H1Z1 is getting blasted with bad reviews on steam.

• 74 results
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

So players and fan are evidently crazy mad because the devs said this:

"We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water... i.e. That's kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that."

Then they said and did this:

"8) We have made the decision to allow paid for airdrops into the game with things like guns and other things being randomly selected as part of the airdrop. We’re making them highly contested and building a whole set of rules around this, but you should be aware that our goal is to make this a way to keep things interesting on the servers but still be contested. If these offend your sensibilities just know that they are going to be there. We have gone out of our way to make sure the airdrops are contested in-game and that you can’t simply expect to easily walk about to the airdrop and grab it. Even if you paid for it. "

So everyone is saying it's basically pay to win....

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

It's alpha it's been out 1 day,most people have not been able to login at launch which has been hotfixed for now,and even things like micro transactions are subject to change the whole point of alpha is to add content and constantly re balance the game from feedback received.

I think people need to wait and see how it develops first,why is it that people constantly seem to forget what Early Access and Alpha actually are.

I'm going to wait and see how things develop before i start throwing my toys out of the pram.

As for pay to win,at one point i was right next to an incoming drop and i was the first there but it was not mine,i was killed searching through the drop as i had nothing on me,but if i had got 30 seconds more i could have had that stuff that somebody else paid for......gonna have to see how this turns out overall, but it certainly is not typical pay to win.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

Yeah people complain about stupid stuff like that because they are too stupid to realize that F2P the developers have to make money somehow. I definitely don't think this is a P2W, but people are dumb :).

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

The only air drop I saw was insta-swarmed by zombies. I attempted to get to it but decided it was too risky.

It doesn't sound like pay to win to me.

KillerK1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 KillerK1ng
Member since 2014 • 135 Posts

I all for pay to win, thats okay... well, I guess but thats another debate. What isn't cool is paying for something then loosing it? Hmmm.. not really too sure what the devs are thinking but sounds kind of stupid. Its like if amazon introduced this feature into their deliveries, 'Pay for your item but there's a 50% chance your postman may be a scumbag and steal it.. we think this is the way forward in next gen delivery.'

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BSC14

I'm going to wait and see how it goes over the next 6 months or so. Could end up being really great, who knows? But jumping in at this point is going to disappoint if you're expecting a even somewhat finished game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@BSC14 said:

I'm going to wait and see how it goes over the next 6 months or so. Could end up being really great, who knows? But jumping in at this point is going to disappoint if you're expecting a even somewhat finished game.

Who expects a finished game when it clearly says early access?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BSC14

@airshocker said:

@BSC14 said:

A lot of people. Lots of games on early access get bashed for being buggy and whatnot. Not everyone is reasonable.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@airshocker: amazingly many many people do

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@airshocker said:

@BSC14 said:

Considering the fact that they are charging for it. Those people have a right to be unhappy.

Even more so the case when the devs lied about the P2W stuff. Dishonesty should be punished, and I am glad to see it being punished.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@gunmaster55555 said:

Yeah people complain about stupid stuff like that because they are too stupid to realize that F2P the developers have to make money somehow. I definitely don't think this is a P2W, but people are dumb :).

The devs said they would not make important items like guns buyable. They said that numerous times. Of course people are upset - the developers lied to them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Maroxad said:

@airshocker said:

@BSC14 said:

Considering the fact that they are charging for it. Those people have a right to be unhappy.

Even more so the case when the devs lied about the P2W stuff. Dishonesty should be punished, and I am glad to see it being punished.

No, they don't. Not when the disclaimer clearly states the game will be extremely buggy.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BSC14

@airshocker said:

@Maroxad said:

@airshocker said:

@BSC14 said:

No, they don't. Not when the disclaimer clearly states the game will be extremely buggy.

You two are talking about two different things.

Max is saying that they lied about it being P2W not bugs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@BSC14 said:

@airshocker said:

@Maroxad said:

@airshocker said:

@BSC14 said:

You two are talking about two different things.

Max is saying that they lied about it being P2W not bugs.

There are two different points to his post, as I interpreted it. I'll allow him to clarify.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@airshocker said:

The only air drop I saw was insta-swarmed by zombies. I attempted to get to it but decided it was too risky.

