Having troubles finding what generation my prcessor is

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GhostDog8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 GhostDog8
Member since 2005 • 5943 Posts

I can find all the specs on the processor but nothing is telling me which generation it is....the reason I need to know is so I can purchase the right motherboard as I am getting ready to downsize my rig into a mini itx Case. I just need some help identifying this chip I have. Also does anyone know if this chip can be used for a Hackintosh? Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

*edit* my apologies, it wasn't clear to me that that CPU at the end of the post was the one in question. I thought that was an alternative you were considering buying along with a new mobo

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@GhostDog8 said:

I can find all the specs on the processor but nothing is telling me which generation it is....the reason I need to know is so I can purchase the right motherboard as I am getting ready to downsize my rig into a mini itx Case. I just need some help identifying this chip I have. Also does anyone know if this chip can be used for a Hackintosh? Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

2nd Gen i5 CPUs, you'll want to get a Z77 MOBO - good luck finding a mini ITX Z77

GhostDog8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 GhostDog8
Member since 2005 • 5943 Posts

ok thank you for the help

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58484 Posts

Does generation matter when it comes to socket type? That is the real determining factor, yes? Or am I missing something...

Anyway, where did you buy your current gear from? If from an online retailer you can look up your order history.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Does generation matter when it comes to socket type? That is the real determining factor, yes? Or am I missing something...

Anyway, where did you buy your current gear from? If from an online retailer you can look up your order history.

Intel uses the same sockets usually for two generations, then they change them. Your cpu uses the LGA1155 socket type... so make sure the motherboard has that. I think the third gen intels also used LGA1155 sockets.

4th and 5th gen used their own, and newest 6th gen Skylake's use different sockets then the older gens also. I'd imagine 7th gen intels will use the same socket types as the 6th gen Skylakes.