How can I tell if 'G-Sync' in my Asus ROG G-Sync IPS Monitor is working?

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

So I brought a ASUS ROG 17" G752VT Gaming Laptop several months ago (see Amazon Screen shot below) which comes with 17" IPS G-Sync screen. But I would like confirmation that G-Sync is indeed working. I have played through BF3 on this Gaming Laptop (despite it crashing like 3 dozen times) haven't noticed any visual tearing or anything. Only times I noticed where frames were not in Sync were times where my GTX 970M exceeded the refresh rate of the G-Sync range where frames where higher than the G-Sync range (which is normal behavior).

This is the laptop I brought from Amazon:

The only difference is that I added a Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD and put the 1TB in the secondary Hard Drive Bay for a total of 1.256GB TB of HD space. When I updated to the latest nVidia drivers (to fix BF3 crashes which it didn't) it stated that it detected a G-Sync monitor.

nVidia control panel states that G-Sync has been detected.

I have set G-Sync settings on nVidia Control panel:

Is there a quick test (a tech demo similar to what AMD has with FreeSync windmill demo where I can turn on/off FreeSync) likewise where I can turn on/off G-Sync to see if it's working or not. I have read on forums where people had to jump through BIOS settings and play with other settings to get G-Sync to work on their monitor. I spent boat load of $$$ on this Asus 17" ROG nVidia G-Sync laptop and paid the extra $200+ premium to get a G-Sync monitor over a standard monitor and not to mention I could have gotten a thinner and slimmer monitor without the G-Sync. I would hate to find out that's it's not working after spending so much money.

So, is there any quick test to see if G-Sync is working or not?

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I was wondering this myself. I have Gsync turned on in the control panel but I can see screen tearing in overwatch occasionally. Would be nice to know for sure if Gsync is enabled and working.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@achilles614 said:

I was wondering this myself. I have Gsync turned on in the control panel but I can see screen tearing in overwatch occasionally. Would be nice to know for sure if Gsync is enabled and working.

GSYNC does not operate when the frame rate goes above your set refresh rate.. You can fix tearing when it goes above by either limiting the fps to the refresh rate through something like rivatuner.. Or activate fast sync in the 3d settings in the NVidia control panel under the vsync options.. It can be used in tandem with the two. Fast sync though only works for the newest chips though, so you can stop it simply by limiting the frame rate of the game.

KyleGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By KyleGates
Member since 2002 • 2997 Posts

http://www.testufo.com

All the screen tests you need. Well, minus Chroma I think.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#5 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@KyleGates said:

http://www.testufo.com

All the screen tests you need. Well, minus Chroma I think.

Great! Thanks!