This topic is locked from further discussion.

thundersex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thundersex
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

im getting ready to purchase one of the half lifes. ive never played one before, and its obviously one of the best games ever made. i looked at half life 1 and 2, and half life 2 seems to look like an all around better game. half life one, from what ive heard, has an excellent story, but seems to have poor quality. i was wondering, it is absolutely necessary if i buy half life 1 before buying half life 2?

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
It isn'tnecessarybut it's better to play the first one first.
mad0260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 mad0260
Member since 2003 • 1198 Posts
half life 1 is a very memorable experience and it is NOT poor quality. the game takes a long time to tell a pretty short story line. I recommend you play it just for the action sequences and because its just so epic. if not you can always check out here
xmg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 xmg0
Member since 2005 • 1060 Posts
Get the Orange Box to get HL2. Then get the HL GOTY edition from a store so that you get HL and the awesome expansions to it as well as CS 1.6
thundersex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thundersex
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
thank you mad, this helped. im going to buy hl2. im too poor to buy hl1 for the epicness and then buy hl2. at least nw i have some background information on the first one :D
drnick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 drnick7
Member since 2004 • 995 Posts
If you can only get one, I'd get the original. I honestly think its better than the sequel, even to this day. But hey, that's just me.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

thank you mad, this helped. im going to buy hl2. im too poor to buy hl1 for the epicness and then buy hl2. at least nw i have some background information on the first one :Dthundersex

You are getting The Orange Box, right? At $40 it's a much better value.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
I wasn't very impressed with HL2 tbh, never understood what was supposed to be so epic about it. I got bored half way through.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

I wasn't very impressed with HL2 tbh, never understood what was supposed to be so epic about it. I got bored half way through.death1505921

I bet you stopped during a vehicle section, didn't you? If there's any major fault with HL2, it's that some of those vehicle sections dragged on a bit. Episode 2 has better pacing in my opinion.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
get both since hl is just 10 more bucks anyways. though id have to say, i didnt like half life when i bought it last year, but when i bought half life 2 i couldnt stop playing it over and over again for a month or so.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

You should definitely get Orange Box. OB>>>>>>>>HL.

Many people go on about the awesomeness of the original game, but I just don't see what's so great about it. Half Life 2 is a better game in almost any way.

Imo.

Yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Yorro
Member since 2007 • 715 Posts

I don't know why people judge the original so badly, it was like 10 years ago(98 to be exact).The original practically reinvented the genre, revolutionary. If you aren't there when it was first released then don't talk smack about it.

The reason that other THINK it is bad is that because they got spoiled over by the new graphics and gameplay nowadays.

Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2 are connected by story. So if you didn't play the either one, then you have trouble understanding what the game characters are saying, that is if you really IN on the story.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
get the orange box. if you find that you like hl2, you might want to give hl a shot as well. it's quite excellent.
TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

I thought HL2 was freaking awesome, i finished the game 2 more times after finishing it the first time :lol:. Episode one was great u know, u had to play it to know WTF happens next :shock: Episode two was great, it looked better than hl2 ever did, i liked fighting the hunter A LOT and the ending was :shock: but it felt like a bit too much of the same.

I played all these games without ever finishing the first game, i played it b4 when it came out but i focused more on the multiplayer ^^ it was just so much fun i totally ignored the singleplayer, but after i finished HL2 a few months ago i finished HL1 and thought it was great and i dont see why graphics are a problem when the game is this good. This would be like saying OoT sucks cuz Twilight princess looks prettier.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Many people go on about the awesomeness of the original game, but I just don't see what's so great about it. Half Life 2 is a better game in almost any way.

Imo.

artur79

If you were at a gaming age in 1998, you would have found HL 1 to be teh pwnage. Look how many times it won various awards for Best FPS. I've beaten it about 7 or 8 times now. I love the game still, I have it on my old pc.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="artur79"]

Imo.

simardbrad

If you were at a gaming age in 1998, you would have found HL 1 to be teh pwnage. Look how many times it won various awards for Best FPS. I've beaten it about 7 or 8 times now. I love the game still, I have it on my old pc.

he was only 2 years old in 1998, so you'll have to forgive him.

36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 36O
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts

im getting ready to purchase one of the half lifes. ive never played one before, and its obviously one of the best games ever made. i looked at half life 1 and 2, and half life 2 seems to look like an all around better game. half life one, from what ive heard, has an excellent story, but seems to have poor quality. i was wondering, it is absolutely necessary if i buy half life 1 before buying half life 2?

thundersex

Well you can learn the story of HL1 pretty easily, its not too complicated, but it shouldn't prevent you from playing it because it is a spectacular game worthy of purchase (personally though I will buy a copy not using steam :p)

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts
Poor quality? The original Half-Life is easily the greatest FPS of all time (yes even better than HL2 IMHO), and quite possibly the greatest game of all time. If you get the HD pack, the graphics hold up fairly well even today. The marine AI was nothing short of revolutionary. It also has a good storyline, although its a bit cliche at this point simply because so many other games have tried to duplicate it.
slacker55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slacker55
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I had it for years but never played it (got the hl:source version w/ hl2 retail). When i actually got around to playing it, I had the best gaming exp I ever had. for 10 bucks off steam it's a steal imo
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 artur79
[QUOTE="simardbrad"][QUOTE="artur79"]

Imo.

fireandcloud

Actually, that's the year I was born.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

artur79

Actually, that's the year I was born.

You're joking, right?

If you were actually born in 1998, then you would be 3 years younger than the age requirements for posting on this site.

Meh, I'll just stick with 1979.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 artur79

You're joking, right?

No, no, I'm the smartest 10 year old you'll ever meet. ;)

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fireandcloud

You're joking, right?

artur79

he's like doogie howser!

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 artur79
[QUOTE="artur79"]

You're joking, right?

fireandcloud

he's like doogie howser!

Pfft, that old geezer?

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts

[QUOTE="death1505921"]I wasn't very impressed with HL2 tbh, never understood what was supposed to be so epic about it. I got bored half way through.BlueBirdTS

I bet you stopped during a vehicle section, didn't you? If there's any major fault with HL2, it's that some of those vehicle sections dragged on a bit. Episode 2 has better pacing in my opinion.

Yeah, I quit on the second one with the big dune buggy thing. The shooting sections were pretty good but I got really bored with the first vehicle section which just felt like 4 hours of drive the hovercraft thing, get off do some shooting open a gate, hovercraft, shooting, hover craft ect ect. The ravenhold thing I felt dragged on a bit too.

I'm sure I'll pick it up eventualy again but I can't be assed to go through anouther 4 hour session on the dune buggy. Assuming its as long as the first section.

gooloop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gooloop
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

This isnt really on topic but i was wondering if any of you could give me a hand with a problem im stuck with on HL 1. its about spawning NPC's so if you believe you could help then please Pm me.

And HL 1 was much better than the second one i think. the second one was way to short.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts
If you're going to get HL2 you might as well get The Orange Box as it includes it and the episodes (and Portal and TF2). You don't need to play HL1 before playing HL2 but it does help as you would understand the story more.