HDTV Picture Quality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KingofScots7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KingofScots7
Member since 2009 • 166 Posts

Hello,

I wanted to make sure of something, Irecently bought a 32 inch HDTV 1080p. Yes i know you can't thefull 1080p picture out of a 32 so let's get that out of the way. Whenever I play Uncharted, Uncharted 2, ODST, Metal Gear Solid 4, there are jagged edges around somethings on the screen. I know this is more than like due to the lack of any or very little Anti-Aliasing but I want to make sure. I also know that all HDMI cable produce the same picture no mater the brand nor the price. Is there anyway to improve the picture quality? Also if you can tell me anything I have said wrong in my previous statements let me know. I am not going to complain so much about the picture if this is the best I can get on a 32 but I also want to be able to have the best picture if it isn't.

Thank you.

Ps: It is a Sony KDL-32s5000 or si500 I can't remember.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

If I remember correctly, there's some option on the PS3 called "smoothing" or something like that.

Does it only happen when you play games?

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shawty1984
Member since 2007 • 938 Posts

Hello,

I wanted to make sure of something, Irecently bought a 32 inch HDTV 1080p. Yes i know you can't thefull 1080p picture out of a 32 so let's get that out of the way. Whenever I play Uncharted, Uncharted 2, ODST, Metal Gear Solid 4, there are jagged edges around somethings on the screen. I know this is more than like due to the lack of any or very little Anti-Aliasing but I want to make sure. I also know that all HDMI cable produce the same picture no mater the brand nor the price. Is there anyway to improve the picture quality? Also if you can tell me anything I have said wrong in my previous statements let me know. I am not going to complain so much about the picture if this is the best I can get on a 32 but I also want to be able to have the best picture if it isn't.

Thank you.

Ps: It is a Sony KDL-32s5000 or si500 I can't remember.

KingofScots7

This wont help you much, but your statement about 1080p at 32" is wrong. A 22" 1080p TV will look exactly the same as a 100" 1080p TV as resolution is fixed. You just need to sit closer to the smaller screen to notice that its the same,

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It will contain the same amount of detail, but it won't look exactly the same. I wouldn't use the word "exact" either, as two 40 inch 1080Ps viewed from the same distance are bound to look a tad different. There's more variables than that silly chart, that pops up in this forum, provides.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shawty1984

It will contain the same amount of detail, but it won't look exactly the same. I wouldn't use the word "exact" either, as two 40 inch 1080Ps viewed from the same distance are bound to look a tad different. There's more variables than that silly chart, that pops up in this forum, provides.

Heirren

This always pops up. When talking about 1080p 1920 x 1080, I am and always will be only talking about resolution. a 1080p screen regradless of size (and remember just talking about resolution here) will always look the same. Its the same amount of pixels, that can never change.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts

Heirren
The "silly chart" is exactly correct as it is simply taking into account the limits of human vision to see a set resolution at a set distance from a set sized device. That being said resolution is only one aspect of video quality and there are many others. What Shawty says is correct if all other factors are equal. Of course in reality they rarely are, but he's trying to correct some of the misconceptions surrounding resolution.
NemeSyS-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NemeSyS-1
Member since 2009 • 464 Posts

ask anyone who knows what they are talking about and they will tell you that as far as games on PS3 or 360 are concerned or watching BluRay, any HDTV under 46" will show NO distinguishable difference between 720p and 1080p!! Anyone who pays the extra $300-1000 for 1080p on HDTV's under 46" is simply acting foolish with their $$$!!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

ask anyone who knows what they are talking about and they will tell you that as far as games on PS3 or 360 are concerned or watching BluRay, any HDTV under 46" will show NO distinguishable difference between 720p and 1080p!! Anyone who pays the extra $300-1000 for 1080p on HDTV's under 46" is simply acting foolish with their $$$!!

NemeSyS-1
Uhhh. No. The difference between 1080P and 720P on a 42" Plasma is so obvious that you'd have to have eye problems not to tell the difference.
shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shawty1984

NemeSyS-1

Thats one of the biggest myths in the technical land ever.

The difference can be seen on a 22" TV/Monitor if viewed from the correct distance. TV size alone means nothing to resolution, if they can fit 1920 x 1080 1080p on a screen, then if viewed from the correct distance that resolution will of course and very obviously look the same be it 22" or 100" and will look totally better than 720p on the same size screens, again if both are viewed from the correct distance.

