Has EA uninstalled programs from my drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

So I'm playing BF4 and I realize my mouse isn't working like it should since I updated the new software from their site. So I exit BF4 then I uninstall the program from corsair, and realize the eso beta is sitting their half downloaded as well, so i uninstall it. I then go back to battlelog after getting a prompt asking for authorization for EA corporation I click yes then click on a server and the game asks me patch or download the game.

I've looked in origins game folder but BF4 is no longer there. It's gone off my computer 100% Also my music player Foobar2000 is now off my computer without a trace. I'm not understanding this one bit. How is this possible? I now have two programs completely erased from my computer without a trace. I thought It might have been me who had got rid of them by mistake while uninstalling corsairs program and eso but I don't think I don't remember what I did and didn't delete 15 minutes ago. The only explanation is it has something to do with what ever EA wanted confirmation to change on my drive before playing.

I'm confused and a little pissed off at this. Does anyone else have an explanation or reason for something like this happening? Has EA literally deleted or uninstalled these off my computer without my permission? If that's the case I'm about to uninstall origin as that is down right not acceptable.

#2 Posted by FelipeInside (26365 posts) -

@ribstaylor1 said:

So I'm playing BF4 and I realize my mouse isn't working like it should since I updated the new software from their site. So I exit BF4 then I uninstall the program from corsair, and realize the eso beta is sitting their half downloaded as well, so i uninstall it. I then go back to battlelog after getting a prompt asking for authorization for EA corporation I click yes then click on a server and the game asks me patch or download the game.

I've looked in origins game folder but BF4 is no longer there. It's gone off my computer 100% Also my music player Foobar2000 is now off my computer without a trace. I'm not understanding this one bit. How is this possible? I now have two programs completely erased from my computer without a trace. I thought It might have been me who had got rid of them by mistake while uninstalling corsairs program and eso but I don't think I don't remember what I did and didn't delete 15 minutes ago. The only explanation is it has something to do with what ever EA wanted confirmation to change on my drive before playing.

I'm confused and a little pissed off at this. Does anyone else have an explanation or reason for something like this happening? Has EA literally deleted or uninstalled these off my computer without my permission? If that's the case I'm about to uninstall origin as that is down right not acceptable.

I'm pretty sure it's not EA and you just pressed YES on confirmation dialogues without reading them first

#3 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

I hit a single confirmation box with EA. One with the ESO beta uninstall and one with Corsairs software. At no time was I in or around either of foobar's or BF4's program files. I've gone through this enough in my head it wasn't me as much as I would like to convince myself it was and they haven't deleted shit off my drive it wasn't. I've deleted origin off my computer, as it's the only explanation why 30gb's of files are now gone and that's just what I currently know about.

Trust me Im as astonished this would happen. Like Im' trying to come up with reasons as to what else would have deleted these two programs they worked not even two minutes prior to me restarting battlefield and clicking okay to the origin EA bubble asking to allow origin to make changes to my drive. I keep coming back to it being that because nothing else makes sense.

#4 Posted by FelipeInside (26365 posts) -

@ribstaylor1 said:

I hit a single confirmation box with EA. One with the ESO beta uninstall and one with Corsairs software. At no time was I in or around either of foobar's or BF4's program files. I've gone through this enough in my head it wasn't me as much as I would like to convince myself it was and they haven't deleted shit off my drive it wasn't. I've deleted origin off my computer, as it's the only explanation why 30gb's of files are now gone and that's just what I currently know about.

Trust me Im as astonished this would happen. Like Im' trying to come up with reasons as to what else would have deleted these two programs they worked not even two minutes prior to me restarting battlefield and clicking okay to the origin EA bubble asking to allow origin to make changes to my drive. I keep coming back to it being that because nothing else makes sense.

Are you sure they aren't just somewhere else?

#5 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

I've literally gone through all my drives. Searched and both programs are essentially 100% off my drive. There isn't a single trace of them. Which is what I find astounding. Like I proud myself on being good with computers, not a genius but better then most people and I am at a loss to as to why this has happened. It can't be some random glitch with my comp, because I've never heard of an event like this just happening out of no where.

#6 Posted by FelipeInside (26365 posts) -

@ribstaylor1 said:

I've literally gone through all my drives. Searched and both programs are essentially 100% off my drive. There isn't a single trace of them. Which is what I find astounding. Like I proud myself on being good with computers, not a genius but better then most people and I am at a loss to as to why this has happened. It can't be some random glitch with my comp, because I've never heard of an event like this just happening out of no where.

Definately some kind of bug or you are confused as to what happened. I've never seen or heard of Origin (or any client for that matter) uninstalling programs apart from their own software.

#7 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

I highly doubt this is just some glitch with my computer. Files the size of 35gb don't just disappear. Not to sound rude but I'm not an idiot I know exactly what I did and didn't do and nothing I did should have caused both programs to just disappear like they weren't on my computer at all.

