Hardware Survey 2014: What's inside your main desktop PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

The TR Hardware Survey 2014: What's inside your main desktop PC?

I just found it funny and in the same time a nice place for statistical info that is not coming from steam and also more detailed than steam.

Anyone can go and vote without needed to login :)

ps: I was surprised to see that Phenom II is still used more than FX series lol...

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Thanks for posting that, it's very interesting. The Asus boards seem to be really popular.. I also expected more people with overclocked CPUs.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Coseniath

@harry_james_pot: You welcome. I thought it would be great source of info for a lot of people :)

Nah I was expecting the results of o/c. Its logical since today's CPUs (I am talking about CPUs especially) don't bottleneck games. Hell 3 years old Sandybridge doesn't even bottleneck games...

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Coseniath said:

@harry_james_pot: You welcome. I thought it would be great source of info for a lot of people :)

Nah I was expecting the results of o/c. Its logical since today's CPUs (I am talking about CPUs especially) don't bottleneck games. Hell 3 years old Sandybridge doesn't even bottleneck games...

I overclock my CPU for emulation.

Even my i7 4770k needs at least 4.0ghz to not drop frames in games like The Last Story which are really demanding on the CPU at certain parts.

Zone of the Enders the Second Runner is probably the most demanding emulated game to run when my old GTX 570 is being maxed out with low fps (at certain parts) when I try to play at 1440p.

The GTX 980 should run it fine though.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Coseniath
@RyviusARC said:

@Coseniath said:

I overclock my CPU for emulation.

Even my i7 4770k needs at least 4.0ghz to not drop frames in games like The Last Story which are really demanding on the CPU at certain parts.

Zone of the Enders the Second Runner is probably the most demanding emulated game to run when my old GTX 570 is being maxed out with low fps (at certain parts) when I try to play at 1440p.

The GTX 980 should run it fine though.

I never tried both games. edit: My bad I didn't noticed the emulation part. My mobo has stock overclocked (rofl) the i7 4770K @3,9GHz. I haven't really find a game that will be bottlenecked from my CPU and its not bad written (anyone can create a bad optimised game that wouldn't even run well at 8Ghz LN2 CPU).

ps: I have had the same GPU (it died while I was waiting for Maxwell).

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Coseniath said:

The TR Hardware Survey 2014: What's inside your main desktop PC?

I just found it funny and in the same time a nice place for statistical info that is not coming from steam and also more detailed than steam.

Anyone can go and vote without needed to login :)

ps: I was surprised to see that Phenom II is still used more than FX series lol...

I was suprised to see that Asus practically dominates the MOBO market.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Kind of surprised that i7's and 16Gb won over everything else. Though I think the kind of people who take these surveys are more PC minded than the average joe.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Kind of surprised that i7's and 16Gb won over everything else. Though I think the kind of people who take these surveys are more PC minded than the average joe.

On the other hand most of the people use stock CPU cooler, so I'm not so sure about the "more PC minded"

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@PredatorRules: Lol, I missed that

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

I was not. Asus already stated a 2 years ago that they have 50% of global mobo market.

edit: it was 2 years ago :D ASUS X79 Motherboards Hold 70% Global Market Share. With sandybridge 50% for Z68 and 60% for P67.

@PredatorRules said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

On the other hand most of the people use stock CPU cooler, so I'm not so sure about the "more PC minded"

Type of CPU cooler:

Stock (675 votes) 25%

Aftermarket heatsink and fan (1420 votes) 53%

Aftermarket closed-loop liquid (463 votes) 17%

Other aftermarket liquid (99 votes) 4%

Other/don't know (20 votes) 1%

Are we looking at the same survey?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coseniath
@klunt_bumskrint said:

I am really impressed by that too. Especially with the 42% 16GB RAM...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeryGo  Moderator

@Coseniath said:
@PredatorRules said:

I was not. Asus already stated a 2 years ago that they have 50% of global mobo market.

edit: it was 2 years ago :D ASUS X79 Motherboards Hold 70% Global Market Share. With sandybridge 50% for Z68 and 60% for P67.

@PredatorRules said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Type of CPU cooler:

Stock (675 votes) 25%

Aftermarket heatsink and fan (1420 votes) 53%

Aftermarket closed-loop liquid (463 votes) 17%

Other aftermarket liquid (99 votes) 4%

Other/don't know (20 votes) 1%

Are we looking at the same survey?

I think the stats changed during that time, they were pretty much close to each other when I voted.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coseniath
@PredatorRules said:

I think the stats changed during that time, they were pretty much close to each other when I voted.

Dunno it was like this even the time I voted hours ago... You might misread it cause they are a little mesed up :P.

SethPeters57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By SethPeters57
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I would recommend the Asus Maximus VII Hero. It has many tweaks and customizations that can be made to the BIOS that makes overclocking with this mobo very easy. In addition, when combined with the i7-4790K, which is said to be one of the best processors when overclocked, you can make one of the highest performing, and easiest to optimize, computer builds. Here is the site for both of these products.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#15 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Well , this proves steam hardware survey is misleading , as expected . It was refreshing to see some good results .

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I am still running a 1st gen i7 920 OC, and crossfired 6950s unlocked & overclocked. Pretty much maxes out every game. Even though I have the 2gb models, I am starting to notice I cannot crank up all the games on 1600p due to the vram. The ones that don't max out are basically battlefield 4(battlefield 3 somewhat, due to vram spikes) and crysis 3, but why would I want to play those anyway?

I'm just surprised how much people have upgraded past me when it's not going to help much lol.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#17 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

@edinsftw said:

I am still running a 1st gen i7 920 OC, and crossfired 6950s unlocked & overclocked. Pretty much maxes out every game. Even though I have the 2gb models, I am starting to notice I cannot crank up all the games on 1600p due to the vram. The ones that don't max out are basically battlefield 4(battlefield 3 somewhat, due to vram spikes) and crysis 3, but why would I want to play those anyway?

I'm just surprised how much people have upgraded past me when it's not going to help much lol.

I have the same thing with my i7 920 at 4 GHz, but 560 Tis in SLI.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'll be switching back to Intel on my next new build.

For now, I'm fine with my FX-8350, 8gb RAM, and 4gb GTX 770.

Oh. I still decline to take every survey that comes my way. I just got one from Gamespot.