Even the developer of the game says it's pay 2 win. Denial and buyers remorse? And weren't you the same guy saying not to preorder GTA V?...lol. $100 says GTA V will have a far better launch than this.

j_smedley[S] [score verborgen]

I saw the same streams you guys did last night and without these changes i think it's fair to call it P2W.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@airshocker said:

@BSC14 said:

you'd be surprised..

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's also getting blasted with sarcastic positive reviews, making the overall score seem more favorable than it really is. I'm sure SOE will bend over backwards for the community to make them happy - otherwise there will be no game if it's getting nothing but negative publicity.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BSC14

@KHAndAnime said:

It's also getting blasted with sarcastic positive reviews, making the overall score seem more favorable than it really is. I'm sure SOE will bend over backwards for the community to make them happy - otherwise there will be no game if it's getting nothing but negative publicity.

Yeah I saw that...I think out of the many pages I saw there was only one or two that were really positive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@saintsatan said:

@airshocker said:

Even the developer of the game says it's pay 2 win. Denial and buyers remorse? And weren't you the same guy saying not to preorder GTA V?...lol. $100 says GTA V will have a far better launch than this.

j_smedley[S] [score verborgen]

I saw the same streams you guys did last night and without these changes i think it's fair to call it P2W.

Right, I'm totally in denial because I haven't seen something in-game that other people have. GREAT LOGIC THERE!

GTA V is also a finished game. It's like comparing a car frame with a finished BMW. The comparison doesn't work.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

- Most gamers are idiots for scoring an ALPHA low scores. It's a FREAKING ALPHA.

- Developers are too greedy by allowing mass players to join an Alpha to get the money. I would always (as a dev) do closed alphas only by invite and gradually allow more people in as you test the system.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Maroxad

@airshocker said:

There are two different points to his post, as I interpreted it. I'll allow him to clarify.

Notice how my two points were in seperate paragraphs? BSC is right. They were lying about the game not being p2w when in reality, it was.

@FelipeInside This excuse again?

I am not expecting a masterpiece in terms of polish. But this is still what they are charging people for. IT should at the very least be playable when they charge for it.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SaintSatan

@FelipeInside said:

- Most gamers are idiots for scoring an ALPHA low scores. It's a FREAKING ALPHA.

Jesus christ. Because it's an alpha we should refrain from giving a bad game a bad review? Are you serious? Please tell me this is a joke. Please.

Bad alpha? = deserves bad reviews

Good alpha? = deserves good reviews

See how that works? DD2 is in pre-alpha by the way...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

@saintsatan said:

@FelipeInside said:

Jesus christ. Because it's an alpha we should refrain from giving a bad game a bad review? Are you serious? Please tell me this is a joke. Please.

Bad Alpha = bad reviews?

Really, when it's been out 1 DAY ??

The devs have apologized and are trying to fix the bugs.... OF AN ALPHA.

No good reviewer plays just a few hours and reviews an entire game. Go on Steam and read the stupidity of what people are saying.

Like I said, these kind of open alphas are too risky imo for developers, but they want the money I guess...

You can review an Alpha no problem, but not after less than an day playing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Maroxad said:

@airshocker said:

Notice how my two points were in seperate paragraphs? BSC is right. They were lying about the game not being p2w when in reality, it was.

No, they weren't. Smedley and one of the designers have already spoken about this.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SaintSatan

@FelipeInside said:

@saintsatan said:

@FelipeInside said:

Bad Alpha = bad reviews?

Really, when it's been out 1 DAY ??

The devs have apologized and are trying to fix the bugs.... OF AN ALPHA.

No good reviewer plays just a few hours and reviews an entire game. Go on Steam and read the stupidity of what people are saying.

Like I said, these kind of open alphas are too risky imo for developers, but they want the money I guess...

You can review an Alpha no problem, but not after less than an day playing.

Yeah really, when it's been out 1 day. In fact you don't even need to play it for a second to give it a credible bad review. I can give it a negative review based on their blatant lies alone...

http://loopthetube.com/#w1o1wLkbfTU&start=2442.056&end=2450.424

Then when they "fix" it the review can be changed.

@airshocker said:

@Maroxad said:

@airshocker said:

No, they weren't. Smedley and one of the designers have already spoken about this.

Smedley admitted he lied...

what I said was at the time lying to you guys

after first saying...