If you know anyone that thinks they know what they are talking about, maybe you need to educate them with the above facts.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rastan

The difference can be seen on a 22" TV/Monitor if viewed from the correct distance. TV size alone means nothing to resolution, if they can fit 1920 x 1080 1080p on a screen, then if viewed from the correct distance that resolution will of course and very obviously look the same be it 22" or 100" and will look totally better than 720p on the same size screens, again if both are viewed from the correct distance.

If you know anyone that thinks they know what they are talking about, maybe you need to educate them with the above facts.

shawty1984

This is correct. I think the reason this rumor continues to be spread around is that many people sit between 5-8 feet from their TV's so 1080p begins to become evident at 46" or so (At 8' you would actually need a 60" set to see 1080p).

lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
To answer the TCs question, the jagged edges you are seeing are most likely due to the sharpness setting on your TV being too high. With default settings, the sharpness is almost always set much, much too high. Sharpness is artificial and is unnecessary with higher resolution content. Generally, most videophiles will tell you that sharpness is totally unnecessary, and is better left at 0. You may prefer a little sharpness, but I wouldn't advise going above around 20 when viewing HD content (such as games). If you're interested in achieving better picture quality, try heading over to www.avsforum.com. Search for your model TV. Most likely there will be a calibration/settings thread, which should have some user-calibrated settings you can try out. Results may vary, but it almost definitely will be an improvement over whatever your default settings are.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

[QUOTE="NemeSyS-1"]

shawty1984

Can you stop entering every topic saying the exact same thing? When people say that there's no distinguishable difference between 720 and 1080p they're referring to the average distance people sit from a TV. at 8' away, 22" and 100" TV's will look different. It's like me saying Why buy a $1000 TV, when my ipod video's little screen will perform the same at the "Correct viewing distance" You're practically trolling with these half truth arguments. Quit it, it's annoying.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shawty1984

[QUOTE="shawty1984"]

[QUOTE="NemeSyS-1"]

Nibroc420

Can you stop entering every topic saying the exact same thing? When people say that there's no distinguishable difference between 720 and 1080p they're referring to the average distance people sit from a TV. at 8' away, 22" and 100" TV's will look different. It's like me saying Why buy a $1000 TV, when my ipod video's little screen will perform the same at the "Correct viewing distance" You're practically trolling with these half truth arguments. Quit it, it's annoying.

Sigh, not again.

If they mean that, then they should say that. Also, how do you know they are refering to that anyway? I know a lot of people on these and different forums who actually think different. Everytime someone says that, I will correct them, like it or not Im here to stay. I never spread half truths, never. Of course things will look different if viewed from different distances, thats life and not just for TV's, but some people actually believe that viewing distance does not matter.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="shawty1984"]

shawty1984

Sigh, not again.

If they mean that, then they should say that. Also, how do you know they are refering to that anyway? I know a lot of people on these and different forums who actually think different. Everytime someone says that, I will correct them, like it or not Im here to stay. I never spread half truths, never. Of course things will look different if viewed from different distances, thats life and not just for TV's, but some people actually believe that viewing distance does not matter.

While i agree that it does matter, entering every thread (i've counted at least 3 on the first page) and trying to start arguments about how if you're more than X feet away, there's no reason to get 720 over 1080 because they forgot to mention the distance they're sitting from their tv.

Truth is, you keep saying "720 and 1080 look the same at the "Correct distance" " well... yeah, i bet 480 would look the same as 1080 at some "Correct distance" as well.

Should we all just stick to 480 then? :roll:

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shawty1984

[QUOTE="shawty1984"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Can you stop entering every topic saying the exact same thing? When people say that there's no distinguishable difference between 720 and 1080p they're referring to the average distance people sit from a TV. at 8' away, 22" and 100" TV's will look different. It's like me saying Why buy a $1000 TV, when my ipod video's little screen will perform the same at the "Correct viewing distance" You're practically trolling with these half truth arguments. Quit it, it's annoying.

Nibroc420

Sigh, not again.

While i agree that it does matter, entering every thread (i've counted at least 3 on the first page) and trying to start arguments about how if you're more than X feet away, there's no reason to get 720 over 1080 because they forgot to mention the distance they're sitting from their tv.

