How is Modern Warfare 2's Multiplayer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

You know I put myself off from buying the game mainly because of the "no dedicated servers part" but I want to hear what the people here at GS think about the MW2 multiplayer?

Lately I've got this sudden urge to play the game ( How did I get the sudden urge, you ask. I watched a family guy episode where at the end Peter plays MW2 on the xbox ).

Been watching a few vids lately and seems pretty cool, especially when you can pick up a riot shield and try to outflank you're opponent.

w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 w4rrior17
Member since 2010 • 943 Posts
Played it on the free weekend, had a good time with it. For all the hate it gets it is a fun game. Broken though, also putting all the time into leveling up only to get into a hacked server and automatically bump up to a lvl 70 is kind of a downer. Unbalanced, a lot of campers, not worth a purchace imo.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

the best thing ever happened to PC gaming world; be sure to get the map pack for the ultimate gaming experience!

The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

the best thing ever happened to PC gaming world; be sure to get the map pack for the ultimate gaming experience!

teardropmina

I really hope that's sarcasm

w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 w4rrior17
Member since 2010 • 943 Posts
[QUOTE="The_PC_Gamer"]

[QUOTE="teardropmina"]

I really hope that's sarcasm

Lol you fail just as much as that post if you can't tell that's sarcasm. xD
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
I took a step outside and fell on a better multiplayer experience than this one. It's fun with friends, but even when it comes to that, I could have just saved $40 (somehow found MW2 on Amazon for a slightly less awful price) by plopping in COD4. The flexibility and customization is nice, but that's it.
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

its a really fun game, I like it.

Estlace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Estlace
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts

The multiplayer is fun for a little while, but if you invest a lot of time in it you just get pissed off.

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

If you want MW then buy COD4. If you already own COD4, don't bother downgrading to MW2.

Blind0bj3ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blind0bj3ct
Member since 2008 • 534 Posts
Not worth the money. BF:BC2 is what you'd want in these days.
lobodob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lobodob
Member since 2004 • 2584 Posts
Its fun, campers arent as bad as people say (they are easy to take out, people are just sissies :P ) and every now and then you do run into hackers, but it isnt very often at all (half the time someone says theres a hacker, there isnt, ive been accused twice :P ). So yea, its fun :D
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
the game was fun when i played it on free weekend, real fun. i would buy it buy im not spending 60 dollars for it.
AJ_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AJ_D
Member since 2003 • 1533 Posts

You know I put myself off from buying the game mainly because of the "no dedicated servers part" but I want to hear what the people here at GS think about the MW2 multiplayer?

Lately I've got this sudden urge to play the game ( How did I get the sudden urge, you ask. I watched a family guy episode where at the end Peter plays MW2 on the xbox ).

Been watching a few vids lately and seems pretty cool, especially when you can pick up a riot shield and try to outflank you're opponent.

mhofever

I didn't see the episode but the clip is on youtube... pretty funny. I've only played MW2 during the free weekend, during that time I played between four to seven hours. I quite enjoyed the game and would consider buying it for under the $35 dollar mark. As for the no dedicated servers part I didn't find it an issue at all. Finding matches was a breeze, I was playing a match in less than 1 minute from launching the game. I'm not into playing with friends or joining clan servers so I found having the game put me in a server was easier than myself having to find a map/match I want to play, with low ping, with players in it. I also quite liked building characters with unique perks and weapons.

If you are in the mood for a MW2 like game I suggest Alliance of Valiant Arms (A.V.A.) It is a free game, has compairable qualities to MW2, a lot of players and a character creation system that focuses on weapons and equipment. I've recently started to play and enjoy the game equally as much, if not more so. Can't lose with a free game and a small download (less than 1.8 gigs, which is nothing compaired to the 12 gigs of MW2).

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
laggy as hell with hitboxes the size of cars. stick to cod4
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
I was on of those who didnt want to buy it cuz of all the lame crap they pulled but then found a deal to get it for $35 and jumped on it. The game is great looking visually, the action is intense and fast and the lag isnt as bad as its been played out to be. When I first started playing the lag was crazy but it got way better and its very addicting once you start leveling. Right now I only play Hardcore Team Deathmatch. Way better than everything else in my opinion and you get a chance to use skill. You have to hunt and thats waaay more fun than just running around like crazy hoping for a situation where you can rack up some kills. I still cant really get many kills in a row but thats alright. I dont think Ill be getting the map pack...cuz its hugely expensive but if you can get the game for like $30 its worth it. Not any more than that. It really is a fun game. I play it, TF2 and a few RTS games and its quite nice to have. Id get BC2 also but I dont want to take away from playing my other games. Ill get it eventually.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

I played it for the free weekend....it was great fun! When i can get it cheaper Iam buying it for sure!

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

"I'm not a douchebag, I'm new!" lol

Anyway, I find the game very entertaining. There's the occasional hacker, the game can belaggy at times.. but overall it's still a great game. Tons of weapon choices and customization options, so on your way to levelling up you're always trying out new configurations.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Its not bad although you shouldnt expect much of a challange. Also be aware that you NEED your own music to play this game as the weapons in MW2 sound really bad and listenning the their weak butt sounds gets annoying real fast. When talking about the weapons do not expect them to feel different from eachoter. Most have little to no recoil.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mhofever
Thanks for the heads-up guys, I guess I won't be getting this one unless it's price drops ( which I highly doubt since CoD 4's price had stayed the same for a couple of years). I guess I'll just head back to my CoD 4 and BC2 then. *shakes fists at Family Guy* But seriously, that MW2 ending was hilarious XD
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#20 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Not that great imo

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Is fun, you can find a game easily no probs there, but some times it can be very very annoying. I suggest you fight that urge and get the New Medal of honor game thats coming out soon.
Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

