Have you guys been playing Path of Exile?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#51 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

I have it Too im a bit far with a level like 11 & and a level 37 passive Tree is Very huge and Complex you gotta either follow guide on net or make the ultimate gamble since it cost allot to get 40-60 orb of regret to respec all

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@airshocker said:

I avoid most games that are F2P.

Not a single one of the negative stigmas typically associated with F2P games are present in PoE. Not one.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@airshocker said:

Not a single one of the negative stigmas typically associated with F2P games are present in PoE. Not one.

Agreed. I avoid F2P games like the plague but Path of Exile didn't seem like a typical F2P game where it didn't receive the normal treatment a highly funded game would get. I played it since it was in beta. This game is a labor of love.. the developers are obviously passionate about what they're doing. It's definitely worth checking out.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Might sound stupid but I wish this game would come to consoles. I ind ARPG's so much more comfortable when sitting on a couch mashing the "X" button as opposed to my PC chair and mass-clicking. In fact, mashing buttons on a controller is infinitely more satisfying to me than spamming LMB. My index finger gets tired quick!

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Might sound stupid but I wish this game would come to consoles. I ind ARPG's so much more comfortable when sitting on a couch mashing the "X" button as opposed to my PC chair and mass-clicking. In fact, mashing buttons on a controller is infinitely more satisfying to me than spamming LMB. My index finger gets tired quick!

Well,I wouldn´t count on PoE ever being released on any console,Torchlight 2 would have a better chance,but even then it seems extremely unlikely,let alone PoE.

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

It's kinda boring. I've been playing it at work, but if it doesn't get any harder (I hate easy games) I might lose interest. I'm only a few hours in though.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#57 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Does PoE not support game pads?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 KHAndAnime

@with_teeth26 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm being presumptuous but I've never played an ARPG on PC that had proper controller support.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 with_teeth26

@KHAndAnime said:

@with_teeth26 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm being presumptuous but I've never played an ARPG on PC that had proper controller support.

I'll try and test it later today when I have some time. Your description of playing an ARPG with a controller has me curious.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@airshocker said:

So what's the point of the microtransactions?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Elann2008

@airshocker said:

@the_bi99man said:

@airshocker said:

All aesthetics.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Elann2008

@FaustArp said:

It's kinda boring. I've been playing it at work, but if it doesn't get any harder (I hate easy games) I might lose interest. I'm only a few hours in though.

Play it on cruel at least. Then the game will have you investing time in building up a good energy shield, sufficient HP, and chaos inoculation. On normal, it's just too easy as with most ARPG games.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 the_bi99man

@airshocker said:

@the_bi99man said:

@airshocker said:

100% cosmetic stuff. Alternate spell effects, little pets that follow you around (but literally do nothing else), little cosmetic effects you can attach to items, etc. Stuff like that. There's nothing available in the microtransaction store that actually effects gameplay in any way, and that's exactly how the developers intend to keep it.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By the_bi99man

@FaustArp said:

Give it some time. Like most iso-ARPGs, the first couple acts, and really most of the game, on Normal difficulty, is pretty easy, and mostly made to introduce you to the systems of the game. The third act gets much harder, and then there's the Cruel and Merciless difficulty playthroughs (like Nightmare and Hell in Diablo), and that's where it really steps up the difficulty. Not just in the combat itself, but in the depth of the item crafting systems. Starts out easy, but I've got one character who's about halfway through Merciless difficulty, and at that point it's easily the hardest iso-ARPG I've ever played.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@airshocker said:

@the_bi99man said:

@airshocker said:

100% cosmetic stuff. Alternate spell effects, little pets that follow you around (but literally do nothing else), little cosmetic effects you can attach to items, etc. Stuff like that. There's nothing available in the microtransaction store that actually effects gameplay in any way, and that's exactly how the developers intend to keep it.

Ah. That sounds okay, then.

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

I've put some more time in this, and now I'm starting to get into it.

shirlierox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67 shirlierox
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Been playing this a bit and it's pretty good fun for a f2p. The only trouble I have is the passive skill tree. Holy moly it's HUGEEEEEEE. I started a witch character pumped a load of things into stats then looked at builds and confused myself. Started doing a let's play but think I'll wait until I actually know what I'm waffling on about as it must be boring to watch. I have just started a new ranger build which I'm having fun playing as.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 the_bi99man

@FaustArp: Nice. How far are you?

@airshocker: Yeah, it's a really great F2P model. Seems to be working for them.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#69 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

there also more stash place's for micro-transaction but imo it worth it if you are high level and have bunch of character because the game is free and it cost just a few to get more stash

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I just got to Act 3 on my Shadow... Sort of Half-rushing/Half-taking my time... I mostly want to play the Scion, but Shadow is fun too.

The new patch messed the Carrion Queens though... they 1 shot. Not sure if hotfix was done yet, but they did mention it last night.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#71  Edited By Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I'm a rare specimen that's never really gotten into Diablo, but has enjoyed Diablo clones such as Titan Quest and Torchlight. How does Path of Exile compare to those games?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By with_teeth26

I've put a few hours into the release version and while I am enjoying it, there are two things that are preventing me from really getting into it.