Truth is, you keep saying "720 and 1080 look the same at the "Correct distance" " well... yeah, i bet 480 would look the same as 1080 at some "Correct distance" as well.

Ill enter what threads I like and when I see fit. Im also not trying to cause no arguments, Im telling truth and 100% fact, if people want to argue that, its not my problem.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="shawty1984"]

Sigh, not again.

shawty1984

Ill enter what threads I like and when I see fit. Im also not trying to cause no arguments, Im telling truth and 100% fact, if people want to argue that, its not my problem.

but your "Truth" is based off if's. It's about as truthful as be saying Pizza and Chocolate taste exactly the same.....if you eat them when your mouth if full of toothpaste. Pretty big if.

Every time you try to make the argument you're making, you're assuming things that are not fact, and twisting things to make your statement true. While it is true that at certain distances there is no difference between 720 and 1080, for you to enter 3 to 4 threads and make the assumption that no-one sits close enough to notice the difference is wrong. And annoying. want an example?

"1080p screen regradless of size (and remember just talking about resolution here) will always look the same"

this statement (made by you) is not true.

1080p will NOT always look the same, it depends on viewing distance and the size of the screen. Yes, 1080p will always consist of 1920x1080 pixels. however, thats quite a stupid statement to make as the size of these pixels changes the visual quality of the screen.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shawty1984

[QUOTE="shawty1984"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] While i agree that it does matter, entering every thread (i've counted at least 3 on the first page) and trying to start arguments about how if you're more than X feet away, there's no reason to get 720 over 1080 because they forgot to mention the distance they're sitting from their tv.

Nibroc420

but your "Truth" is based off if's. It's about as truthful as be saying Pizza and Chocolate taste exactly the same.....if you eat them when your mouth if full of toothpaste. Pretty big if.

Every time you try to make the argument you're making, you're assuming things that are not fact, and twisting things to make your statement true. While it is true that at certain distances there is no difference between 720 and 1080, for you to enter 3 to 4 threads and make the assumption that no-one sits close enough to notice the difference is wrong. And annoying. want an example?

"1080p screen regradless of size (and remember just talking about resolution here) will always look the same"

1080p will NOT always look the same, it depends on viewing distance and the size of the screen. Yes, 1080p will always consist of 1920x1080 pixels. however, thats quite a stupid statement to make as the size of these pixels changes the visual quality of the screen.

Ive made it quite clrear in every thread Im talking about resolution and resolution alone. Taking away viewing distance in relation to screen size, then yes 1080p will look the same on any size screen. I say this because some people out there believe that 1080p only looks good or is only beneficial on larger screens or screens above 50". Your not reading into my debate, just jumping on my back. I have no problem with people that state 1080p on a 22" screen is no good for them due to viewing distance, but 9 out of 10 people do not say this, nor do they believe 1080p at 22" can be any good.

My side of the debate is that 1080p is 1080p and regardless of what screen size it is on, it will always look the same, I would of though that I wouldnt have to state viewing difference in every post counted due to

A) Ive already stated it numerous times in laods of threads

and

B) Its pretty obvious that things change due to the distance you view from.

I thought I had made my debate very clear, yet time and time again, it sames not so. But I dont know how to make it more clear.1080p is 1080 which is 1920 x 1080, this does nto change due to screen size. This goes to everyone who beleives there is a difference between 1080p due to smaller screens. That has and always will be my debate/argument, to me that is very clear.

Oh and by the way, that statement by me is true, please read it. Your one of people who jump before reading again failing to see the main point of what the debate is about.

The important part is in bold, please read it and take it in. Resolution does not change due to screen size getting bigger or smaller, if you read it Im talking about resolution and not viewing distances. Resolution is the same about of pixels which equals the same amount of detail, this resolution and detail is the same on a 22" as it is on a 100". Wether you have to few it from further or closer distance is neither here nor there as Im not talking about that. Its people that cant understand that the resolution of 1080p has the same detail at different sizes that Im aiming at.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"]

[QUOTE="shawty1984"]

shawty1984

Ive made it quite clrear in every thread Im talking about resolution and resolution alone. Taking away viewing distance in relation to screen size, then yes 1080p will look the same on any size screen. I say this because some people out there believe that 1080p only looks good or is only beneficial on larger screens or screens above 50". Your not reading into my debate, just jumping on my back. I have no problem with people that state 1080p on a 22" screen is no good for them due to viewing distance, but 9 out of 10 people do not say this, nor do they believe 1080p at 22" can be any good.

