This topic is locked from further discussion.

Corenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Corenz
Member since 2003 • 452 Posts

Upgrade my ram, I just bought a new gateway with 4 gigs(2 sticks) but i'd like to stick another 2 sticks in it. I know how to install it, what I need to know is does it make a difference what type of ram I get, how much my motherboard actually supports, & if it does make a difference what kind of ram how I can find out whats already in it(without opening the case up if possible, but not that important). Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
First off with the 4gigs you have a 32-bit OS is not going to use all that or even see it, which you will have to upgrade to a 64-bit OS. You should have gotten something with the computer that details all the specs, most motherboards will come with a manual that will go through every little detail and will tell you how much it can support. It also should tell you what kind of RAM is supported whether its pc-5300 RAM or pc-6400. Putting slower RAM in will default the faster RAM to the slower settings.
Corenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Corenz
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit System Memory = Up to 8 GB of DDR2 667/800 MHz SDRAM (dual-channel support on four DIMMs) So can I stick two more 2 gig sticks in it, will I see any performance ince if I can, thanks again. Also I wanted to ask about extra hard drives, do I have to install a OS on an extra HD, because my pc didnt come with disks(just preinstalled BS, but I do have an old copy of XP around here somewhere. What I want is to just have a backup & maybe throw my music and vids on the extra HD, thanks alot!!
chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 chadw_genx
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts
Corenz, I believe it's : It's hard being humble when you're perfect in every way. LOL, anyways no offense by that, but if you're claiming perfection at least get your grammar right. You of course will see improvement gains in performance when installing an extra 2 sticks of memory and you can just throw an extra hdd in without needing to install your OS on it. See suffolk757.com for an article I wrote about increasing PC performance by using an extra hard disk drive as your source for your OS's swap file. If you want to replace your current hdd, use drive image xml to clone your first hdd. Cheers mate!
Corenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Corenz
good catch there, LOL!!! thanks for the info, much appreciated. Ok well I have an internal HD from my old PC upstairs, but it has XP home on it, my old PC wont start up right now(PSU shot) can I just pop it in this new PC & it will be recognized without conflicts cuz the different OS's, that would sure be nice, it has all my old music & stuff on it, thanks alot, you've been most helpful!!
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts
You will need to find out the speed of your current ram, type dxdiag into run or download a free program called cpu-z that will tell you, google it. There is no point getting ram that is faster than your current ram, as your ram always goes as fast as your lowest speed. Also check which type of ram your motherboard accepts, DDR,DDR2,DDR3... Also if your motherboard supports dual running or whatever it's called get the same type, as it will make it faster. Also your motherboard will have certain speeds that it supports so find those out.