Like I'm good with computers but I'm no genius anybody here who actually works with computers for a living have an explanation or a word to add into this?

#8 Posted by FelipeInside (26365 posts) -

@ribstaylor1 said:

I highly doubt this is just some glitch with my computer. Files the size of 35gb don't just disappear. Not to sound rude but I'm not an idiot I know exactly what I did and didn't do and nothing I did should have caused both programs to just disappear like they weren't on my computer at all.

Like I'm good with computers but I'm no genius anybody here who actually works with computers for a living have an explanation or a word to add into this?

I'm a Network Administrator, so I work with computers quite a bit actually.

I never said you were an idiot, just that it's either a bug or something weird happened. Clients like that don't just delete files, unless the uninstall of those other programs somehow got related to the BF4 directory.

#9 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

I know I'm just frustrated with this that's all. Hell I want to think it was me that screwed this up but I'm at a loss to how I even would have if I did. If it wasn't origin then Corsairs m95 mouse driver program+ would be the only other program that would have any slight connection to BF4 but then that wouldn't explain why Foobar2000 is gone. Sigh.... Hey I guess something was bound to screw up on the new rig eventually. This is literally the first time I've had an issue on a computer this baffling.

Edit: In hind site. Both Foobar2000 and bf4 had working shortcuts before agreeing to the EA dialogue box. So the root cause must be Origin, as I no longer have working short cuts for either.

#10 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

@ribstaylor1 said:

I highly doubt it had anything to do with Origin. But if it did, it certainly wasn't done "without my permission", since you said yes to whatever it was asking that you didn't read.

#11 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

@the_bi99man: True I agreed. But it was that standard window "Do you want this program to be able to make changes to your drive"kind of thing you get before games. It's a thing I click all the time when playing games that require saves. And generally most times I start BF4. It's only after clicking yes to that, did this issue come up. Foobar2000 can possibly be something else but it's odd it disappears at the exact same time BF4 does. Everything worked before origin asked for permissions did this happen so it's the only logical conclusion something with origin or the process it had after I allowed it to make changes.

#12 Posted by FelipeInside (26365 posts) -

@ribstaylor1 said:

@the_bi99man: True I agreed. But it was that standard window "Do you want this program to be able to make changes to your drive"kind of thing you get before games. It's a thing I click all the time when playing games that require saves. And generally most times I start BF4.

Is there a way to reproduce the situation?

You would probably have to install the games again.

#13 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

@FelipeInside: Ya I would. Not sure If I am going download it again though. I've got a thing up on their website asking about it. I'll see, computers are odd it really could be anything they don't all ways act as intended. It's just weird, I agree to what is essentially a standard prompt from my computer to make a program work and two programs 1 of which has nothing to do with the other two just disappear.

#14 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

@FelipeInside: Ya I would. Not sure If I am going download it again though. I've got a thing up on their website asking about it. I'll see, computers are odd it really could be anything they don't all ways act as intended. It's just weird, I agree to what is essentially a standard prompt from my computer to make a program work and two programs 1 of which has nothing to do with the others just disappear.

#15 Edited by krazyorange (2643 posts) -

Do you keep a close eye on how much free space you have on your HD(s)? Also check through the control panel to see if it still says they're installed. Or get a registry cleaner/searcher and go that direction.

And not to be overly buzzword-y, but I've had virii before which have done similar things. If it keeps happening you should just reinstall Windows.

#16 Posted by BattleSpectre (7238 posts) -

Lol poor EA, they get blamed for everything these days.

#17 Edited by PredatorRules (8873 posts) -

I had something similar with Skype, just vanished with no trace.

Not sure if it'S Origin fault or just ESO

#18 Edited by groowagon (3030 posts) -

my meatball-meal just exploded in the microwave.

thanks, EA.

#19 Posted by cyloninside (815 posts) -

@ribstaylor1 said:

sounds like you have made up you mind then, so why are you asking us?

this is the most annoying aspect of IT support..... user calls in "WHY DID THIS HAPPEN".... you say "well, this is probably why".... user says "NO THAT CANT POSSIBLY BE IT".

ok well... if you know more than us, then why are you asking us?

#20 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

@krazyorange: Ya I keep a good track of whats on my drives. The informationon is gone but your right my computer still recognizes both programs as installed under my programs list, but all the information too do with both programs is essentially erased even searching for the programs leads to nothing.

@cyloninside: No I haven't made up my mind. It could be anything. But as of now the most likely out of the three seems to be origin. I highly doubt it's an on purpose thing but the only program that has the ability to scan my drive and make changes besides dealing with it's local files is Origin, and the short cuts worked before restarting battlelog so there's been a glitch with origin and my shit is now gone. No other way to look at it. The last program I allowed to make changes should be the program responsible if things worked right before hand.