Help Understanding Processors

This topic is locked from further discussion.

myspence_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 myspence_basic
Member since 2003 • 2165 Posts
If I am looking at getting a new processor, what kinds of things should I be looking at? Is the only thing that matters how many GHz it has, and what is considered fine for gaming?  Also, what do things like dual core mean?
j3ninja10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 j3ninja10
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts
use google to find an answer, web is full of info
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Dual Core = Standard now. I wouldn't waste my time w/ a single core cpu...go dual or quad if you've got the $. As usual, more GHz = good, but now it should be judged relateive to its processor family (i.e. Core 2 duo's v other c2ds, X2's vs other X2's) imo. If you're patient, wait until late april for the prices of Core 2 duos to come down. Low end I'd recommend a cheap core 2 duo, high end an expensive Core 2 duo or Core 2 quad...that's what I think, anyway. Any C2D and most if not all the X2s are great for gaming...heck, until my comp gets here, I'm still on a P4 =P
cuthroatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cuthroatt
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Well lets see, like yoshi said, dual core is pretty much standard right now, what that is is pretty much self explanatory, two processors in one (there are also quad cores with four). It then divys up the processes between the two cores, making multitasking and really anything much faster. Because of that you're gunna notice that the speed (Ghz) of the Dual core is typically lower than a single core of the same price (but theoretically u get twice as much much out of a dual core). In a laptop i would definetally go with a dual core (because space and cooling is limited), but in a tower PC u can get away with a single core if your strapped for money, because Desktops stay much cooler. Your games are really going to shine on a 2.13 or 2.4 dual core processor

Hope i wasn't to redundant

Avatar image for bob_the_blob_24
bob_the_blob_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 bob_the_blob_24
Member since 2003 • 184 Posts

If I am looking at getting a new processor, what kinds of things should I be looking at? Is the only thing that matters how many GHz it has, and what is considered fine for gaming? Also, what do things like dual core mean?
myspence_basic

The processing speed of CPUs these days (which would be the GHz) should not be looked at as a big factor in deciding which processors are better. Technology is becoming so advanced that a Core 2 Duo E6600 at 2.4 GHz can do so much more than a Pentium 4 at 3.4 GHz. If you research CPUs enough you'll notice that each one has a "manufacturing tech" which is a number followed by "nm" which stands for nanometers. For a Core 2 Duo E6600, the manufacutring tech is 65 nm, which means each line of data on the CPU chip is only 65 nm apart from each other. The smaller the number the better because then you can fit more power and technology on the same surface area.

Now for dual cores. You can think of a core like a brain. All processors used to have only one core, or one "brain." Now the average processor has dual (two) cores, or two "brains." Manufacturers almost always multiply their last amount by 2, so the next-gen processors have quad (four) cores, or four "brains." The benefit is pretty obvious: the more cores, or brains, the more processing power on one chip. I hope this explanation answers your questions.

myspence_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 myspence_basic
Member since 2003 • 2165 Posts

Thanks guys, it helps a lot.

(sorry for the thread res, just thought they needed to be thanked) 

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

You're most welcome :)

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts
IDK, considering the processing capabilities of using only one core on a dual core processor, since few games are even multi-core capable at this time, getting a cheap, but powerful single core processor isn't really a bad idea.  Something like an Athlon 64 4000 would still tear even a Core 2 Duo apart in a single-core capable application.  And when it comes to multi-tasking, such a high yield processor manages on it's own.  It's better to play BF2 or 2142 with Windows Media Player running on the Athlon 64 4000, than to do the same tasks on a Turion X2, simply because the programs at hand are not equiped to multi-thread into more than one CPU.  Damn I kinda wish I had my Athlon 64 4000 powered Gateway lappy still................but then again, I'm dual core ready now, as more and more games and applications are getting on the multi-threading bandwagon, like Crysis :D  Now all I need for Crysis is an Asus XG.
jfelisario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jfelisario
Member since 2006 • 2753 Posts

IDK, considering the processing capabilities of using only one core on a dual core processor, since few games are even multi-core capable at this time, getting a cheap, but powerful single core processor isn't really a bad idea. Something like an Athlon 64 4000 would still tear even a Core 2 Duo apart in a single-core capable application. And when it comes to multi-tasking, such a high yield processor manages on it's own. It's better to play BF2 or 2142 with Windows Media Player running on the Athlon 64 4000, than to do the same tasks on a Turion X2, simply because the programs at hand are not equiped to multi-thread into more than one CPU. Damn I kinda wish I had my Athlon 64 4000 powered Gateway lappy still................but then again, I'm dual core ready now, as more and more games and applications are getting on the multi-threading bandwagon, like Crysis :D Now all I need for Crysis is an Asus XG.mouthforbathory

athlon 64 beating core 2 duo? uhh no. all benches show that the core 2 duo's are superior, and the matches for them are the high end athlon 64 x2 and the fx series, 60 and above. it doesn't mean that since they are multi-core that they are gimping each logical processor, they are running at full function. As for the game utilizing multi-core, the chip makers are pushing the game developers to utilize the technology, and we have quite a few multi-threaded games already, stalker, oblivion, supreme commander, and games are slowly but surely being patched to use this. 

here we have intel with their game dev tool: http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070410comp.htm?iid=pr1_releasepri_20070410m

AMD is doing the same things with events that showcase the technology and are pushing the agenda. It's naive to push the single-core idea when the multi-cores have outpaced them and then some.

2o35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 2o35
Member since 2005 • 90 Posts
use google to find an answer, web is full of infoj3ninja10
heh. thats really helpful. clearly he doesnt wanna use google to find an answer he wants to ask gamespot users. web is full of info gamespot IS part of the web. what a silly post. Like everyone has been saying tho about GHz speed, that its not really as significant as it used to be as games are more reliant now on video cards... but one thing you should consider is: dual core processors are not fully optomized in modern computers; not everything is compatable. in some cases, dual cores mess things up a bit but i wouldnt worry about it as everything is modernizing into dual core processors. one of the best things to do is go to a website like newegg.com or ncix.com and under the Processors section check which ones are the most popular (bought the most) and even read the posts about those as many people ask questions there to as to which one should they get. www.ncix.com www.newegg.com
adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts
just make sure you get an Intel Core 2 Duo and you should be fine