Guild Wars 2 - the MMO we have been waiting for?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

ok, we've been disappointed by mmos over and over in the last 4 years or so, everything from the mess of hellgate london through auto assault to age of conan (i admit to various degrees). according to the new Arenanet blog, GW2 seems to be the mmo that will bring something to the mmo genre that has been a long time coming. some random paragraphs:

http://www.arena.net/blog/

With traditional MMOs you can choose to solo or you can find a good guild or party to play with. With GW2 there's a third option too: you can just naturally play with all the people around you. I personally spend a big chunk of my time in traditional MMOs soloing, but when I play GW2 I always find myself naturally working with everyone around me to accomplish world objectives, and before long we find ourselves saying, "Hey, there's a bunch of us here; let's see if we can take down the swamp boss together," without ever having bothered to form a party.

GW2 shares this flexible skill system. The big difference is that now skills are much more visual in explaining what they do. The process of actually discovering combos, or understanding them when they're used against you, is a lot more clear, because you can visually see how skills combo with each other. An Elementalist can cast Fire Wall next to an opponent, and then switch to Water attunement, which freezes all enemies around him. Using the concussive force of Water Trident, he can slam his frozen enemy into the Fire Wall, leaving him to roast in the flames.

And like the original GW, in GW2 the creativity doesn't end with your own character. When you play with others, you'll find that your abilities can complement theirs, and that you can discover new skill combos and strategies between professions. So if you're playing an Elementalist, try casting a fire wall, and then see what happens when your friends shoot projectiles through it.

Of course GW2 has great support for parties, but they just don't feel as necessary as they do in other MMOs, because your interests are always aligned with all other nearby players anyway. When someone kills a monster, not just that player's party but everyone who was seriously involved in the fight gets 100% of the XP and loot for the kill. When an event is happening in the world – when the bandits are terrorizing a village – everyone in the area has the same motivation, and when the event ends, everyone gets rewarded.

We even redesigned the competitive part of the game to be friendly like this. Now worlds can compete against each other, through the mists that separate them, for scarce resources that benefit an entire world. Joining this PvP competition is completely optional, just like it was in the original GW, but if you do compete you're now going to find that your world welcomes you with open arms. You don't have to join a party to join the fight. All you have to do is get out there and start helping. Everyone has the same objective, and if your world can get 501 people working for the same goal, that's only going to be more helpful than 500 people.

dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

Well I am now convinced that ANet does have some clever ideas. The fact that you don't need to join a group in PvE sounds like the questing in Warhammer Online. And as for the PvP, from what I've read it is similar to that of Aion's.

But I am not worried at all, because ANet can work magics and it is them who can do a great job. And hopefully Bioware too. :)

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

So now our hope lies on ToR, then GW 2, then Blizzards new MMO. I'm officially giving up on MMO's if one of these three fail to successfully revolutionize MMO's.

Monkeydude07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Monkeydude07
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts

I have high hopes for GW2, because i enjoyed GW so much and spent so much time on it. But they shouldn't release as many expansions because i was really feeling it going down after Factions.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kh1ndjal

I have high hopes for GW2, because i enjoyed GW so much and spent so much time on it. But they shouldn't release as many expansions because i was really feeling it going down after Factions.

Monkeydude07
they realized that, which is why they decided they can no longer release more expansions and decided that eye of the north should be less of a standalone game (ie only an expansion) and more of a transition towards guildwars2, in which they could put all of the things that couldnt be feasible for the current guildwars engine and system.

So now our hope lies on ToR, then GW 2, then Blizzards new MMO. I'm officially giving up on MMO's if one of these three fail to successfully revolutionize MMO's.

cyborg100000
my hope lies pretty much only with guildwars2. i think cataclysm might be a lot of fun and im thinking of purchasing it if it's released before the end of the year. however, in cataclysm there is really nothing that i expect will blow me away. TOR, again, looks like it could be hell of a lot of fun, but nothing to blow me away. my main gripes with mmos after playing GW is that skills are lame. fireball rank 1 and rank 22 works the same (use some spellcounting mods in WoW and you will realize you cast hundreds of fireballs in a single day). no skill synergy in pvp, better equipped solo players will obliterate battlegrounds, arena requires grinding for gear. there is one dps in the group that has insanely good gear and has damage meter bars twice as long as the next damage dealer. getting equipment is more a part of gameplay than having fun, or coordinating with teammates. in that regard, guildwars2 appears to be everything that made guildwars great and everything that will make it better: persistent worlds, better skills, world events, huge battles, solo players being rewarded for their contribution without having to join a hundred-man guild... you get the idea
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
I never played GW, but this game looks like its going to be hot sex. Well maybe not a substitute for it but you know what I mean
Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
I played Guild Wars for a very long time, being one of the people who were playing since before any of the expansions came out :P I'm looking forward to it, sounds like they're keeping what was good and improving what was bad.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Guild Wars had my favorite class customization. That being said, it felt extraordinarily unbalanced for anyone trying to being creative (as with most MMOs).

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
Any free to play mmo (high scale) is doomed to wash away from mainstream quickly. It won't stand a chance against SWTOR and WoW.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Any free to play mmo (high scale) is doomed to wash away from mainstream quickly. It won't stand a chance against SWTOR and WoW.Bigsteve3570

From what I understand they don't care. It is more like carving your own little niche out and appealing to that market as opposed to making it a WoW clone. It will do amazingly well for what it is.

NewbAmoeba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 NewbAmoeba
Member since 2008 • 198 Posts

That being said, it felt extraordinarily unbalanced for anyone trying to being creative (as with most MMOs).

Swiftstrike5
I have to ask how long you had played/how long you've been playing Guild Wars. Because I've been playing it since it came out, and there are hundreds upon thousands of effective builds that are altogether very creative and complementary in Guild Wars. In fact, this is one of my favorite things about the game. There never really was a 'set' build that everybody always used. For short periods of time, yes, but there is class exclusivity and a necessity for teammates to work together, and not only that, but there always has been a nerf for overpowered builds, like the old Ursan for PvE. I encourage you to rethink your mindset.
Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Guild Wars was the MMO I liked. World of Warcraft was the MMO people called Traditional. BFBC2 is my Not-So-Massively Multiplayer Online Game of choice. Thank you for your time.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kh1ndjal

it felt extraordinarily unbalanced for anyone trying to being creative (as with most MMOs).

Swiftstrike5
i disagree. it is the only game in which you can effectively do high level (things like fissure of woe and underworld) without the classic mmo healer/tank/dps combination. ive done fow with an 8-ranger build. and i could give tons of examples of builds that would be considered unorthodox in any other mmo.
Any free to play mmo (high scale) is doomed to wash away from mainstream quickly. It won't stand a chance against SWTOR and WoW.Bigsteve3570
well, it is arenanet and guildwars we're talking about. released less than a year after wow (i think) it won game of the year awards for doing things its own way that really sucked people in. WoW is an anomaly, and not every fun mmo needs to have a user base of 5+ million players.