Help with 504 error message

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

I use Yahoo mail as my main email service now as I'm using my landlord's router for my internet connection and his ISP doesn't provide email service.

Until recently, it worked fine but now, when I try to log onto Yahoo via Firefox, I just keep getting a page load error.  I tried using the IP address directly, but still get the same error. When I try IE 7, I get the following message:

504 Gateway Timeout

Gateway Timeout

The following error occurred:

[code=DNS_TIMEOUT] A DNS lookup error occurred because the request timed out during the lookup.

I've not changed anything on my end vis a vis port settings, firewalls, or the like and I can still access all other webpages so I assume he's done somthing on his end.  Thing is, he's pretty much computer illiterate but won't admit it.  Hell, he's even got the wifi completely unsecured although he's convinced it's password protected.

Anyway, I assume he's somehow inadvertently changed the settings on the router. I want to go in an have a look, but he won't give me the router password.

Any ideas?

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bogaty
bump
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
Have you tried pinging Yahoo in the console and seeing if you get a response back? Elsewise, try temporarily changing your DNS server address to another DNS server (such as OpenDNS) and seeing if that makes any difference at all. Here's how to change it on your PC - https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/computer/ Although It's strange that you're getting a DNS error if you're using the IP :S
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bogaty

Still get the message.  The only way around it is to use a proxy bypass which tells me that the landlord has somehow altered the router settings but doesn't realize it.