graphics card overheating PSU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

p0g0theclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 p0g0theclown
Member since 2005 • 2364 Posts

I've just been given a computer by my in laws hoping to use it for a second computer for my wife to play WOW. Unofrtunately i havent got the specs with me atm as am at work. The problem is that when we load up wow on the comp and can manage to get roughly bout 15mins of play before the computer shuts itself down, having looked inside the comp, the graphics card is completely boiling and the fan on it diesnt seems to work.

My thinking is that the PSU cant handle the graphics card, could anyone kinda roughly confirm that maybe the case or if not does anyone else have any solutions?

thanks

DJ8WORK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DJ8WORK
Member since 2003 • 2675 Posts

sounds like your graphics card fan is f**ked, open up the side of a tower/case and run your computer and see if the fan is running on you GPU or even your CPU. If not u can alwasy buy a new fan for them off ebay. I really dont think its the PSU

DJ8WORK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DJ8WORK
Member since 2003 • 2675 Posts

oh i forgot to mention, adding a fan to the broken (if it is the case) GPU/CPU should solve the problem

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

It's most likely the GPU overheating if the fans do not spin there's your problem. It might even be the cpu but it unlikely. The PSU however should be completely fine, heck a good 300W can power a 9800GTX.