Help with potential build.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lilkarlh666
#1 Edited by lilkarlh666 (160 posts) -

Hey guy's, i have been looking at a new build for myself. However i am unsure if the power supply will be enough.

PSU - Corsair AX860i

gpu - 2 AMD R 290 X

cpu - Intel 4770K Haswell

Motherboard - Asus Formula VI

SSD - 2 corsair force 3 240 GB

Case - Corsair C70

Cpu Cooler - Corsair H100i

1. Will the case be big enough to house the two gpu's

2. Will the psi be powerful enough to handle all of this.

I no 2 r 290 x is overkill but i have a 4k monitor on pre order, just waiting for a dispatch time so that's why i went with the two as i have seen that one can handle it but not greatly.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#2 Edited by 04dcarraher (22230 posts) -

Are you sure you want r290x's? They are in short supply and have their prices upto $150+ higher then their launch price , A good alternate would be The GTX 780 for $490 each and they are only on average 5% slower then 290x's and getting a pre overclocked or you overclocking yourself will allow the gpu to be on par to surpassing the 290x. Are you gong to get a normal harddrive for non ssd stuff? Now as for the psu two 290x's can draw upto 300w each(~600w total) at full tilt so that would leave you roughly 260w for the rest of the system You have a cpu can can use upto 85w without overclocking then all the other items. Better off getting a larger psu for head room, options and not pushing the psu.

GTX 780

PSU

Avatar image for PredatorRules
#3 Edited by PredatorRules (11061 posts) -

@lilkarlh666 said:

Hey guy's, i have been looking at a new build for myself. However i am unsure if the power supply will be enough.

PSU - Corsair AX860i

gpu - 2 AMD R 290 X

cpu - Intel 4770K Haswell

Motherboard - Asus Formula VI

SSD - 2 corsair force 3 240 GB

Case - Corsair C70

Cpu Cooler - Corsair H100i

1. Will the case be big enough to house the two gpu's

2. Will the psi be powerful enough to handle all of this.

I no 2 r 290 x is overkill but i have a 4k monitor on pre order, just waiting for a dispatch time so that's why i went with the two as i have seen that one can handle it but not greatly.

1) Yes

2) Yes

Avatar image for lilkarlh666
#4 Posted by lilkarlh666 (160 posts) -

@04dcarraher: From the supplier i use the r 290 x is actually the exact same price as the gtx 780. I was looking at the 780 at first as i always use nvidia usually but for this build looks as well as performance matter as it will also be used for advert purposes for a shop i work with.

With regards to the psu i could change that to the xfx 1000W if that is any better but i did want to stick with the corsair brand, however the ax 1200i won't be in stock until the end of jan, but i need it built by tuesday next week.

Avatar image for PredatorRules
#5 Edited by PredatorRules (11061 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

Are you sure you want r290x's? They are in short supply and have their prices upto $150+ higher then their launch price , A good alternate would be The GTX 780 for $490 each

I agree, 2 780s will save you much money and are faster than 2 290Xs.

http://youtu.be/djvZaHHU4I8?t=8m47s

Avatar image for kraken2109
#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

It's a corsair AX, it'll do it.

Avatar image for 04dcarraher
#7 Posted by 04dcarraher (22230 posts) -
@lilkarlh666 said:

@04dcarraher:

With regards to the psu i could change that to the xfx 1000W if that is any better but i did want to stick with the corsair brand, however the ax 1200i won't be in stock until the end of jan, but i need it built by tuesday next week.

There multiple psu's brand you can choose from that have the same type of quality. like the one I posted.but if you want to stick with corsair you should also look at the HX series because you can get a Corsair HX 1050w

Avatar image for 560ti
#8 Edited by 560ti (194 posts) -

Be careful with purchasing a 4K monitor. Most of the model coming out are going to be crappy TN panels with mediocre picture quality (Instead of getting a 5 out of 10 quality 4K monitor, you'd be better of getting a 10 out of 10 1600P monitor instead).

Avatar image for lilkarlh666
#9 Posted by lilkarlh666 (160 posts) -

I have finalised the build and got it ordered on sunday, however it won't be here until tomorrow. The final build i chose in the end was :

cpu - intel 4770k

motherboard - asus vi formula

cpu cooler - corsair h100i

psu - corsair ax 860i

gpu - 2 x radeon r9 290x

ssd - samsung evo pro 120gb

hdd - western digital velociraptor 1tb

case - corsair carbide air 540

extras - corsair af 120 pam fans to put onto the h100i, corsair red led sp120 high speed fans

I can't wait to get a build done again, it's been away to long since i had one.

Avatar image for mattamomo
#10 Posted by mattamomo (927 posts) -

Dat psu, dat HDD, dat Mobo, dat CPU, dem GPUs . . .

Never have I been so jealous

Avatar image for 560ti
#11 Edited by 560ti (194 posts) -

I wouldn't crossfire 2xAMD cards to be honest (both the HD 6000/7000 series had serious time periods of awful driver support).

Paying $1000+ on GPUs and then having to worry about microstruttering and poor 2nd card performance increase all kinda defeats the purporse of paying $1000+ on GPUs.......... (I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many people come to this board complaining/regretting cross-firing AMD cards).

As two other people have already told you, 2x780s are cheaper while offering better performance and better driver support (so that's a no brainer).