searched and found people asking about vsync on different forums but have never got a good explanation to why it causes input lag and how much lag does it add.

Totally depends on the game. Some have more lag and others less.

I always turn Vsync OFF unless there's major screen tearing that I can't stand.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@CrazyBahal said:

Not much, but if you have Nvidia GPU (gsync) and a proper gaming gsync monitor with 100+Hz you'd be good to go.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

@CrazyBahal said:

Not much, but if you have Nvidia GPU (gsync) and a proper gaming gsync monitor with 100+Hz you'd be good to go.

I concur.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Depends on the monitor refresh rate, but at 60Hz it is about 18ms for triple buffering, less for double. That assumes that the game is doing it properly though, which is not always the case. I can't deal with screen tearing so I always use vsync. Some games like anything on the Source engine it isn't perceivable, other engines it is.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I can't stand vsync personally. Always turn it off.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Depends on the FPS. At 1,000 FPS you will be rendering every 1ms. At 60 FPS you'll be rendering at 16.6ms.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Can't stand Vsync, always turn it off. Unless screen tearing on the specific game is even more annoying, then I bear with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

A lot. At 60Hz it makes shooters unplayable for me. At 120Hz it's not as bad. This is why I can't use IPS =C

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I always have it on, I get screen tearing a lot

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

I turn Vsync OFF and I use 62fps limit that give me very minimal tearing without any input lag.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

The input lag on vsync is extremely noticeable.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I varies but it's vastly more acceptable than screen-tear. I nearly always use adaptive V-Sync and it does it's job reasonably well most of the time (although sometimes you have to fiddle with settings some more).

murekkep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 murekkep
Member since 2005 • 758 Posts

I experienced it only on Valve games.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I think it varies depending on the game. I never use it, but one time I enabled it in CS:GO and the input lag was extremely noticeable.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

A lot same with it turned off I get a lot of tearing, I cant win. Trying to look around for cheapish 100hz 22" monitor or TV at 1080p.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

I can't stand vsync personally. Always turn it off.

Same here, but I hate screen-tearing much, much more.

I miss D3DOverrider, but the author stopped supporting it a long time ago. It works with some older last-gen games, but not for all of them. D3DOverrider still had input lag, but it was less than Nvidia panel vsync or the game application's vsync which is unpredictable.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#18  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i use v-sync whenever i can as long as it doesn't make things run bad. Most games run fine and theres no extra lag on them. Only one recently I noticed that vsync made run worse and increased my input lag was Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, but this was mostly due to my video card barely able to keep fps at 60 fps to begin with.

Pretty much two reasons i use vsync. One is to stop screen tearing, and the other is to save power since theres usually no point going beyond the 60 fps since my monitors only 60hz. If i play a game on my plasma tv i almost always have to vsync, i seem to get a lot more noticable tearing on that then i do my pc monitor.

And if your barely hitting 60 fps you may not want to use it in those cases, I had times when i was around 45-55fps and it would then lock fps down to 30 fps for some games, pretty awful when it does that.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skipper847

What about turning on v sync on both game and graphic card?.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's actually not noticeable if you're playing a game with a controller and V-sync on. It's a lot more noticeable with a mouse due to its sensitive nature. I rarely notice screen-tearing so I usually don't care to ever turn it on.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skipper847

@KHAndAnime:

+1 that I get terrible lag with mouse but not controller. Also in some games on vsync gpu there are 3 or more modes 1,2,3. Is there more slow down the higher the option?.