Graphic or Game-Story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vaczec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vaczec
Member since 2009 • 159 Posts

1.Do you think that the game is better if it has good graphic (and bad game-story).

2.Or it's better with bad graphic (but good game-story)

3.Honestly I like both good. lol

GOOD GRAPHIC AND GOOD GAME-STORY.

NOTE:You can't answer with 1. AND 2. or WITH 3. JUST with 1. or 2.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Story, screw the graphics...
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Story. Half the time I don't notice graphics in a game, but I love a good story.

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
Gameplay>Story>Graphics.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Story. Good graphics enhance the story though...

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Well couldn't good visuals also give a better representation of the story?

Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

So you're the only one who gets good graphics and good story? You tyrant!

Story > Graphics

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Good story.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

it depends.when one wants a spot of casual gaming (which i do more oftern), a heavy story isnt what you want. still needs some sort of story tho. i rarely get really sucked in. mafia, the witcher, call of juarez bound in blood are a few rare exceptions.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Story... Most of the time Story and good graphic's dont go hand in hand. (mainly because the devs either focus on story or on graphics)

vaczec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vaczec
Member since 2009 • 159 Posts

Ok,Ok,

For an example:Assassin's Creed

I don't think that game would be good without good graphics(no offend on story)

I think that good graphics makes 55% of a good game.

Another example:Cod 4(good story too)

soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

I would rather have a game that has great game play and amazing visuals than a game that has great game play and great story.

Example: I would rather have LoZ:OoT which had insane graphics and amazing gameplay but a shallow story over FF7 which had amazing game play / story but kind sucky graphics.

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
Story. The most talked about 'classic' games are still alive today because they have good story (Fallout 1 & 2 for example) and ok graphics.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
You can't answer with 1. AND 2. or WITH 3. JUST with 1. or 2.vaczec
It is 2009 I can sure as hell expect 1 and 2 together, but if I had to pick 1 or the other I'd go with 2.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

well, i take a good story of graphics anyday. but good graphics do help.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I prefer a good balance of both. ;)

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
[QUOTE="vaczec"]You can't answer with 1. AND 2. or WITH 3. JUST with 1. or 2.CellAnimation
It is 2009 I can sure as hell expect 1 and 2 together, but if I had to pick 1 or the other I'd go with 2.

What world do you live in? Its very rare for games to have a good story, gameplay and graphics. Its like ye... hard to find games like that O.o
felixiration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 felixiration
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

Story is most important to me, but good graphics are nice. The one thing that can completely tank a game is horrid controls that I can't change.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Gameplay is much more important.. but then after gameplay i would rather see nice graphics rather than a very indepth story (movies and books if i want that). I don't mind playing a game with no story aslong as it is fun and challenging to play and looks suitable for the type of game.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RiseAgainst12

I bet most of you wouldn't play your favoruite game franchises if the Graphics were horribly bad.. Graphics are important in a game, more so than Story. Now i am not saying good graphics = Crysis, but the graphics do have to be suitable for the game at hand. If every game was simply stickmen drawn with no transition between movements would you still play the game? nope i doubt you would.

streloksbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 streloksbolt
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

Graphics and gameplay. The story is cutscene filler.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
Sometimes, graphics can make a story more enjoyable :)
willx10121013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 willx10121013
Member since 2004 • 300 Posts

I bet most of you wouldn't play your favoruite game franchises if the Graphics were horribly bad.. Graphics are important in a game, more so than Story. Now i am not saying good graphics = Crysis, but the graphics do have to be suitable for the game at hand. If every game was simply stickmen drawn with no transition between movements would you still play the game? nope i doubt you would.

RiseAgainst12

diablo 1 and 2, terrible graphics (your limited to 800x600 lol) but i still play both frequently, and another one, the longest journey (1st) was a point and click game with bad graphics (not for its time, but today they are horrible) but a fantastic story....

so i guess i'm a story/gameplay > graphics kinda person.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Story so that everything you do in the game actually has some context and significance to it. A game can be about purely shooting (Max Payne/Modern Warfare) as long as there is a reason for what you are doing. Both those games do it very well because they have strong narratives.