1. Not enough waypoints. I can only afford to spend 20-30 minutes at a time playing this game right now and sometimes that is not enough time to get to another waypoint, meaning I either end up playing for longer than I want to or I end up having to go through the same area multiple times. I also find that sometimes when going through waypoints it is possible to get turned around due to changing level layouts so I will not be sure which way to go to progress to the next area.

2. Lag/Desync during combat - you swing your sword at an enemy and they don't react for a second or two. Not a constant issue but it ruins the flow of combat when it happens. This might be related to my crappy internet connection.

Apart from that I'm really enjoying the visual style and feel of the combat.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Elann2008

If you have an Nvidia GPU and if you haven't already, download Nvidia Inspector. Go in, create a new profile and "add" Path of Exile as application. Set Ambient Occlusion to "enabled" and use Diablo 3 profile. It'll make the game look a lot better.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By the_bi99man

@Brendissimo35
said:

I'm a rare specimen that's never really gotten into Diablo, but has enjoyed Diablo clones such as Titan Quest and Torchlight. How does Path of Exile compare to those games?

It's arguably the best "Diablo-Clone" game ever made. Even better than Diablo 2 in a lot of ways. It sure as hell blows Torchlight out of the water. I remember liking Titan Quest back in the day, but it didn't hold my attention like Diablo 2 did. Path of Exile is the first one I've played since D2 that I think is actually going to stick with me, and make me stop re-playing D2 every year. Give it a shot. Nothing to lose, and if you have any interest in the genre, it might just blow your mind.

Also, if you enjoyed Titan Quest, you may want to check out Grim Dawn, as well. It's not free like PoE, but it's another ARPG from the lead designer of Titan Quest. It's available on Steam Early Access now. I haven't yet, but I'm seriously thinking about jumping in. I remember being pretty impressed by some alpha footage I saw a long while back.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@the_bi99man said:
@Brendissimo35 said:

It's arguably the best "Diablo-Clone" game ever made. Even better than Diablo 2 in a lot of ways. It sure as hell blows Torchlight out of the water. I remember liking Titan Quest back in the day, but it didn't hold my attention like Diablo 2 did. Path of Exile is the first one I've played since D2 that I think is actually going to stick with me, and make me stop re-playing D2 every year. Give it a shot. Nothing to lose, and if you have any interest in the genre, it might just blow your mind.

Also, if you enjoyed Titan Quest, you may want to check out Grim Dawn, as well. It's not free like PoE, but it's another ARPG from the lead designer of Titan Quest. It's available on Steam Early Access now. I haven't yet, but I'm seriously thinking about jumping in. I remember being pretty impressed by some alpha footage I saw a long while back.

Uhhhhhh.... hard one to call. I still think the best Diablo Clone goes to either Titan Quest or Van Helsing.

Path of Exile was pretty good when I played it about 6 months ago. The combat was a bit off and the UI and writing needed work (I believe it's a lot better now).

I would play it if I had the time.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Elann2008

@the_bi99man said:
@Brendissimo35 said:

I agree. I know there's a cult-following for Titan Quest but I thought it was bland and boring although I like the time period. I felt it was misused in TQ. Torchlight was boring imo, but Torchlight 2 was a huge improvement over the first. I'd argue it's a lot better than Diablo 3. I certainly had more fun playing Torchlight 2 than Diablo 3. Diablo 1 and 2 are still better than them though. But when it comes to Path Exile. I'd say, it's better than Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 but I can't say it's better than D1 and D2. And it's not due to nostalgia. With that said, PoE is amazing for a free-to-play game. My major gripe with it is aesthetics. Dungeon crawlers are about loot, but the loot doesn't make you look like you've made any progression. PoE developers lean completely into the marketplace so you can look "cool." When the loot in the game should make your character look badass as you level up. Just makes you not want to earn loot and gear up your character because he'll look like a level 10 at level 40. I don't want it to be a WoW-lite game.. but it wouldn't hurt to get some cool-looking gear once in a while. Otherwise it's pointless for a loot-based gear.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

so what's the draw of Path of Exile?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Elann2008

@lostrib said:

For me, it's the passive skill system. I like how you could synergize keystones and build up your character with a little more variety.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By the_bi99man

@lostrib said:

It's an Iso-ARPG with unique systems for leveling, skills, items and crafting, which completely reinvent the genre.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 KHAndAnime

@the_bi99man said:
@Brendissimo35 said:

Titan Quest isn't really comparable to this. It didn't even have much in the way of a multiplayer component, which is essential in a game like this. You could use hacked characters interchangeably between SP and MP and such. It was the equivalent to Open B.Net.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 trastamad03

@Elann2008 said:

If you have an Nvidia GPU and if you haven't already, download Nvidia Inspector. Go in, create a new profile and "add" Path of Exile as application. Set Ambient Occlusion to "enabled" and use Diablo 3 profile. It'll make the game look a lot better.

