GPU kaput after error and restart

This topic is locked from further discussion.

callthepress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 callthepress
Member since 2005 • 705 Posts

Earlier this week I was playing Rome Total War and recieved an error saying something about a nv4_disp display driver error stopped working and it needed me to restart my computer. The resolution of my computer also changed to like... 400x300 or something with alot of color changes and pixilation. After i clicked ok and restarted my computer never would come back on. Everything in the computer would be recieving power, but no display on the monitor and no beep sounded.

I went through my whole computer checking things and figured out if I just replaced my GPU with one from my dad's computer, it started up just fine with everything the exact same. My question is... Can an error like that really mess up my GPU? or did the GPU crash and that was just telling me it did? I checked around to see what the error meant and it seem to be an error with the graphics driver (go figure) so im not sure that has any relation to the GPU stopping. I'm going to try to find a computer today to test the GPU and see if it works in another computer just to finalize my conclusion, but as of right now it seems to be dead. The fan still moves, but im not sure if that is a sign that it still works or that its just recieving power.

I built the computer about 4 to 5 years ago so if it did actually crap out on me then I truthfully wouldn't be to surprised. I'm just confused on how it actually crashed the way it did.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Earlier this week I was playing Rome Total War and recieved an error saying something about a nv4_disp display driver error stopped working and it needed me to restart my computer. The resolution of my computer also changed to like... 400x300 or something with alot of color changes and pixilation. After i clicked ok and restarted my computer never would come back on. Everything in the computer would be recieving power, but no display on the monitor and no beep sounded.

I went through my whole computer checking things and figured out if I just replaced my GPU with one from my dad's computer, it started up just fine with everything the exact same. My question is... Can an error like that really mess up my GPU? or did the GPU crash and that was just telling me it did? I checked around to see what the error meant and it seem to be an error with the graphics driver (go figure) so im not sure that has any relation to the GPU stopping. I'm going to try to find a computer today to test the GPU and see if it works in another computer just to finalize my conclusion, but as of right now it seems to be dead. The fan still moves, but im not sure if that is a sign that it still works or that its just recieving power.

I built the computer about 4 to 5 years ago so if it did actually crap out on me then I truthfully wouldn't be to surprised. I'm just confused on how it actually crashed the way it did.

callthepress
Does your screen goes black only when it loads windows xp or is it black even when you restart?Can you go into the bios?
Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts

callthepress
The error didnt make your GPU stop working, your GPU stopped working which caused the error. The error you are describing means that while executing code, the GPU in some way stopped responding causing a crash. The fact the fan moves simply means the card is recieving power. The GPU is dead sorry :(
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
^ kinda agree with the guy above i think your gpu is dead
callthepress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 callthepress
Member since 2005 • 705 Posts

Ok, thats what I was thinking happend. I actually took it to a friends house yesterday, switched my GPU for his and it did the same thing. Oh well, that thing lasted through alot of hours so im pretty happy it went this long, hehe. Guess it's not a total loss considering GPUs these days are so cheap, shouldn't be to hard to find a really nice one for a reasonable price. Thanks again for the replys!

And for the poster asking about when the screen goes black... I can't actually get it to boot up, since nothing comes on the screen I cant go into the BIOS or try to get into Windows. Therefore, I can't restart the computer either.