How good of a Blu Ray player is PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Topic ^

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

It was the best when it released and stayed like that for few months. But its not too bad now, not the best as others have improved.

DragoonSaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DragoonSaber
Member since 2009 • 536 Posts

ultra high value what i have read about in the magazines it´s almost the best. yeah you can get a better but it will cost much.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

the old fat ps3's can't bitstream ur audio, so u'll never get teh BEST sound expereince. the new slims do fine. it IS however the ONLY forward compatible blu ray player to be able to get flashed into being capable of 3D blu ray playback. the CELL and the RSX together will be able to output the 3D image (actually i dunno which part does waht....). the new range of 3D Toshiba TV's will avtually have a CELL in them!!!!3D LED HD CELL LCD TV( ACRONYMS FTW!!!)

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
Great question, as I've been wondering this myself in the past week while I've been considering the purchase of a PS3. I already own a Blu-Ray player made by Sony ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Blu-ray+Disc+Player+with+1080p+Output/9317599.p?id=1218083874972&skuId=9317599 ), so this was a big question. As in, if I get the PS3, do I keep the BluRay player even though then I'd technically have TWO BluRay players, or would I be able to give my "old" player to my parents since I'd have the player in the PS3 to use?
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

its the best one to get for anyone on these forums. because its a good guess if your on this site , you like games. so for 300 bucks you can get a good blu player plus a game system. and you can run updates on the ps3 that improves it.

i also have a samsung stand alone blu ray player. that has netflix, blockbuster, pandora, youtube. i would say its a little better because the ps3 slim makes noise when loading. and i only paid 99 bucks for it. about same price as the blu ray player in the ps3 because your getting that 200 dollar game system. but if i had to have just one i would pick ps3 for sure

Aventura54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Aventura54
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts

Firstly, the PS3 is up there in terms of picture and sound quality, however it is not the best and some of the best Blu Ray players are by sony and are around £100 now for a high end one.

Secondly, the slim is way better than the fat because it can output the sound

Thirdly, Wireless built in = BD-Live!

The PS3 Slim is a win win in my eyes.

Hope that helps

Aventura54

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Thanks guys, great help. I'll get that PS3 so, and enjoy some great games along with my Blu Rays. Thanks again :)
YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts
Its one of the best for any amount of money. Sites like CNET.com use them nearly exclusively when calibrating tvs and what not. They test other/newer Blu-Ray players and the PS3 is always there basis for comparison. Its still out performing players at twice its price.
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

Its one of the best for any amount of money. Sites like CNET.com use them nearly exclusively when calibrating tvs and what not. They test other/newer Blu-Ray players and the PS3 is always there basis for comparison. Its still out performing players at twice its price.YoungSinatra25
Well if that's the case, then maybe I can give away my current Blu-ray player without regret.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12

the old fat ps3's can't bitstream ur audio, so u'll never get teh BEST sound expereince. the new slims do fine. it IS however the ONLY forward compatible blu ray player to be able to get flashed into being capable of 3D blu ray playback. the CELL and the RSX together will be able to output the 3D image (actually i dunno which part does waht....). the new range of 3D Toshiba TV's will avtually have a CELL in them!!!!3D LED HD CELL LCD TV( ACRONYMS FTW!!!)

kungfool69

That is a complete lie, or you don't what your talking about, the PS3 does Bitstream, the fat ones and the slim,

go to Video, then under BD/DVDHDMI audio there are two options, Linear PCM and Bitstream, all PS3's are the same, sure the slim is newer and uses less power, but they all have that option, it was a firmware update.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
[QUOTE="Amith12"]

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

That is a complete lie, or you don't what your talking about, the PS3 does Bitstream, the fat ones and the slim,

go to Video, then under BD/DVDHDMI audio there are two options, Linear PCM and Bitstream, all PS3's are the same, sure the slim is newer and uses less power, but they all have that option, it was a firmware update.

yeah i think i remember a bitstream option on my old 60 gig before it died.
NiHM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NiHM
Member since 2002 • 194 Posts

No, the older playstations cannot bitstream lossless audio. The hdmi chip in them was not capable of it. Only the new slim models are capable of that. The bitstream option you see in the menu applies to Dolby Digital and DTS, not Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

No, the older playstations cannot bitstream lossless audio. The hdmi chip in them was not capable of it. Only the new slim models are capable of that. The bitstream option you see in the menu applies to Dolby Digital and DTS, not Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio.

NiHM

thank you and good night :)

my job here is done.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12

NiHM

Well I don't know what your talking about, but my 80GB PS3 and my Pioneer reciever both say that its DTS HD Master.

And if you do google search on the PS3 2.30 firmware, you will notice, that it added compatibility for DTS HD Master.

http://gizmodo.com/378180/playstation-3-firmware-update-230-brings-dts+hd-master-audio

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="NiHM"]

kungfool69

thank you and good night :)

my job here is done.

I thought that bitstreaming just meant that your PS3 does not decode the audio and sends it to your receiver so that it you get to see the display (DTS, TrueHD etc) but that there was no difference in sound quaility.

NiHM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NiHM
Member since 2002 • 194 Posts

[QUOTE="NiHM"]

Amith12

Well I don't know what your talking about, but my 80GB PS3 and my Pioneer reciever both say that its DTS HD Master.

And if you do google search on the PS3 2.30 firmware, you will notice, that it added compatibility for DTS HD Master.

http://gizmodo.com/378180/playstation-3-firmware-update-230-brings-dts+hd-master-audio

Self admittedly, you don't know what your're talking about, yet you insist on commenting anyway. That's really helpful to everyone here looking for assitance. This is not some big secret. Any reviewer worth his or her salt made note of this shortcoming in the orginal design, and any worthwhile review of the slim model also mentions this difference between the two designs. The article you linked to states what I already said, in bold print no less. From the April 2008 Gizmodo post:

Today, SCEA announced that the latest PS3 update, 2.30, would bring the ability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio tracks, that is to say, Blu-ray audio at variable bit rates up to 24.5Mbps, and 7.1 streaming of 96K/24-bit tracks. Does this make PS3 the best Blu-ray player ever? If you've got a receiver that can take an uncompressed audio stream of that magnitude via HDMI, then we think it does. UPDATE: To be clear, this decodes the DTS formats—plus Dolby's formats, including Dolby TrueHD—and outputs all channels via HDMI to a receiver that can take a 5.1 or 7.1 PCM stream. It won't do 5.1 or 7.1 analog output. Also, as some of you have noted, it does NOT bitstream the DTS or Dolby data to a decoder inside a newer decoder-equipped receiver.

/end

If you have an older model PS3, and a receiver capable of accepting uncompressed audio of the 5.1/7.1 variety over HDMI, then your PS3 should be set to output Linear PCM. If you set it to bitsream you will not get the correct audio output if you select a lossless audio track.