How much do u trust Steam. is it future proof?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Siamak8286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Siamak8286
Member since 2010 • 418 Posts

Hey Gamers. i just wanna know how much do u guys trust Steam? let see i got about 80-100 games on Steam and now im thinking what if the service just stop or the company go bankrupt? whats gonna happen to my games that i paid for? let say 5 year from now u wanna play one of ur oldie games, how can u play it then if steam is not around? maybe im just over reacting but with these financial issues companies got there is no telling what could happen...

btw I LOVE STEAM!!

rig spec:

Core i7 920 @ 3.21

EVGA GTX 295 Co-Op Edition

6GB Domminator DDR3 @1600

300gb Velocirapto, 1TB Caviar Black

EVGA x58 Classified MB

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I this topic pop up way to much

Steam is very very unlikely to go bankrupt at this point.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I remember hearing they'll let you back your games up to DVDs or something.
testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
I really doubt Steam will go under and if they did I have read they will patch it so you can download and keep all your games without having to use the Steam service. This is just stuff I have seen people say on the forums before I don't know if its true. Personally I don't use Steam because I hate downloading my games. I like a box and disc and don't care if I fall behind the times because of it so I have no real first hand knowledge about Steam.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Is it the Summer heat or what? what's with this threads popping out all the time. I trust Steam a lot (depends if you are likely to press random links and get your account stolen, I myself will never have this problem) and Steam will never go down.
Avatar image for deactivated-5857b4a04988e
deactivated-5857b4a04988e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5857b4a04988e
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts
Allowing users to download the games directly onto the computer is probably the likeliest choice. Can you imagine the amount of lawsuits if Steam goes under with the games?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I trust Steam with my life.
DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 2

#8 DynV
Member since 2008 • 260 Posts

At the end of Steam there will be a meeting with its big shots saying something like "we got big bills coming in and we've had 2-3 bad quarters so we should think of moving to something else" ; do you really think at that point someone will rise up, much less convince the rest, to honor their commitment setting up a plan which require 5-10 times our normal bandwidth for our loyal customers that made our fortune?

Forget about that! The only way I'd use such a service is if there would be an ongoing backup service, every 3-5 purchases you're sent DVDs/bluray.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I remember hearing they'll let you back your games up to DVDs or something.JigglyWiggly_
IIRC if they do go bankrupt then they will just shut down their verification servers or something like that.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Pretty sure Valve has addressed this issue. They have said that in the unlikely case that Steam goes under they will release a tool that frees your games from Steam authentication.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust

Do you really think at the end of Steam there will be a meeting with the big shots of Steam and say, ok we got big bills coming in and we've had 2-3 bad quarters so we should think of moving to something else ; do you really think at that point someone will rise up, much less convince the rest, let's honors our commitment and we'll set up this plan which require 5-10 times our normal bandwidth for our loyal customers that made our fortune?

Forget about that! The only way I'd use such a service is if there would be an ongoing backup service, every 3-5 purchases you're sent DVDs/bluray.

DynV

Do you think that? scratch that, do you actually know what/who Steam is?

They wouldn't have explanations to giveo nly to fans if they go bankrupt they'd have to give em to every publisher/developer that sells games there. Besides business can't be bad on Steam even for a single quarter.

DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DynV

They wouldn't have explanations to giveo nly to fans if they go bankrupt they'd have to give em to every publisher/developer that sells games there. Besides business can't be bad on Steam even for a single quarter.

DanielDust

I don't care if they're bilionnaires, when (I'm pretty sure they won't last 20 years) the time come to move on, money will triumph over loyalty.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 testfactor888

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

DynV

I don't care if they're bilionnaires, when the time come to move, money will triumph over loyalty.

Well if you want to say money is the only thing that would be in their heads than they really would have to make sure every customer could keep their games. Imagine all the lawsuits they would face if they broke the agreement's they made with companys and consumers.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

I just had to post. Future Proof is one of my favorite songs!

:!:

I've bought a few games off of Steam and they seem to do okay. I don't really buy a whole lot of video games these days so I have to be choosy. So far so good as far as steam goes.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

DynV

I don't care if they're bilionnaires, when (I'm pretty sure they won't last 20 years) the time come to move on, money will triumph over loyalty.

Now I know you don't have a clue about what you're saying. What kind of assumptions are those? when the time comes they move on? what time? where will they move? they make money out of Steam, Steam is a selling platform, Valve themselves don't sell their games on Steam, they sell their games and thousands more, here's where their money are and will be.

Not even D2D won't go down and their system is terrible compared to Steam, worst case scenario somebody buys them and keeps the system alive, but Steam dominates DDs and they're getting only stronger.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
More than any other digital distribution service at the moment. GoG.com is up there too.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Allowing users to download the games directly onto the computer is probably the likeliest choice. Can you imagine the amount of lawsuits if Steam goes under with the games?Dtnoip28
There would not be any if you read the service agreement they can end at any time. They would not be crazy but they would figure something out.
chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

I trust steam but nothing is future-proof.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Have you ever considered your electric and water companiess might go under and stop providing service? No? Buts its possible, isnt it?