If you think it’s P2W don’t buy it. Don’t play it. But I have to say wait until you’ve personally tried them before making the call.

What a great guy.

It doesn't matter that you have to "fight" for the guns or ammo. They clearly said MULTIPLE times from MULTIPLE different developers that guns, ammo, ect will NOT be in crates at all. This is why the game is getting so much negative feedback on nearly every website, not just because of the rough start. No one likes giving their money to the development of a game with sketchy incompetent developers. They marketed the **** out of this game with "there will be nothing pay 2 win" (constantly repeated on their Twitters, forums, and in videos) and then it comes out and it's pay 2 win. The devs and fans make up all sorts of dumb excuses like "BUT IT'S EARLY ACCESS". I don't even know what to say to that considering it being in early access has absolutely nothing to do with them spreading lies about their game. They knew crates had guns and ammo but lied through their fuckin teeth about it. I'm glad I didn't give them my money.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside
@saintsatan said:

Yeah really, when it's been out 1 day. In fact you don't even need to play it for a second to give it a credible bad review. I can give it a negative review based on their blatant lies alone...

Well from all your previous comments it's obvious you are on a mission to talk only bad about this game, so no point responding to you any more on this matter.

Shryke888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shryke888
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

This isn't rocket science. F2P games have been around for a while now.

Rule: money should only buy cosmetic things and quality of life things: outfits, hairstyles, housing, etc. Things that give you a gameplay advantage are no bueno.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Not big on this whole 'pay for early access to a f2p game' thing. What happened to releasing limited numbers of keys for testing a game?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SaintSatan

@with_teeth26 said:

Not big on this whole 'pay for early access to a f2p game' thing. What happened to releasing limited numbers of keys for testing a game?

Greed and money. Why release something for free when they can make thousands? Every single game is gonna be like this now. No more free betas, you must pay, even for free games. Then you must pay more for microtransactions. If that sounds fun then H1Z1 is for you.

@FelipeInside said:
@saintsatan said:

Well from all your previous comments it's obvious you are on a mission to talk only bad about this game, so no point responding to you any more on this matter.

Because I haven't heard even a single good thing about this game yet. Why don't you tell us what makes it so amazing and better than the other zombie survival games and why it's worth $20 or $40.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FelipeInside

@saintsatan said:

Because I haven't heard even a single good thing about this game yet. Why don't you tell us what makes it so amazing and better than the other zombie survival games and why it's worth $20 or $40.

I can't, because I don't own it. I'm not stupid enough to buy an alpha when the final game will be free, and not even more stupid to play it for a few hours and go online and write a review about a just released alpha.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

It's bullshit.

Alpha/beta testing is you, helping the developers and publishers. It's been construed into making people think it's the other way around: you getting the privilege. You are actually paying: to help them.

Are people really this stupid? Apparently yes. So much so they can jack the price well past the original release price.

Ridiculous. Remember playing the shit out of Quake 3 alpha in ye old good days. Nowadays that shit would probably cost £40. **** that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

@with_teeth26 said:

It's bullshit.

Alpha/beta testing is you, helping the developers and publishers. It's been construed into making people think it's the other way around: you getting the privilege. You are actually paying: to help them.

Are people really this stupid? Apparently yes. So much so they can jack the price well past the original release price.

Ridiculous. Remember playing the shit out of Quake 3 alpha in ye old good days. Nowadays that shit would probably cost £40. **** that.

Unfourtanetly I think the new generation of gamers is to blame.

They want everything yesterday, so as soon as a game gets released, even in Alpha form, they will pay anything to play it... with the same old excuse "oh, but I'm helping 'shape' the game".

If a developer tried to charge 1 CENT 20 years ago for an Alpha, everyone would boycott them. How times have changed...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

their dlc policy change is enough to make me not even consider the game

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I changed my mind about the game and got a refund.

It's just not ready, I'll wait until it's free. Might be the first F2P game I actually enjoy though.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Maroxad

@saintsatan said:

The devs and fans make up all sorts of dumb excuses like "BUT IT'S EARLY ACCESS".

And that excuse only makes the matter worse.

If they are willing to put additional paywalls to an alpha test of the game. It just shows where their efforts went into. Or alternatively. Alpha has just become a promotional marketing term. They sold the game well before it was ready.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I changed my mind about the game and got a refund.

