How important are graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wedge598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 Wedge598
Member since 2003 • 1263 Posts
With the emergence of the next gen games I'm seeing a trend to provide super flashy graphics which have little to no impact on the gameplay... At the expense of our wallets when we we need super high end hardware to run the game. More and more I'm finding myself drawn to great gameplay over fancy graphics. How about you?
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
How important are graphics? Jeez thats just like asking how important is a good life.
greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
How important are graphics? Jeez thats just like asking how important is a good life.LTZH
So the way you see it, Graphics = life...? Anyways, i enjoyed playing deus ex (bad graphics for these days) alot more than most recent games. I think that the console market is more about dumbed down gameplay that everyone can pick up and good graphics, and like most games right now that are released on pc are also on consoles, we get similar content.
loismustdie47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 loismustdie47
Member since 2004 • 2368 Posts

How important are graphicsWedge598

Very. If a game doesn't have them, chances are pretty good that I won't buy it.

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
Look at crysis. If it had regular graphics no one would like it.
Funkdaddy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Funkdaddy13
Member since 2003 • 8930 Posts
It's not what makes a game good but it sure is important. I like to know what I'm shooting at when I play a game... ;)
MrNacaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrNacaa
Member since 2006 • 510 Posts

I dont care at all about graphics. All that matter for me is story and the value of the game. As long as it keeps me playing and I enjoy it.

However, I do like to look at nice details, but thats just a plus.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

If I have a choice between two similar games I'd go with the one that looks better. Graphics do matter IMO. Gameplay is the most important thing, yes, but there is a limit to how crappy textures you can squeeze in a game and hide behind "It's all about the gameplay, you gfx whore!". Some devs are just lazy.

Some older games are still pretty great, but bad graphics ruin some of the older FPSs for me, as I usually find the gameplay a bit lacking in most older games (Undying and Quake/Doom are some examples). But hey, I still love games like Megaman 2 and System Shock 2, so I'm not a total gfx whore.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts

graphics are 100% unimportant to me, yet I still love them

I mean, I will buy Crysis just because of the graphics but I don't enjoy a game less because of bad graphics. Well, in a sense I do because I'm not enjoying the graphics part of the game, but let me rephrase it:

Poor graphics won't hinder my enjoyment of any other area of the game. Really poor graphics are often an indication of quality though

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4550 Posts

How important are graphics?Wedge598

Not as important as gameplay.

Look at crysis. If it had regular graphics no one would like it.-AK47-

False.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I think it is funny when people look back at old great games and blab out how great they were despite the graphics, well at the time they were state of the art games and we did not know any better. Doom was an awesome game back then, the 3D graphics were outstanding, for the time. Go back and play it now. Bleh. Of course gameplay is important, but these days you need the total package. Can anyone name the last great PC game that was known for crap graphics by today's standards? I can't even think of one.

DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts
I like good graphics but the gameplay also has to be there...of course.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

important but by no means paramount. deus ex is still a better game than most games out today and its graphics are naff. they were naff even by the standards of its own day.

give me a game with fun gameplay, a compelling story, great writing, great voice overs and memorable characters and a brilliant level of immersion and ill be very forgiving on the graphics front.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Gameplay >> Graphic.
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

As I'm sure has been mentioned already. Gameplay is more important than graphics. Of course it doesn't matter how good the gameplay if you can't see anything due to bad graphics.

Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
I can play with 2D grafx,but i REFUSE to play ANY game on low settings,i'd rather have Starcraft 1medium than Crysis on lowest (By medium i mean some settings on high,some medium and some low) i'm sick of cranking everything down to low,it just takes out the point in playing the game,IMO.
Wedge598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 Wedge598
Member since 2003 • 1263 Posts

I think most of you understood my point. Most of us would choose to play a really great game like Half-life if the graphics were passable (as they were/are in the original source engine) over a really poor game like Daikatana even if it looked like a CGI movie.

My impressions of the Crysis demo were that it looked great and played great but it felt like a rehash of Far Cry. I'd argue that they could have done Crysis with the old Far Cry engine and I'd personally enjoy the game just as much.

This is not to say that I don't want the trend for CGI movie like visuals to stop but I am becoming more particular in evaluating the game before I buy. And I'm less likely to want to upgrade my computer to play a game that plays similarly to others I've played if the only "new" thing going for it is the graphics.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
About as important as the game case. ArtstyIe and quality technical design are much more important than shiny wood.
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

Can anyone name the last great PC game that was known for crap graphics by today's standards? I can't even think of one.

vfibsux

By your sentence, I assume you are asking: What older games are considered to be ace in their time, and thus classics, despite their sh** graphics by current standards? And yeah. I can name a few. There are many great older games that are adored, despite their crap graphics by today's standards.

