HL 2 Error Message, Vista

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FrostHertz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FrostHertz
Member since 2004 • 2240 Posts

I launch Half Life 2 and when It loads after the Valve logo has been shown, it shuts down the game and displays this error message: ''Engine Error'' Platform Error: module failed to initialize.

What causes this? Im running windows vista..

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

I launch Half Life 2 and when It loads after the Valve logo has been shown, it shuts down the game and displays this error message: ''Engine Error'' Platform Error: module failed to initialize.

FrostHertz
Try this..go to program files.. then go to your steam folder...and right click on steam.exe.. go to properties>compatibility>run this program as administrator...
FrostHertz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FrostHertz
Member since 2004 • 2240 Posts
[QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

devious742

Try this..go to program files.. then go to your steam folder...and right click on steam.exe.. go to properties>compatibility>run this program as administrator...

Didnt work

t0adphr0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 t0adphr0g
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

FrostHertz

You answered your own question.

Reformat reinstall with Windows XP and the game will run flawlessly.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts
[QUOTE="t0adphr0g"][QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

Deihmos

This error doesn't have a single thing to do with the OS he is using or else everyone using Vista will experience the same problem and there are a lot of people with Xp havign the same problem. You don't need to use any compatibility with Steam either or run as admin. Steam has officially ceased support for Windows 98/ME and are now supporting Vista.

Always try the official forums Link or better yet Google. Looks like you need to install the Steam SDK base because most mods need it. Try the official forums because there are a lot of of suggestions.

I had a problem with steam..I couldnt download games,demos,etc then i did that "runs as administrator" and it works now...
arneolai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 arneolai
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts

i had the same problem, but i figured out a solution:

go to File-> Settings -> In-game -> and remove the hook from Use Steam Community in-game.

xero88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xero88
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

ok. so go into steam open the file tab go into settings and into In-game un cheak the use steam community.

should run fine after that!

humbugdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 humbugdude
Member since 2004 • 278 Posts
has nothing to do with vista stop blaming it. have a lot of source engine games and they paly fine with vista.
error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts

right click on your HL2 icon and in the target box, add this, " -novid +map_backround none" just like that without the quotes.

EDIT: be sure to add the spaces

EdEnEdItS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EdEnEdItS
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

ok. so go into steam open the file tab go into settings and into In-game un cheak the use steam community.

should run fine after that!

xero88

Out of everything else i have read on the web, what i have quoted above if the only thing that worked

Thanks!

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
[QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

t0adphr0g

Ok I'm seriously getting tired of people hating on Vista. It's not cool anymore. I have Vista Home Premium and it's great! I like it way more than XP. I also bought the Orange Box and have been playing all my favorite games without any problems.

wanzmot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wanzmot
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts

FrostHertz

U see it's an 'Engine Error', and it said 'fail to initialize'. so i guess ur system simply cannot support the game.

and Half-life2 is designed for Windows XP and earlier systems.

redberet22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 redberet22
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

wanzmot

U see it's an 'Engine Error', and it said 'fail to initialize'. so i guess ur system simply cannot support the game.

And where are you getting your information? I'm running a clean install of XP with all current drivers on fairly decent hardware. I played the game for four hours yesterday, I'm getting the same error message as the OP today.

Since the game ran just fine yesterday, obviously my system supports it. Since I have the EXACT SAME ERROR in XP as the other guy has in Vista, it's probably not an operating system issue. Also, I was playing Portal, TF2, and Dark Messiah earlier today to see if other Source/Steam games were messed up. HL2 is the ONLY game giving me problems.

I guess the moral of the story is: if you have nothing useful to contribute or any response based on facts, shut the hell up.

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
[QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

wanzmot

That doesn't mean it doesn't work fine in Vista, try buying vista and testing it yourself. Vista isn't perfect, but its not the anti-christ which seems to be what some gamers see it as

thunderboltx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thunderboltx7
Member since 2006 • 83 Posts

i have the same problem and same error message, but im running windows xp. I don't know what the problem is. i also have something like "vortex error" and then the game crashes.

thunderboltx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thunderboltx7
Member since 2006 • 83 Posts

The exact error is "Engine Error: failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer". ???????????????????????????????????????????????? What the heck does this mean???????????????????????????????

It says this right after the game crashed, which i don't know why??

specs:

958MB RAM, GeForce 6150 LE 256MB, 2.0 GHz, AMD dual core 3800+ X2

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="t0adphr0g"][QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

Forerunner-117

Ok I'm seriously getting tired of people hating on Vista. It's not cool anymore. I have Vista Home Premium and it's great! I like it way more than XP. I also bought the Orange Box and have been playing all my favorite games without any problems.

Agreed, it's really getting tiresome. Only the ignorant and ill-informed continue to bash Vista. I have had Vista Home Premium 64 running flawlessly on my machine for six months now with no problems gaming.

Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts
[QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="t0adphr0g"][QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

Gooeykat

Agreed, it's really getting tiresome. Only the ignorant and ill-informed continue to bash Vista. I have had Vista Home Premium 64 running flawlessly on my machine for six months now with no problems gaming.

Im using XP, and I think Vista is good. But I cant bring myself to trust it. Just cant.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="Gooeykat"][QUOTE="Forerunner-117"][QUOTE="t0adphr0g"][QUOTE="FrostHertz"]

Kolossi

Im using XP, and I think Vista is good. But I cant bring myself to trust it. Just cant.

So dual boot. I have Vista and XP on my machine and every time I boot up my computer it gives me the option to choose which OS I want to use. I had my concerns as well in the beginning, that's why I did this.

Sub-Zero_SUCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Sub-Zero_SUCKS
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
Hey!!! Works fine for the XP users (including myself thank you very much)!
FuelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FuelX
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Ty Arneolai, ty xero88 "go into steam open the file tab go into settings and into In-game un cheak the use steam community." works for me!