How does lowering the screen resolution effect a game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#1 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
Does it have anything to do with size of your monitor, or does it have to do with the graphics? I have a 19" monitor (not Widescreen), just wondering what it will happen if I lower the screen resolution from 1280x800. Will it improve game performance, lower the visuals or what? Just wondering.
onfire10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 onfire10
Member since 2006 • 339 Posts
itll look strange but it will make the game run faster
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

To directly answer your question, I'm pretty sure its some sorta pixel count going vertically and horizontally across your screen.

Anyway, a lower resolution makes everything lookbigger, and will make things "pixelated", looking lower quaility. This can noticiblyincrease performance if your pc is struggling to run a program however. In general, you want the highest possible resolution that your pc can handle.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
First, the basics: Screen resolution is the number of pixels (WxH) displayed by the monitor. More pixels = better image quality, but it also means more strain on the graphics card, which = lower performance. It also depends on the type of monitor you're using. If you're using a CRT, you can safely change resolution without any drop in image quality. LCDs, on the other hand, are designed to run at a recommended resolution, and any change from that setting -- higher or lower -- will actually result in degraded image quality. *This next part probably contains the type of information you're looking for.* I personally believe that even in 2007, 1,024x768 is a perfectly adequate resolution to run games at. It's high enough to eliminate serious pixelization, and leaves the GPU plenty of room to process higher-quality textures, lighting, and image filtering. In my opinion, it is preferable to run games with high quality at a moderate resolution than to run them with medium quality at high resolution. All those extra pixels just show off the fact that your textures aren't filtered worth a f***. :P However, if you can get good performance with high quality settings at higher resolutions, then, obviously, you should absolutely go for it (bearing in mind your monitor's refresh rate, of course).
Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts

First, the basics: Screen resolution is the number of pixels (WxH) displayed by the monitor. More pixels = better image quality, but it also means more strain on the graphics card, which = lower performance. It also depends on the type of monitor you're using. If you're using a CRT, you can safely change resolution without any drop in image quality. LCDs, on the other hand, are designed to run at a recommended resolution, and any change from that setting -- higher or lower -- will actually result in degraded image quality. *This next part probably contains the type of information you're looking for.* I personally believe that even in 2007, 1,024x768 is a perfectly adequate resolution to run games at. It's high enough to eliminate serious pixelization, and leaves the GPU plenty of room to process higher-quality textures, lighting, and image filtering. In my opinion, it is preferable to run games with high quality at a moderate resolution than to run them with medium quality at high resolution. All those extra pixels just show off the fact that your textures aren't filtered worth a f***. :P However, if you can get good performance with high quality settings at higher resolutions, then, obviously, you should absolutely go for it (bearing in mind your monitor's refresh rate, of course).JN_Fenrir

All you need to know.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
And if none that makes sense, here is an analogy =) . If I told you to draw me a picture using just a pencil and paper by drawing same sized dots, and I said. "On this paper you can only use 307,200 dots, and on this one you can use 2,073,600 dots, I want you to draw the same scene on both" That's basically what you are choosing, the above example was 640x480 (480i/480p standard television definition), and 1920x1080 (1080i/1080p high definition). Obviously you can draw me a more accurate and detailed drawing with the later, but it will take longer to do.
DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts
higher FPS is probable. and clunky looking grafx.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Does it have anything to do with size of your monitor, or does it have to do with the graphics? I have a 19" monitor (not Widescreen), just wondering what it will happen if I lower the screen resolution from 1280x800. Will it improve game performance, lower the visuals or what? Just wondering.chandlerr_360

First off, 1280x800 is a WIDESCREEN resolution. So if that's what your non-widescreen monitor is set at, then everything looks wrong to begin with. The numbers means the amount of pixels horizontally x pixels vertically. The highers the numbers, the better everything will look, but at the cost of performance. I personally have my non-widescreen monitor set at 1280x1024.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="chandlerr_360"]Does it have anything to do with size of your monitor, or does it have to do with the graphics? I have a 19" monitor (not Widescreen), just wondering what it will happen if I lower the screen resolution from 1280x800. Will it improve game performance, lower the visuals or what? Just wondering.Johnny_Rock

First off, 1280x800 is a WIDESCREEN resolution. So if that's what your non-widescreen monitor is set at, then everything looks wrong to begin with. The numbers means the amount of pixels horizontally x pixels vertically. The highers the numbers, the better everything will look, but at the cost of performance. I personally have my non-widescreen monitor set at 1280x1024.

Do you know that 1280x1024 is actually a tall screen resolution? It's common on most LCD monitors these days, but it isn't the standard resolution of a monitor. Here are a few standard resolutions you'd find on you're every day CRT monitor:

640x480
800x600
1024x768
1280x960
1600x1200

To the OP, if you post if you're monitor is CRT or LCD, and if it is LCD, can you post what the native resolution is (probably the resolution you're running at now), and I'll be able to give you more direct help.

doktron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 doktron
Member since 2003 • 263 Posts

lowering resolution increases performance(higher FPS)but decreases graphics (less detail,decreased sharpness).

Thenative resolution for a standard 19 inchmonitor (not widescreen) is 1280x1024,but some games use 1280x960.

Multiplying the 2 numbers gives you the number of pixels being displayed on the monitor.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 1carus

Thenative resolution for a standard 19 inchmonitor (not widescreen) is 1280x1024,but some games use 1280x960.doktron

As I've already stated, no it's not. 1280x1024 is TALL screen, and not the regular size of a standard 19 inch monitor. Going by the standard ratio of 800x600, 1024x768, the next res is 1280x960. 1280x1024 is a current LCD monitor resolution, and a very popular one at that, but it is not the standard ratio.

nappy65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nappy65_basic
Member since 2002 • 1234 Posts
Yes. It is 5:4 instead of 4:3. Games still look fine at that resolution though.
1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 1carus

Yes. It is 5:4 instead of 4:3. Games still look fine at that resolution though.nappy65_basic

Not always. I've got a 1280x1024 LCD Monitor, and Quake 3 doesn't have that resolution nor ratio, so the side of the screen gets cut off. Quite annoying actually. DOS games also don't work properly for obvious reasons.