Hmmm... It doesn't give me the Diablo3 Profile. I just have Dragon Age2 and Oblivion.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Elann2008

@Elann2008 said:

@lostrib said:

For me, it's the passive skill system. I like how you could synergize keystones and build up your character with a little more variety.

I wasn't finished. Path of Exile is very atmospheric. Crisp, excellent graphics especially when you enable Ambient Occlusion. Gorgeous. It's dark and gritty unlike TL2 and Diablo 3, more akin to Diablo 1. It's not afraid to express those dark tones and gruesome scenes. I like how the devs handled the economy system. It doesn't use currency like you'd expect in other games. I would advise that you play with friends. The party system is messy and you'll often group up with random people that just rush through levels. You won't get to enjoy it. You're better off solo'ing in that case. The Waypoint system is also fvked up. And don't go through your own town portals or else it disappears. That's why I recommend playing this with at least one friend that you know will be able to play for at least 1 hour to have a good time.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Elann2008

Don't be a stranger. Add me on Steamworks. User ID: Elann 2195.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#84 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

bah, i tried it and didn't get past the first town due to connectivity problems. my internet connection has been stable, i (pointlessly) opened up the tens of thousands of ports GGG recommends, and i've tried different regions. the damn thing just doesn't want to work.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#85  Edited By Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@the_bi99man said:
@Brendissimo35 said:

Titan Quest isn't really comparable to this. It didn't even have much in the way of a multiplayer component, which is essential in a game like this. You could use hacked characters interchangeably between SP and MP and such. It was the equivalent to Open B.Net.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will check it out. And I've been following Grim Dawn, but didn't realize it was on Steam already. I'll have to look into it.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Elann2008

@trastamad03 said:

@Elann2008 said:

Hmmm... It doesn't give me the Diablo3 Profile. I just have Dragon Age2 and Oblivion.

I would have responded sooner but Gamespot only allows two posts and then you have to wait for someone to post after you. And the forums are dead nowadays. Diablo III profile is right under Skyrim's.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By trastamad03

@Elann2008: Found it, thanks :)

It's quite subtle though. :o

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 the_bi99man

@Elann2008 said:

Added you. Big Pink is the current name I go by.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@SKaREO said:

I just couldn't get into it like I did with Diablo II. It's mediocre IMHO.

everything is mediocre "IYHO"

i have never seen you actually praise a game....ever.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Elann2008

@the_bi99man said:

@Elann2008 said:

Added you. Big Pink is the current name I go by.

Great! I accepted friend request. See ya

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

I tend to get bored of these sorts of games quickly, but Path of Exile...I don't know, I think I'd want to keep playing it just to master that beast of a skill tree (...skill thicket?).

'course, I won't ever have time to play it, but my few hours with a dual-weilding Duellist was a bit fun.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I'll just take the space to complain. Desync completely fucking ruins the game. ****.

GTB79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#93 GTB79
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

It was so fun, if you love diablo you will of course love this. I personally got bored after a while becase it was running back and forth and not a very different cariety in the areas

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By the_bi99man

@Masculus said:

I'll just take the space to complain. Desync completely fucking ruins the game. ****.

The desync is definitely a problem. I usually don't get it very bad, and it corrects itself in just a few seconds, but every now and again its terrible. You can put "/oos" in the chat to forcibly resync, which can save you from a disconnect if you get a bad desync that doesn't fix itself fast enough. I've heard of people setting up the chat command as a macro, and linking it to a thumb mouse button. Seems like a good idea, but I really hope they manage to fix it server-side before too long.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

A bit. I'm almost done with chapter 2 and it has been pretty fun so far.

chunkowookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 chunkowookie
Member since 2012 • 270 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

@Masculus said:

The desync is definitely a problem. I usually don't get it very bad, and it corrects itself in just a few seconds, but every now and again its terrible. You can put "/oos" in the chat to forcibly resync, which can save you from a disconnect if you get a bad desync that doesn't fix itself fast enough. I've heard of people setting up the chat command as a macro, and linking it to a thumb mouse button. Seems like a good idea, but I really hope they manage to fix it server-side before too long.

That's good to know. Thanks for that.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#97 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

I finished the game in the first difficulty setting yesterday. It has been very fun and, IMO, much more better than Diablo 3.

I will continue playing and try different classes in the upcoming weeks.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By the_bi99man

@ForsakenWicked said:

I finished the game in the first difficulty setting yesterday. It has been very fun and, IMO, much more better than Diablo 3.

I will continue playing and try different classes in the upcoming weeks.

Now that you've beat the game, you must have unlocked the Scion Class. Try her. Really fun class, which takes the whole idea of "any class can do anything" even further, by starting you out in the dead center of the passive tree. My Scion is a tank mage with a mace, but another Scion could just as easily become a dex-heavy rogue, or a summoner, or whatever.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

I tried it but became frustrated because I wanted to use the ranger, but it was useless using the bows because all the enemies run right up to you and melee you to death. Running away and firing only allows 2-3 hits before you're again swamped.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#100 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Played it for abit after installing it last night. The character select screen makes an incredible first impression for a game like this. Those monologues from the characters are wonderfully written.