Hey guys could you please answer these questions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
Ok...these are the specifications of my Desktop :- Operating Sysytem :-Microsoft Windows XP home Edition System Pack 2 Processor :-Intel Pentium 4 Processor 540J with Hyper-Threading Technology (3.20 Ghz,1 MB L2 Cache,800 Mhz FSB,90nm) Random Access Memory :-512 MB (400 Mhz DDR SDRAM memory) Graphics card :-ATI Radeon X300 SE PCI Express with TV-out port (with 128 MB dynamic video memory) DVD-ROM :-Lightscribe Double Layer 16X DVD+/-R / +/-RW Drive) Hard Disk :-160 GB (7200 RPM Serial ATA hard drive) 17" CRT HP monitor (native resolution 1280 x 1024) Questions :- 1.)I plan on building a new computer to replace the old one.I want to know if I should buy the motherboard first and then buy the other components one at a time OR should I buy the components first and ten choose the motherboard. 2.)I plan on buying one of the following monitors :- http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/graphicseries/vg2230wm/ OR http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2235wm/ So which monitor would be a better choice? 3.)If I were to buy a 8800GTX , would I be able to play Crysis(when it arrives) and most recent games at 1680 x 1050 with all the settings turned on? 4.)Should I stick to Windows XP or should I upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate? 5.)Should I upgrade the RAM,motherboard,processor etc. and buy a decent GPU like the 7900gt or the X1900 to last me for 2-3 years or should I wait till summer to build the PC? 6.)Could you also recommend the specificatons for a good GAMING RIG.My budget is around 2000-2300 dollars. Thanks in advance for answering all my questions!
Avatar image for TheLiberalTruth
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheLiberalTruth
Member since 2005 • 3151 Posts
I suggest the widescreen monitor. I love my 19" widescreen and I don't think I'll ever buy another 4:3 monitor again. You should buy all the components at once, and if you want vista, I suggest you wait since there's limited driver support mated with the bugs that microsoft will certainly work out. You'd be paying a crap ton of money to be a beta tester for microsoft, not something I would feel good doing. I suggest you put your $2000+ in the bank for a few months until AMD's new CPUs and GPUs come out, and maybe even until the first service pack comes out for vista.
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 nohabs
Member since 2004 • 10797 Posts

I would start by picking the CPU first, then the mobo, then the vid card

example...intel E6600 CPU.....intel D975 xbx 2 motherboard....then the 8800GTX

tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tratyu92
BUMP
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
[QUOTE="tratyu92"]Questions :- 1.)I plan on building a new computer to replace the old one.I want to know if I should buy the motherboard first and then buy the other components one at a time OR should I buy the components first and ten choose the motherboard. 2.)I plan on buying one of the following monitors :- http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/graphicseries/vg2230wm/ OR http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2235wm/ So which monitor would be a better choice? 3.)If I were to buy a 8800GTX , would I be able to play Crysis(when it arrives) and most recent games at 1680 x 1050 with all the settings turned on? 4.)Should I stick to Windows XP or should I upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate? 5.)Should I upgrade the RAM,motherboard,processor etc. and buy a decent GPU like the 7900gt or the X1900 to last me for 2-3 years or should I wait till summer to build the PC? 6.)Could you also recommend the specificatons for a good GAMING RIG.My budget is around 2000-2300 dollars. Thanks in advance for answering all my questions!

