Has Episodic gaming miss fired because of the delays in episode two?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

You can see plenty of evidence of episodic content being a big sucsess in the indi games arena coupled with digital delivery the indi game creaters have exploded as never before.

but all we seam to have (beginning with sin episodes) is a false start from the comercial side of things. Half life episode two is now stupidly overdue, and i cant help feeling that (while id rather have a good game than a rushed one), if you cant deliver me a steady streem of gameing pleasure on time and regularly then you should get out of the episodic system. because your missing a huge load of what episodes are supposed to do. Namely not leaving the gamer hanging.

nothing against valve, they are amazing, and the idia is sound, but they aint delivering at the mo, and it all seams like a bit of a letdown.

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Very. I lost interest in EP2 a long time ago. They can keep it for all I care.
Hero6_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Hero6_basic
Member since 2002 • 1536 Posts

Very. I lost interest in EP2 a long time ago. They can keep it for all I care.BounceDK

Iam with ya brother, I dont think there is anything new they will dish out with that franchise until the third installment.

ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
epp gaming is a horriod idea and is just a way for game devs to be paid more than once while making crappy 6 hour or less game. i havent played hl epp 1 but i have played sin emergance and it was rubbish. if you want to release more make a sequal.
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

Wow, do you know why it is delayed?

Here is one of my posts from another thread:

None of you seem to give a **** as to WHY it was delayed or WHY it is taking them so long to get EP2 out the door. The main reason, of course, is their current target of consoles. But the more important reason, at least to me and most other hardware intelligent people, is that they are completely reworking the Source Engine to include many new effects due to their implementation of multithreading, which will give a huge performance increase to processors with 3 or more cores.

This is the next large step in creating a great, long lasting game engine, so how about all of you stop *****ing about a small delay and look forward to the other games coming out in 2007.
LordEC911
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25364479&page=1

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I'd rather wait for a bit longer and have a better and more complete game than have it out ASAP where it is plagued with problems.
guylapierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 guylapierre
Member since 2005 • 697 Posts
I like the concept of episodic games and HL seems to be the poster child for it based on the story line. However, Valve is not the developer for it. They are notoriously late and behind schedule. I think that is a sad contradiction that has to be rectified for it to be successful.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Episodic realeasing was a nice idea, at least in theory, but just like so many other nice ideas it just ain't working.
wowbagger2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wowbagger2004
Member since 2007 • 80 Posts

like slowly pulling a Guiness, good things come to those who wait.

I would rather wait for EP2 than have a bad version now.

This does go against episodic content though, which i'm not hugely behind. That suggests deadlines to me (which aren't being met by valve) and i'd rather have something done when it's done.

Episodic content is nice, but I'm happy to wait years for something as awesome as HL2 was. 

Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts

Very. I lost interest in EP2 a long time ago. They can keep it for all I care.BounceDK

QFT

Episodic content only works well if the episodes are shipped regularly (about 1/quarter) and ON TIME.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

The whole point of episodic content is for it to be quick and cheep, helped by online purchases (source) Taking such a long time defeats the purpose of it. Why not just focus on standard expansions, if you put time and effort into them, like Blizzard, they end up selling extremely well and extending the shelf life of your game.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
Well, Sam and Max kinda proved that wrong.  The first 4 episodes felt very rushed and they recycled the same dialogue and locations.  Not enough new or interesting content in each episode to keep me buying.
wowbagger2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wowbagger2004
Member since 2007 • 80 Posts

Well, Sam and Max kinda proved that wrong. The first 4 episodes felt very rushed and they recycled the same dialogue and locations. Not enough new or interesting content in each episode to keep me buying.bogaty

I love LucasArts point-and-click games, and Sam and Max is my second favourite. I love that game... even though I know the solutions to everything I get a kick out of doing the whole thing in a single sitting (I am so sad i know) and I was so stoked about the new ones...

One word.

FAIL.

Biggest gaming disappointment ever. The first one sucked. The second one sucked more. I gave up. 

DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts
im still very excited for Episode 2, but Valve has no idea how to do episodic games right. This isnt an episode its an expansion. o well, its still gonna be cool when it comes.
Yoruichii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Yoruichii
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
Its working for Sam and Max imo