Headphone suggestion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xiayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 xiayan
Member since 2007 • 835 Posts

I prefer headsets over headphones just because I don't like just having a mic sitting on my desk picking up all kinds of sounds (Unless they got better over the past couple of years)

Anyway looking for a very good quality headphone/headset in the range of 80-120 bucks.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I've generally found all headsets to be complete and total crap for quality. If the mic is good, the headphones are terrible. If the headphones are good(which is never the case), the mic is horrible.

My advice? Get yourself a decent pair of audiophile quality headphones and a clip-on mic. Zalman makes a fairly popular clip-on mic. I forgot the actual product description. Its neither great or terrible quality, but it doesn't limit your headphone selection.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

if you live in the states then I suggest the JVC HARX 700. It costs about $35 and its better than my $150 shure srh750dj headphones or almost as good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

I bought a refurbbed Sennheiser HD555 off of Amazon. I'm not an audiophile, but I like the sound the give off and I'd have to recommend them too.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
The hd555 or 595 are great. If you want closed and more boomy headphones, the dt-770 are graet. Rockign them with a x-fi hd usb since it has a built in headphone amp, I have the 250 ohm verison. Get the 80 ohm version if you do not have a headphone amp.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

The 555 is one of the best headphones in that price range

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I'm using the sennheiser 595HD and they're amazing.
jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts
The Audio Technica AD 700 is another good set of headphones.
wargolem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wargolem
Member since 2003 • 929 Posts

I've generally found all headsets to be complete and total crap for quality. If the mic is good, the headphones are terrible. If the headphones are good(which is never the case), the mic is horrible.

My advice? Get yourself a decent pair of audiophile quality headphones and a clip-on mic. Zalman makes a fairly popular clip-on mic. I forgot the actual product description. Its neither great or terrible quality, but it doesn't limit your headphone selection.

XaosII

This. I've had $100+ headsets from Altec Lansing, Razer, and Plantronics and they all died within a year -- not to mention lackluster positional audio for being "true 5.1 surround" (the razer). I just installed an ASUS Xonar DX and the Dolby Headphone feature is absolutely amazing, even with my little Nuforce UF-30s (small, but great soundstage and depth for what they are). I also have the Zalman mic and it's great; the mic is crystal clear and is extremely sensitive, but it doesn't seem to pick up much outside noise -- which is good.

Hoping to get a pair of HD 598s soon, but the price just went up again... :evil:

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

wargolem

This. I've had $100+ headsets from Altec Lansing, Razer, and Plantronics and they all died within a year -- not to mention lackluster positional audio for being "true 5.1 surround" (the razer). I just installed an ASUS Xonar DX and the Dolby Headphone feature is absolutely amazing, even with my little Nuforce UF-30s (small, but great soundstage and depth for what they are). I also have the Zalman mic and it's great; the mic is crystal clear and is extremely sensitive, but it doesn't seem to pick up much outside noise -- which is good.

Hoping to get a pair of HD 598s soon, but the price just went up again... :evil:

I tried the dolby headphone setting on my xonar dg and hated the sound of it.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Depending on your bass needs, the AKG K240 (semi-open back) might be worth a look.

amphitheater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 amphitheater
Member since 2011 • 128 Posts
How about those headsets by celebrities? LIke Beats by Dr. Dre. Are they any good?
jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts
How about those headsets by celebrities? LIke Beats by Dr. Dre. Are they any good?amphitheater
For the money you can probably get better. But I'm not an audiophile so someone else can give you better info.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#14 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I tried the dolby headphone setting on my xonar dg and hated the sound of it.kraken2109
It really depends on the headphones, some people seem to love it some hate it.

And btw make sure you were using the reference room of dolby headphone and not the other 2 especially not the "larger" room as that sounds terrible.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
How about those headsets by celebrities? LIke Beats by Dr. Dre. Are they any good?amphitheater
Celebrity-endorsed headphones are generally regarded about the same as "gaming" headphones/headsets: Avoid like the plague. Safer bets would be from brands known for producing audiophile-grade headphones. Audio-Technica, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Sennheiser, Ultrasone, and if you've got the money (or find a vintage set at a good price), Stax. (And those are just the more established brands...) Even then, you've got some subjectivity involved as certain brands or model lineups are known for given sound signatures, and not everyone likes the same sound signature.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

someone here recommended me the jvc harx700 and there amazing. What headphones are significantly better than this one? I cant seem to tell since there even better than my much more expensive shure 750 headphones that cost nearly $150.