1.  I would suggest buying the components first.  You may choose a motherboard right away, but by choosing your components first, you get more control.  There's a huge variation in motherboards so that helps, just make sure you get things from the same "era" and compatible with each other.  That is, don't expect DDR 266 RAM to work with an Intel 2 Duo processor as you'll likely need DDR2 (and a motherboard with such slots).
2.  They seem almost identical, but the 2230 version uses less power (38 watts versus 48) and has less powerful speakers.  They're otherwise identical.  With the 2230 costing about $40 less, I would suggest that.  If you need speakers, you can just hook up new ones to your sound card, especially if you want a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system.  Do note that LCD's are not strongly in my realm of knowledge (I understand most of the techical terms, I just never really experienced one).
3.  I'm not familiar with "Crysis", but the 8800 GTX should power away almost everything with max or near max settings.
4.  I would stick with XP for now.  Vista has a lot of driver-related issues from what I've seen and I would only recommend upgrading to Vista when at least the first service pack is released which should have most of the bugs patched up.
5.  Waiting has many benefits.  As early as March from what I've seen, DirectX 10 video cards would be available and the 8800 GTX would be cheaper yet with, perhaps, another more enhanced product line available for the same price you can get the 8800 GTX today.
6.  One thing I would suggest is that, instead of getting an LCD monitor, get a CRT as you can get a CRT supporting 1920x1440 resolution for USD$250 including shipping.  LCD's only have one native resolution supported and using a resolution other than that could cause an inferior-looking image.  CRT's don't have this restriction.  I would also suggest a Core 2 Duo for the processor and at least 1 GB of memory (2 GB recommended).  Hard drives are cheapest by the unit around the 120 to 250 GB range (lowest price per gigabyte).  I would also suggest getting a sound card instead of using onboard sound since a sound card has much better quality and performance.  The X-Fi series from Creative are the best sound cards around.  I have the X-Fi Platinum, which costs around $180 or so.  As to video cards, you can either buy a cheap 7600 GT for around $110 for now (or something cheaper and weaker) and when the DirectX 10 cards come, buy a much more decent DX10 card and sell your old card at around 1/3 to 1/2 the price.  Either that, or just wait for the DX10 cards to come out.  Other than this, I don't know what else to say.
tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tratyu92
[QUOTE="ulillillia"][QUOTE="tratyu92"]Questions :- 1.)I plan on building a new computer to replace the old one.I want to know if I should buy the motherboard first and then buy the other components one at a time OR should I buy the components first and ten choose the motherboard. 2.)I plan on buying one of the following monitors :- http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/graphicseries/vg2230wm/ OR http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx2235wm/ So which monitor would be a better choice? 3.)If I were to buy a 8800GTX , would I be able to play Crysis(when it arrives) and most recent games at 1680 x 1050 with all the settings turned on? 4.)Should I stick to Windows XP or should I upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate? 5.)Should I upgrade the RAM,motherboard,processor etc. and buy a decent GPU like the 7900gt or the X1900 to last me for 2-3 years or should I wait till summer to build the PC? 6.)Could you also recommend the specificatons for a good GAMING RIG.My budget is around 2000-2300 dollars. Thanks in advance for answering all my questions!

1.  I would suggest buying the components first.  You may choose a motherboard right away, but by choosing your components first, you get more control.  There's a huge variation in motherboards so that helps, just make sure you get things from the same "era" and compatible with each other.  That is, don't expect DDR 266 RAM to work with an Intel 2 Duo processor as you'll likely need DDR2 (and a motherboard with such slots).
2.  They seem almost identical, but the 2230 version uses less power (38 watts versus 48) and has less powerful speakers.  They're otherwise identical.  With the 2230 costing about $40 less, I would suggest that.  If you need speakers, you can just hook up new ones to your sound card, especially if you want a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system.  Do note that LCD's are not strongly in my realm of knowledge (I understand most of the techical terms, I just never really experienced one).
3.  I'm not familiar with "Crysis", but the 8800 GTX should power away almost everything with max or near max settings.
4.  I would stick with XP for now.  Vista has a lot of driver-related issues from what I've seen and I would only recommend upgrading to Vista when at least the first service pack is released which should have most of the bugs patched up.
5.  Waiting has many benefits.  As early as March from what I've seen, DirectX 10 video cards would be available and the 8800 GTX would be cheaper yet with, perhaps, another more enhanced product line available for the same price you can get the 8800 GTX today.
6.  One thing I would suggest is that, instead of getting an LCD monitor, get a CRT as you can get a CRT supporting 1920x1440 resolution for USD$250 including shipping.  LCD's only have one native resolution supported and using a resolution other than that could cause an inferior-looking image.  CRT's don't have this restriction.  I would also suggest a Core 2 Duo for the processor and at least 1 GB of memory (2 GB recommended).  Hard drives are cheapest by the unit around the 120 to 250 GB range (lowest price per gigabyte).  I would also suggest getting a sound card instead of using onboard sound since a sound card has much better quality and performance.  The X-Fi series from Creative are the best sound cards around.  I have the X-Fi Platinum, which costs around $180 or so.  As to video cards, you can either buy a cheap 7600 GT for around $110 for now (or something cheaper and weaker) and when the DirectX 10 cards come, buy a much more decent DX10 card and sell your old card at around 1/3 to 1/2 the price.  Either that, or just wait for the DX10 cards to come out.  Other than this, I don't know what else to say.

You were so helpful.Thanks for the help.