My side of the debate is that 1080p is 1080p and regardless of what screen size it is on, it will always look the same, I would of though that I wouldnt have to state viewing difference in every post counted due to

and

I thought I had made my debate very clear, yet time and time again, it sames not so. But I dont know how to make it more clear.1080p is 1080 which is 1920 x 1080, this does nto change due to screen size. This goes to everyone who beleives there is a difference between 1080p due to smaller screens. That has and always will be my debate/argument, to me that is very clear.

Then your statement/argument/debate, whatever you want to call it is unnecessary 1080p is, and always will be 1920x1080, that is it's size. It's like running around saying 1cm^3 is always 1cmx1cmx1cm, it's redundant.

Without taking into account viewing distance, you could say that an infinitely large screen would look the same as a 20x20 pixel screen at the "Correct distance" Viewing distance, Is, and ALWAYS must be taken into account when referring to sizes of screens. Because without knowing that, you can't say anything about size.

For those who dont understand that 1920x1080 is 1080p, and everything labeled 1080p has that many pixels, is lost. Forget them, and quit stating the obvious.

shawty1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shawty1984

[QUOTE="shawty1984"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] but your "Truth" is based off if's. It's about as truthful as be saying Pizza and Chocolate taste exactly the same.....if you eat them when your mouth if full of toothpaste. Pretty big if.

Nibroc420

and

Then your statement/argument/debate, whatever you want to call it is unnecessary 1080p is, and always will be 1920x1080, that is it's size. It's like running around saying 1cm^3 is always 1cmx1cmx1cm, it's redundant.

Without taking into account viewing distance, you could say that an infinitely large screen would look the same as a 20x20 pixel screen at the "Correct distance" Viewing distance, Is, and ALWAYS must be taken into account when referring to sizes of screens. Because without knowing that, you can't say anything about size.

For those who dont understand that 1920x1080 is 1080p, and everything labeled 1080p has that many pixels, is lost. Forget them, and quit stating the obvious.

Its not unecessary at all though it is. There is still loads of people that believe it. Ive always stated distance matters, maybe not in every single post, but that is to excessive. There is still loads of beleieve it and not just on this site. They actually believe 1080p is better because its a bigger screen and the sooner this myth is wiped out the better. So I will post when I want where I want unless the mods see fit otherwise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

I was just playing MW2 on a 40(or 42?) inch 720p plasma. I was sitting at about 4 feet away. When I got home, I continued the same exact game on a 50 inch 1080p plasma. I'm sitting more than 8 feet from the tv. I can easily distinguish a difference. I'm not b*lls**tting either.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I was just playing MW2 on a 40(or 42?) inch 720p plasma. I was sitting at about 4 feet away. When I got home, I continued the same exact game on a 50 inch 1080p plasma. I'm sitting more than 8 feet from the tv. I can easily distinguish a difference. I'm not b*lls**tting either.

Heirren

MW2 has never been 1080p.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Epak_

I stated that earlier in one of these "picture" threads--and actually, most games aren't even 720p. However, title/menu screens often times are. 1080p provides a better experience. People can argue that same point, but the variables and the market speak otherwise. Fact of the matter is, is that more money is put into the 1080p market. If someone is able to drop 10k on a tv, this person is not going to put it into one with a lower specification, and this person will want explanations as to why his new $10k tv is superior. All numbers and science aside, the truth is the tv manufacturers are aware that these are the people that push the tv market forward and that, whether good business practice or not, it is not in the best interest of these companies to produce 720 sets to the same standard as 1080p--for simple facts that there are even better specs bound to come to the market, and that if everyone was happy with 720p, that would be the standard.

btw, it's early and I'm in the middle of my coffee.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

However, title/menu screens often times are.

Not really. :P

720P is the standard. But it's great when 1080P is available.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rastan

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Epak_

This is just another reason that proves resolution is not everything. You probably could definitely tell the difference, not because of the resolution, but because it is a different TV, with different settings, and possibly better overall picture quality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

This is just another reason that proves resolution is not everything. You probably could definitely tell the difference, not because of the resolution, but because it is a different TV, with different settings, and possibly better overall picture quality.rastan

Hence my post before this one.