Something like FEAR, although it is also purely a shooter, has some very lazy, fragmented storytelling.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Story.If it has good graphics aswell that's a bonus.But if it doesn't yet delivers in the story department i could care less.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RiseAgainst12

[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"]

willx10121013

diablo 1 and 2, terrible graphics (your limited to 800x600 lol) but i still play both frequently, and another one, the longest journey (1st) was a point and click game with bad graphics (not for its time, but today they are horrible) but a fantastic story....

No those games have good graphics.. for there time. If a game is old and the graphics represent good graphics from back then, then it still has good graphics. Heck i play alot of old games and still love them (Dungeon Keepers 2, Rainbow six and Ghost recon originals). Basically Gameplay >>>>>>> Graphics > story. But if a game came out today and had those very same graphics but a very strong story would you pay full price? no. All i am saying that all of you saying story > graphics is not true.. If it was stickmen and no colour, just basically like a 2 year old drew all the animation you wouldn't play or buy it. Graphics help involve you more in a story, they also help tie gameplay in by keeping it fluid and looking nice. The day that story takes the front seat of gaming i am out (Not including RPG's in this)
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RiseAgainst12

Story so that everything you do in the game actually has some context and significance to it. A game can be about purely shooting (Max Payne/Modern Warfare) as long as there is a reason for what you are doing. Both those games do it very well because they have strong narratives.

Something like FEAR, although it is also purely a shooter, has some very lazy, fragmented storytelling.

biggest_loser

All a game needs to do is say here are the bad guys, there is your goal.. go do it. Most of my favourite games don't care much for story but have very fun, fluid gameplay and acceptable graphics (much more than there story) and i still played them more than the likes of a game like Bioshock, Half life2 etc. (not to say these games were bad, just didn't hold my attention after completing them.) Simply because a game based solely on story you will finish with as soon as you have progressed through the story, unless ofcourse they add online play in which case story gets thrown out the window. Which is the reason modern Warfare was so popular and lasted aslong as it did.. Online multiplayer which had nothing at all to do with story.

Also look at the most popular games at the minute and why do you like them.. Dawn of war 2? Team fortress? Counter strike: source? Modern warfare? Because they look acceptable and are great multiplayer games. Not because they have story that would blow your mind.

Now i will change my opinion when talking about RPG because they have always basically been about a story.. An RPG can still be good even with bad gameplay and graphics aslong as the story is solid. But RPG's are on a whole different level.. so take it as the majority of games like FPS, RTS, fighting, Sports. all games that are much more enjoyable due to nice graphics and solid gameplay... There will be games that can break the mold from time to time yes.. but in the big picture Graphics and Gameplay are much more important in the majority of games.

willx10121013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 willx10121013
Member since 2004 • 300 Posts

[QUOTE="willx10121013"]

[QUOTE="RiseAgainst12"]

RiseAgainst12

No those games have good graphics.. for there time. If a game is old and the graphics represent good graphics from back then, then it still has good graphics. Heck i play alot of old games and still love them (Dungeon Keepers 2, Rainbow six and Ghost recon originals). Basically Gameplay >>>>>>> Graphics > story. But if a game came out today and had those very same graphics but a very strong story would you pay full price? no. All i am saying that all of you saying story > graphics is not true.. If it was stickmen and no colour, just basically like a 2 year old drew all the animation you wouldn't play or buy it. Graphics help involve you more in a story, they also help tie gameplay in by keeping it fluid and looking nice. The day that story takes the front seat of gaming i am out (Not including RPG's in this)

I see your point now, but if a game had incredible "true to life" graphics but no story would you still pay full price :question:;). It sounds like your talking about a book actually, terrible graphics (or none lol) but great story. I personally would still take the story>graphics over the other choice, but thankfully games don't have as bad of animations as your discribing, and if they do then they certainly won't have a great storyline to them.

