how much does number of cores matter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

e575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 e575
Member since 2009 • 681 Posts

I have an AMD Phenom II x6 system, a 2.6 GHz processor with 6 cores. The 2.6 GHz is not that high a clockspeed, but then again it has 6 cores. I also have a 1 GB video card. I was just wondering how much the number of cores matters because the 2.6 GHz is not that high.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
It depends on what you're doing. Some programs are coded for raw processor speed while others are coded to take advantage of multiple processors/cores. Have you thought about overclocking?
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

It all depends on the game or program you are using. Cores>Speed when it comes to processing power. The the early days of dual core cpu's almost all programs and games were made to work with only single core cpu's which meant that the dual core was only half used. Some what of the same thing happened with duals to quads(not as long or as bad)where the same type of cpu architecture showed no difference between the two because of it being coded for dual and not quads. Then cpu clockrates can seperate the same cpu architecture from each other because it is higher clockrates. For example you can take a Phenom X4 3.2ghz vs your Phenom X6 2.6ghz when and game are only coded for quads the 3.2 ghz will out do the X6 but when a program/game is coded for the X6 then it will out do the faster clocked quad.

Even with your 2.6 Ghz X6 gaming will be more then enough for while. The gpu is main item that determines how well your games perform. Having 1gb video card means nothing if its a slow graphics crad.

e575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 e575

I have never done anything like overclocking before, but I am considering overclocking it once the factory warranty runs out in September. How far should I push it? 2.6->3GHz? I'd be happy pushing it just to 2.8, to keep it safe, but that might be not even worth it. It currently has 1 fan located on the processor... I would add a fan to the back of the case and a new heat sink. I wonder if this would be enough extra cooling.

thanks for the info about the program needing to be programmed to utilize that many cores. That's what I suspected.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I have never done anything like overclocking before, but I am considering overclocking it once the factory warranty runs out in September. How far should I push it? 2.6->3GHz? I'd be happy pushing it just to 2.8, to keep it safe, but that might be not even worth it. It currently has 1 fan located on the processor... I would add a fan to the back of the case and a new heat sink. I wonder if this would be enough extra cooling.

thanks for the info about the program needing to be programmed to utilize that many cores. That's what I suspected.

e575

You might find your overclocking potential to be small unless you have a good mobo. You can't change the multiplier on the low-end X6 Phenoms. I suspect that 3.0Ghz could be done though :)

e575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 e575

thing is, would I fry the processor? I suspect I'll have to measure the heat? How are all these people measuring what temp their PC is running at, installing thermometers? Sorry, I'm an overclocking newb.

Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tezcatlipoca666

thing is, would I fry the processor? I suspect I'll have to measure the heat? How are all these people measuring what temp their PC is running at, installing thermometers? Sorry, I'm an overclocking newb.

e575

There are built in sensors. Download and install HWmonitor to check temps :P

And no, you won't fry the processor as long as you don't mess with the voltage too much. 3Ghz isn't high for a Phenom II X6.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
You download a program that monitors your temps of your Pc parts. Like HWMonitor. If your case doesnot have a rear case cooling fan then you should get one. You will have to measure to see what fan size you need. It will be ethier 80mm or 120mm
e575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 e575

Thank you very much for putting me on to HWMonitor. I'm amazed that it tells me the temperature in each individual core of my processor, my video card, and2 other set of temps. My question is whatare the other sets of temps? Motherboard?

I have temps in these categories:

1) ASUSTeK Computer inc (overall case? motherboard?)

2) AMD Phenom II x6 (processor cores)

3) ST3100052AS (hard drive?)

4) ATI Radeon 5750 (video card)

So I'm wondering what categories 1 and 3 are. And what are good temperature ranges??

Thanks so much for all the help.

Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tezcatlipoca666

Thank you very much for putting me on to HWMonitor. I'm amazed that it tells me the temperature in each individual core of my processor, my video card, and2 other set of temps. My question is whatare the other sets of temps? Motherboard?

I have temps in these categories:

1) ASUSTeK Computer inc (overall case? motherboard?)

2) AMD Phenom II x6 (processor cores)

3) ST3100052AS (hard drive?)

4) ATI Radeon 5750 (video card)

So I'm wondering what categories 1 and 3 are. And what are good temperature ranges??

Thanks so much for all the help.

e575

1 is probably northbridge / southbridge on your motherboard.

3. is your HDD.

My general rule is to stay under 65C for the mobo and under 40C for the hard drive.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

the Phenom II X6s can be pushed VERY far with OCing and are a very good line of CPUs. You'd e surprised how many hidden games take advantage of all 6 cores, like Bad Company 2 and Resident Evil 5, among others. Also, when the CPU cant use all its cores, it shuts a few off and clocks the used ones higher, for example 2.6 to 3.0

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

6 cores for gaming means very little at this point in time, maybe in a couple years it may be fully used in most games. Just in the past year quads became the staderd for pretty much all games.