It's not as bad as PC gamers say. It's not as good as console gamers say. IWNet works most of the time

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
To sum it up in one word. Unbalanced.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mhofever
Well, the MW 2 free weekend is here , so I'll be able to judge myself then.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Its fun for a while, then it gets kind of dull when you realize that the only reason you are playing is so you can get the next weapon upgrade. I just felt that there wasn't anything keeping me playing other than the upgrading weapons and perks and stuff. That might be a side effect of not having servers, though.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#26 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I think its a lot of fun and much easier to get into than BC2 But granted most of my time has been playing with the community. The party stuff is poorly implemented. You should give it a try. There's more to do in it than COD4.
sammysalsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sammysalsa
Member since 2004 • 1832 Posts

Theres almost no point for you to get it if you already have mw1 and bfbc2. Your set.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

its is fun

if your looking for something deep with strategy and skill, this isnt the game, but if your looking for shooting things up left and right then yeah its perfectly fine

as others mentioned, hackers and lack of dedicated is dissapointing, however if your there as i've said before just fun and not your stats then this is the game. I used to care about campers and spawns and such but i decieded that k/d w/l dont mean jack squat and i have ablast just runnign around even if it costs my team a loss (but really i could care less)

actually im surprised im saying this, but i find lag better than dedicated sometimes. b/c most times it will successfully match you with people in your area making the game run smooth. compared to dedicated where anyone from all over the world can connect and while you may be getting 50 ping some ppl are getting 300+. but other times its just bad (especially at late hours)

Avatar image for darknessdashinf
darknessdashinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darknessdashinf
Member since 2010 • 85 Posts

The last time I played it online it was full of so many glitchers/hackers/annoying players I just couldn't stand to play it anymore. It's much laggier than COD4 or WAW and it's full of too many really annoying problems, I wouldn't recommend it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58401 Posts

It is incredibly boring, imo. No real strategy or anything, just a collection of small maps filled with people that have found a cheap tactic or weapon set that works for them.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
The game is fun, but it has some flaws, and i'm not talking about hackers, i'm talking about the difficulty to find a server, at least for me (i'm brazilian), the core gameplay is fun, weapons feel great as they're powerful, but the problem is that there are lots of snipers using those barrets, and it's just annoying, I was in that map were you can get killed by radiation, Wasteland, 5x5 , the other team was MADE of snipers, and since one hit kills won't kill unless you go for the head (those snipers aren't as nearly as good as the ones you find in COD 4), but they can kill you pretty easily since they're using a semi automatic sniper rifle. The lag isn't annoying as people say, it doesn't mess with the gameplay that much UNLESS, you get a crappy host, if you get one, it will be unplayable. Another missed opportunity are some of those perk combos people do, it needs balance, I also expected some more weapons, and there's the killstreak thing, the care drop package is a pretty good one, and I could stand the airstrikes and helicopters in the first game, but in this game killstreaks are really game killers, people with that artillery strike or something like that can spawn kill you lots of times. The biggest problem of the game though, is the size of some of the maps, they are too big for 12 players, even when you have 18 players maps feel empty, you can wander around searching for your enemies, especially because camping is another issue, a big one, the game was supposed to be a fast paced shooter, but the players use the size of the map to their advantage, and they camp, a LOT, see, maps are already big, and there are many balconies and buildings, places for you to camp as a sniper, in Favela, you have the ground part of the map, and the upper part which is made of balconies and buildings, it's too much space for a few players. Those are my complaints with the game, and there's another thing. WTF no one plays hardcore?
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mhofever

Well I was able to play the MW2 Free Weekend today and you guys are quite right about a few things. It kinda feels too fast-paced and consolized as compared to CoD4, the TDM is pretty fast and I really felt that it was easy to kill the other people.

BUT, I liked the idea of the Callsign, although not a major influence in gameplay but quite cool and also the Killstreak unlocks are pretty sweet too. As for match-making, it can get a bit laggy at times but so far I haven't come across any major problems ( apart from being when the host leaves and it has to transfer hosting to someone else, which is a pain ) in the online connection.

Then again, I don't think I'd still pay $60. There is something that MW2 doesn't have that CoD4 really has because I felt that CoD 4 has more of an ( bear with me ) in-depth and more skill-dependant gameplay. Modern Warfare 2 just felt too easy when killing your enemies.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I forgot to say something, it seems like IW took out the bullet penetration thing, now bullets won't penetrate harder surfaces anymore, it's kind of annoying when an enemy is behind a wall or something, in MW you could shoot in the wall and kill him, now you have to go for the head, until you do that, you're dead bro.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mhofever

I forgot to say something, it seems like IW took out the bullet penetration thing, now bullets won't penetrate harder surfaces anymore, it's kind of annoying when an enemy is behind a wall or something, in MW you could shoot in the wall and kill him, now you have to go for the head, until you do that, you're dead bro.rmfd341

I also realised that they took out leaning in MW2, which really sucks. Now I have to fully expose myself when I want to see what's around the corner.

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

It's not horrible and you can have lots of fun with it, but after a while it gets prey blah. Unlike COD4 which is still fun as hell.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mhofever

It's not horrible and you can have lots of fun with it, but after a while it gets prey blah. Unlike COD4 which is still fun as hell.

adv_tr00per

Yea it IS quite fun, but the lag really spoils it for me.

gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

It's EXCELLENT. Perhaps it's better on the PS3 and 360, but the PC version is no slacker either. NO matter what others say, the PC versions multiplayer can be great fun without much lag. However, it's wildly unbalanced, with akimbo shotguns overly powerful and the grenade launcher waaaaaaaaaay too powerful. The FAMAS is also overpowered.

venjhammet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 venjhammet
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

not that great