Think of steam as a utility company at this point.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

STEAM has been growing by 50% EVERY years for quite a while now. Also its a privately owned company so I would say not to worry.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

Hey Gamers. i just wanna know how much do u guys trust Steam? let see i got about 80-100 games on Steam and now im thinking what if the service just stop or the company go bankrupt? whats gonna happen to my games that i paid for? let say 5 year from now u wanna play one of ur oldie games, how can u play it then if steam is not around? maybe im just over reacting but with these financial issues companies got there is no telling what could happen...

btw I LOVE STEAM!!

rig spec:

Core i7 920 @ 3.21

EVGA x58 Classified MB

Siamak8286
It is unlikely Steam will whither away into history if Valve happens to run out of business. The likely outcome to happen if Valve is going downhill financially is some other big company (I bet a publisher) will swoop on in, throw down a big wad of money, and Steam will transfer ownership. What would happen to steam under a new company would be conjecture at this point. But I am fairly sure it'll go this route before getting canned.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Nothing is future proof. Not your computer. Not your backup strategy. Not steam. Not even the electric company is future proof.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Daytona_178
Nothing is future proof. Not your computer. Not your backup strategy. Not steam. Not even the electric company is future proof.Renevent42
What a pointless comment!
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Nothing is future proof. Not your computer. Not your backup strategy. Not steam. Not even the electric company is future proof.Renevent42

im fairly certain the electric company wont be dead anytime soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQBkje1CLA&feature=channel

oh yes.. i went there.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Nothing is future proof. Not your computer. Not your backup strategy. Not steam. Not even the electric company is future proof.Daytona_178

Your comment is pointless... The thread asks if steam is future proof, my response addresses this. What the question should be is if the level of risk associated with purchasing a steam game is worth it and/or acceptable to consumers...and of course what those risks are. Now please don't reply to my comments anymore with pointless drivel.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Daytona_178

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]Nothing is future proof. Not your computer. Not your backup strategy. Not steam. Not even the electric company is future proof.Renevent42

What the question should be is if the level of risk associated with purchasing a steam game is worth it and/or acceptable to consumers...and of course what those risks are.

LOL, so you admit you knew what he meant, you just chose to give a technical answer which was of no help at all.

Whatever dude.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Renevent42
Whatever to you too, don't post pointless replies to people just to troll them.
mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

Steam gets bigger and bigger every day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#29 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

While I generally avoid digital downloads (unless something is like 5 bucks on steam) I'm not too worried about it caving in and leaving people without a way to play their games. If it does that, digital downloads and online authentication is probably over. People will end up playing the games they bought on steam, one way or another.

DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DynV

While I generally avoid digital downloads (unless something is like 5 bucks on steam) I'm not too worried about it caving in and leaving people without a way to play their games. If it does that, digital downloads and online authentication is probably over. People will end up playing the games they bought on steam, one way or another.

Cobra_nVidia

You're absolutely right! But for the sake of the thread, you think they'd do it the right way when the time come?

Also people better be aware of the risk, checking if their law allow to have a copy and, if it's the case, keep proof of purchase to show you hold the copyright. The first thing I do when I get a media is to make a copy, as my local law allows it, but some reprentatives try to change that so that only an original would be valid, so I dearly hold to the originals.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
Except Steam is money. If Valve falls, someone else will buy Steam off of them.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58485 Posts

in the event Valve does go bankrupt, I imagine another company or publisher will pick up Steam before it comes to the whole backing up the games on DVD thing.

seriously, it is an epic system and there is a lot of money and millions of established and loyal clients, with millions more waiting to get hooked.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

btw I LOVE STEAM!!

rig spec:

Core i7 920 @ 3.21

EVGA x58 Classified MB

Siamak8286
Why worry so much about the future? Enjoy the present mate, life is short...
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

in the event Valve does go bankrupt, I imagine another company or publisher will pick up Steam before it comes to the whole backing up the games on DVD thing.

seriously, it is an epic system and there is a lot of money and millions of established and loyal clients, with millions more waiting to get hooked.

mrbojangles25
Besides that. I trust Steam way more than I trust my mother.
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#35 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

I dont trust them at all.

Bros89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bros89
Member since 2004 • 624 Posts

To much of these topics.

shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

I trust this man with my life...

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 testfactor888

shaneras

I woulden't trust that man with my lunch let alone my life.

shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

How can you say no to a face like that?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I remember hearing they'll let you back your games up to DVDs or something.JigglyWiggly_

You can make unlimited, legal backups on either physical or digital media (portable HDD). I'm not sure how they would function if the Steam service itself goes down... but either way, that is highly unlikely given VALVe is turning nothing but profits.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Daytona_178

The thought of Valve closing down of now is like considering Microsoft or Apple going under....to put it simply, they are just making waaaay too much money to go under.

Avatar image for shadowdemon0085
shadowdemon0085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shadowdemon0085
Member since 2007 • 116 Posts

I have strong faith in Steam and Valve.

However, if it was to go under... then the world must be ending. It's the only way possible! But, really, Steam isn't future proof, nothing is. At some point it will go down hill... or maybe it will go with the times. Who knows?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="shaneras"]

testfactor888

I woulden't trust that man with my lunch let alone my life.

id trust him with my life before my lunch.