Baldurs Gate Series

Fallout Series

Planescape

System Shock 2

Alice

The Longest Journey

Don't get me wrong though. I love the improvements to graphics that have been made over the years. It's amazing. It makes the game so much more immersive.

Still, don't dismiss older games simply due to their graphics.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I still play starcraft and total annihilation. Nuff said.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Goldeneye 007 N64(Best shooter ever bring it). Yes I love graphics along with artstyle but who will sacrifice a big budget title with outstanding visuals and lack of gameplay?.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4550 Posts

My impressions of the Crysis demo were that it looked great and played great but it felt like a rehash of Far Cry. I'd argue that they could have done Crysis with the old Far Cry engine and I'd personally enjoy the game just as much. Wedge598

I agree as long as the physics are kept in tact. But if a developer chooses to use older graphics then I want the game to be cheaper.

Avatar image for CubePrime_basic
CubePrime_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CubePrime_basic
Member since 2003 • 3230 Posts
How important are graphics? Jeez thats just like asking how important is a good life.LTZH
lol ;)
Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sliverwarrior
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

Graphics aren't very important to me, the game could be in 2D with sprites, if the gameplay rocks I'll buy it.

Graphics = eye candy, its fun to have but not that important.

If crysis had the same graphic quality as half-life(the first one), it would still be as fun.

I'm sorry but if graphics are everything to you, you're missing the point of gaming, which is gameplay.

I can't tell you how many awesome game you'll miss because they don't have uber-graphics.

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#25 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
For FPS's its important to me. I think the game should look as if I were really there. I think its great to be able to hide in shrubbery from other players. Without the poor graphics giving you away. Although this is also a problem on games with great graphics because there is a red arrow above your head. They should be good enough that I can distinguish things in the distance. It really just comes down to the experience. When I play RTS games I am way too involved with what I am doing to pay any attention to the graphics. As for RPGS, I really only care for action rpg's and I prefer them to be 2D like Diablo 2. A higher resolution would be nice. Finally for racing games, I think its really important to have great graphics so I can see everything in the distance and determine what I'm going to do ahead of time without having to race over and over to memorize the track.
Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts
I guess i doesnt matter to me as i still play the original C&C but i like new games to have decent graphics i would in no way buy a newly released game if it had 2d graphics.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

For me, graphics and gameplay go somewhat hand-in-hand. I'd like to have something that is easy on the eyes (after all, it's the game that you're gonna spend the next x amount of hours playing) but that has great gameplay.

If a game has freakin amazing graphics but horible gameplay, of course i'm not gonna get it.

If a game has freakin amazing gameplay but lackluster graphics, i may get it. But it depends on how lackluster they are. For example, no matter how great the gameplay, i don't want to play a game that looks like it was made in 1990.

Of course, then there is the exception of NES and SNES games. But everyone who likes those are drawn to them becuz of nostalgia :P

kort-nilsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kort-nilsen
Member since 2004 • 1161 Posts
Graphics doesn't matter that much, but physics do, as it affects the gameplay.
ZaMmAeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ZaMmAeL
Member since 2005 • 102 Posts

Graphics ARE very important, but not as much as gameplay; however, an awesome game with awesome graphics is even better.

That poll is really stupid. Half Life has great graphics, and Crysis have even better graphics, but you are putting it's graphics in a horrible game. That's just not fair. You could have freely compared them and i belive that HL would still win, since it's a game with a lot of fans (including me).

Independently of gameplay, graphics have to continue evolving.

Makemap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Makemap
Member since 2007 • 3755 Posts
For some reason half life 2 graphics make me a little dizzy. Its probably because it's too bright.
bob9999999999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 bob9999999999
Member since 2005 • 103 Posts

I still like old "crappy-graphics" games like Starcraft, but graphics can enhance a game. That being said, I'm tired of developers spending all their time/money on graphics. Graphics are important, but not as much as gameplay. I think anyone can agree that if you are playing a game online the balance and strategy far outweigh the graphics.

Most people say they like graphics, but then their favorite games turn out to be ones with only average graphics.

GAMEPLAY = REPLAYABILITY

GRAPHICS = HYPE