Hey guys I'm having problems with my old alienware m9700 series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts

I've had this laptop for 3 years and now just recently it goes to black screen where you can choose start windows normally and I've tried all of them but it keeps going straight too the blue screen and restarts over and over again. I've taken out the hdd cleaned it, took the battery out and got the dust off etc, but still does it anyone know a fix to this yet. I really don't won't too have to buy new ram I'm cheap :P so please help if you can

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

I've had this laptop for 3 years and now just recently it goes to black screen where you can choose start windows normally and I've tried all of them but it keeps going straight too the blue screen and restarts over and over again. I've taken out the hdd cleaned it, took the battery out and got the dust off etc, but still does it anyone know a fix to this yet. I really don't won't too have to buy new ram I'm cheap :P so please help if you can

XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Probably boot data that got corrupted on the hard drive. Do you happen to have a restore disc or a windows CD?DVD? You could try to repair your windows partition, if that doesn't work you might have to do a full restore.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
[QUOTE="XD4NTESINF3RNOX"]

tequilasunriser
Probably boot data that got corrupted on the hard drive. Do you happen to have a restore disc or a windows CD?DVD? You could try to repair your windows partition, if that doesn't work you might have to do a full restore.

I don't have the restore disc on me at my house which is 6hrs away at my apt. and typing this on my desktop so should I just do the full restore?
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tequilasunriser
That's the way I like to do it. If I encounter any kind of error I usually skip repairing windows and go for a full reformat. It might be a hassle to some but Its peace of mind to me. If you don't want to do a full restore try to repair your windows partition first. Google it, there are tons of guides. If repairing or restoring doesn't work check back with the forum and maybe something else can be suggested. At that point it could certainly be a hardware issue.
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XD4NTESINF3RNOX

That's the way I like to do it. If I encounter any kind of error I usually skip repairing windows and go for a full reformat. It might be a hassle to some but Its peace of mind to me. If you don't want to do a full restore try to repair your windows partition first. Google it, there are tons of guides. If repairing or restoring doesn't work check back with the forum and maybe something else can be suggested. At that point it could certainly be a hardware issue.tequilasunriser
yeah the problem really is that I can't even go into safe mode or anything loads the windows xp then gives me the blue screen and restarts itself hope i explained it better. Also when I try safe mode it gives me partiotn1\WINDOWS.0\system32.\drivers and a whole list of stuff like that got any clue?

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tequilasunriser

Yeah sounds like corrupt boot files. Try the repair if that doesn't work do a full restore.

If you have any important data on the hard drive you can recover it by removing it from your laptop and connecting it to your PC provided they have the same interface. Then just access the C:\Documents and Settings folder or where ever... drag and drop... etc., etc. Obviously, you'd want to do this before restoring.