Oh, and diablo had pretty average (at best) graphics for its time, Blizzard was trying to not push the graphical boundaries so more ppl could play the game(s) on their current systems.

Edit: I was just reading your post above me and you mentioned TF2 and CS:S, both games i thouroghly enjoy, although i don't think either one looks all that great, they're more gameplay>graphics/story. So i suppose it depends on the game, and choosing say Graphics>Story or Story>Graphics doesn't really work except on a game by game biases.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Gameplay > Graphics > Story for me. I'm more of an arcade/puzzle player so story isn't as important to me.
JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

biggest_loser

Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay!

If it had better story and level design, Fear could've been a masterpiece. On the other hand, a combination of great story and great graphics could not save BioShock from it's lackluster gameplay.

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Story >>>>>>>>>>>> Sound >>> Graphics

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

JackBurton

Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay!

If it had better story and level design, Fear could've been a masterpiece. On the other hand, a combination of great story and great graphics could not save BioShock from it's lackluster gameplay.

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Story >>>>>>>>>>>> Sound >>> Graphics

Then why is Bioshock loved so much by both critics and gamers alike?

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

gameplay always comes first. serviceable graphic is appreciated, and great graphic is a bonus.

yet, in rare case when story is so integrated into gameplay, the best game was born = Planescape: Torment.

chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

Game Story > Graphics for my case,

dmcguk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dmcguk
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

Gameplay>Story>Graphics.sub-raid

MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

It's a no brainer for me. If a game doesn't have an adequate story then I don't bother to finish it. Oblivion had amazing graphics and average gameplay but I hated every character I met and absolutley loathed the story. In the end I didn't even sink fifteen hours into it.

Baldur's Gate on the other hand, has dated graphics but absolutely phenomenal story and great gameplay and I'm starting my third play through soon. Deus Ex is another case in point - the game looks like garbage - yet I'm still playing.

Of course I won't play a game that has "stickman" graphics (but no retail game I know has those graphics) but they certainly don't need to be state of the art or even good. As long as gameplay and story are there then the game is worth it.

And by the way I think Team Fortress 2 has an excellent story for multiplayer games (same with L4D). Valve is excellent at injecting environmental storytelling that make their games much more interesting then the average shooters.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Story

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts
Gameplay>Story>Graphics.sub-raid
This. ^
badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
Gameplay is more important than Story and Graphics.
sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts

RiseAgainst12
We are not saying we would play a game with bad graphics, what we are saying here is that story is more important in general.
nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

Graphic and then story

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#42 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

Graphic and then story

nikola96
I too am a graphics whore my fellow gamespoter:P
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
graphics. unless it is supposed to be a story-driven game. serious sam comes to mind. i don't know if it had a story or not but it was great! or something like diablo (i dont know what tyrael is up to and i dont care) or titan quest (at the end of act 1 and i think leonidas is worried about something, not sure though). how about unreal tournament? is there really a story to that?
Vaultn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vaultn00b
Member since 2009 • 281 Posts
I can't play the story and I can't play the graphics. A game has to have everything in order to be good.
CyberAltair5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#45 CyberAltair5
Member since 2008 • 1346 Posts

Ok,Ok,

For an example:Assassin's Creed

I don't think that game would be good without good graphics(no offend on story)

I think that good graphics makes 55% of a good game.

Another example:Cod 4(good story too)

vaczec
No, Assassins Creed has one of the deepest plots this generation. Assassins Creed isn't good because of the graphics but because of the story. CoD4 is a good game because of a cinematic (though short) story and a solid multiplayer not because of the graphics. Also graphics don't make 55% of a good game, they just make a game look good.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Gameplay, then graphics & story. A game with great gameplay can get away with an OK story and graphics, but not the other way around.
Vital93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Vital93
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts
Gameplay, then graphics & story. A game with great gameplay can get away with an OK story and graphics, but not the other way around.F1_2004
I agree!
kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts

For me there is 2... Gameplay and storyline.....

I'd rather play Thousand Arms in PSX than WoW clone games........