It's just not ready, I'll wait until it's free. Might be the first F2P game I actually enjoy though.

That bad, huh?

Just kidding. I feel like it'd have to be at least be released in a playable alpha state if they want people to pony up dough to test a F2P title.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

This will only end badly.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@BSC14 said:

"We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water... i.e. That's kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that."

"8) We have made the decision to allow paid for airdrops into the game with things like guns and other things being randomly selected as part of the airdrop. We’re making them highly contested and building a whole set of rules around this, but you should be aware that our goal is to make this a way to keep things interesting on the servers but still be contested. If these offend your sensibilities just know that they are going to be there. We have gone out of our way to make sure the airdrops are contested in-game and that you can’t simply expect to easily walk about to the airdrop and grab it. Even if you paid for it. "

The real question is when people stop copying from another and make it to the next level with something interesting like story or random events, those air drops has been done already with Rust and Wasteland mod on Arma 3.

cablemodemx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#40 cablemodemx2
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

Eh, if you can get past the long server queues to actually play the game, it's a good bit of fun, especially now that the zombies actually react to your presence and seek to eat your brains. 7 Days to Die is still my go-to zombie survival game, though. If H1Z1 continues to advance and iron out all the bugs and whatnot, it could eventually take that spot.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I expected this to happen. To be honest the game looks inferior to Dayz in every aspect why would anyone want to play this instead? Not that I'm an expert on it since I haven't played Dayz myself.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

@alim298 said:

I expected this to happen. To be honest the game looks inferior to Dayz in every aspect why would anyone want to play this instead? Not that I'm an expert on it since I haven't played Dayz myself.

How can it be inferior to DayZ when it includes everything DayZ has promised for years already in alpha?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Theres other reasons to slate this game as well, everything it does is done better by other games of the same genre.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@thehig1 said:

Theres other reasons to slate this game as well, everything it does is done better by other games of the same genre.

Now I haven't played this game yet, but what kind of things?

I was really excited for this game because it already came with the things DayZ have promised for years.

And also remember, it's an Alpha. Could it be a good final game if things are fixed and optimized?

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#46  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It boggles my mind how many idiots bought into this Alpha of what's going to be a free free-to-play game.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I was definitely interested in the game because SOE seemed like the right developer with the right amount of resources to give us a good survival game in a reasonable time frame. No more of this "in alpha for years" crap like DayZ. However, a lot of this talk about the game is discouraging. This is why I'm always weary about early-access games right when they launch. There's no way of knowing if the game is even playable, let alone any good. Thankfully there are people out there willing to take the risk so the rest of us don't have to find out the hard way.

Also, I'm definitely not a fan of this whole "pay to test a free game for us" attitude. I wasn't a fan when Wasteland 2's early access costed more than the final game (I understand their flimsy reason, and I love the game, but still...) and I definitely don't like the idea of paying for something that will be free. Can people really not wait to play it?

Hopefully they'll turn it around and maybe make some policy changes, but I'm not holding my breath.

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

I've watched some Twitch game play and some YouTube clips. To me, it just looks like junk. I guess you could say that about a lot of these types of games that are coming out, but H1Z1 is just blegh IMO. Yeah foraging for good food, water, and weapons in DayZ SA can become tedious, but that's what makes being killed so much more real. Don't get me wrong, I'm also frustrated that it's taking so long to add simple things to DayZ SA like more vehicles, weapons, and ZOMBIES, but I still feel like it is a more fulfilling game.

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

@BSC14 said:

I have not played the game, but I don't get the complaint at this point. My understanding is that you can call in an airdrop, but that everyone can see it coming in and then floating to the ground, so several people on the server could potentially try and get the air drop. The point is that even if you pay to call it in, that doesn't mean your even going to get the airdrop.

The game is set to be free to play, I see the airdrop as the developer trying to find new and unique ways to make money. You are only going to go so far selling silly hats and costumes for characters.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

After a day 1 patch it looks like everyone is now happy. The game is getting very positive reviews the last 24 hours from 100's of gamers and the forums seems to be praising it compared to DayZ and a lot of DayZ players are moving to H1Z1 because a day 1 patch fixed every issue that has been plaguing DayZ since launch well over a year ago.

Looks like they fixed the P2W aspect of it and now the loot crates are heavily contested by players and zombies.