GPU Not Working After Memory Addition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EskimosAreReal
Member since 2007 • 496 Posts

So last night I installed more memory to my computer and now my GPU isn't registering. "Display Devices" isn't showing up at all now under "Device Manager". It used to show up and list my GPU. Now, under "System Devices", IntelĀ®915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port - 2581 has an exclamation on it. When I check its Properties it says, "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system".
I tried uninstalling the drivers for the GPU then re-installing them, but I get an error when I try to install it. My GPU is a 7900gs. I had two sticks of 1GB sticks and the new one is also a 1GB PNY stick with the exact same specs, CAS Latency, voltage, etc. I even upgraded my power supply to a 550 watt unit. I tried removing one of the older sticks and using the other one with the new PNY one and it was fine again. It's just not working when I have all three in there. My PC can handle up to 4GB so I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone please help me get my GPU working again?! Thanx!!

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

So last night I installed more memory to my computer and now my GPU isn't registering. "Display Devices" isn't showing up at all now under "Device Manager". It used to show up and list my GPU. Now, under "System Devices", IntelĀ®915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port - 2581 has an exclamation on it. When I check its Properties it says, "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system".
I tried uninstalling the drivers for the GPU then re-installing them, but I get an error when I try to install it. My GPU is a 7900gs. I had two sticks of 1GB sticks and the new one is also a 1GB PNY stick with the exact same specs, CAS Latency, voltage, etc. I even upgraded my power supply to a 550 watt unit. I tried removing one of the older sticks and using the other one with the new PNY one and it was fine again. It's just not working when I have all three in there. My PC can handle up to 4GB so I don't know what the problem is. Can anyone please help me get my GPU working again?! Thanx!!

EskimosAreReal

What operating system are you running? And is it the 32-bit or 64-bit version? Also.. what is your brand and model of motherboard?

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
Some boards don't work well with more than 2 ram sticks, or if you have too many combined ram chips... Sounds like you have an older board, might be what you are seeing, I know my board which is pretty new won't with with 2x1gb and 2x512mb properly... (unless it runs in asymetric dual channel mode...)
EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EskimosAreReal

Windows XP Home 32-bit

Asus PTGD2-VX mobo

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

Windows XP Home 32-bit

Asus PTGD2-VX mobo

EskimosAreReal
You probbly bumped the GPU when you were installing the new ram. Take out your GPU and Re Seat it back in the slot. it should work then.
EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EskimosAreReal

I thought of that. So I removed the card and then re-seated it. It's in the slot firmly and aligned and everything.

EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EskimosAreReal

Some boards don't work well with more than 2 ram sticks, or if you have too many combined ram chips... Sounds like you have an older board, might be what you are seeing, I know my board which is pretty new won't with with 2x1gb and 2x512mb properly... (unless it runs in asymetric dual channel mode...)Captain__Tripps

Should I try running in asymetric dual channel mode?? How do I do that??

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]Some boards don't work well with more than 2 ram sticks, or if you have too many combined ram chips... Sounds like you have an older board, might be what you are seeing, I know my board which is pretty new won't with with 2x1gb and 2x512mb properly... (unless it runs in asymetric dual channel mode...)EskimosAreReal

Have you tried putting the new extra stick in the other free ram slot? You might also try putting the old ram in the other ram bank, and the new ram where one of the old one is, probably won't do any good, but ive seen stranger things lol If that doesn't do anything you might want to contact your motherboard manu support and see if they can offer any help.
polarwrath11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 polarwrath11
Member since 2006 • 1676 Posts
Why don't you remove the memory as a control test to see if the GPU is still ok? That way, if there is no prob once new memory is removed, then you know to blame it on the memory (which is probs the problem). The RAM is most likely not compatible with your mobo. Did you check?
EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EskimosAreReal

Why don't you remove the memory as a control test to see if the GPU is still ok? That way, if there is no prob once new memory is removed, then you know to blame it on the memory (which is probs the problem). The RAM is most likely not compatible with your mobo. Did you check?polarwrath11

I did remove the new memory and everything was fine again. I then tried the new memory with one of the old sticks, still fine. I tried removing my GPU and ran my PC with the integrated chipset and all three memory sticks, still fine. I'm only having my problem when all three sticks are in there w/ the GPU. The new memory is 100% compatible with my mobo as it shows up and has the exact same specs as my older two. I even ran CPU-Z and they're all the same.

EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EskimosAreReal

[QUOTE="EskimosAreReal"]

[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]Some boards don't work well with more than 2 ram sticks, or if you have too many combined ram chips... Sounds like you have an older board, might be what you are seeing, I know my board which is pretty new won't with with 2x1gb and 2x512mb properly... (unless it runs in asymetric dual channel mode...)Captain__Tripps

Have you tried putting the new extra stick in the other free ram slot? You might also try putting the old ram in the other ram bank, and the new ram where one of the old one is, probably won't do any good, but ive seen stranger things lol If that doesn't do anything you might want to contact your motherboard manu support and see if they can offer any help.

Been there, done that.

EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EskimosAreReal

Bump.