Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 profanityVP
Member since 2005 • 393 Posts

hi, i'm running a hd7970 gpu on i5 2500k processor

playing games like far cry 3 and 4, and watchdogs, the gpu fans go up to almost 100 percent, when set on auto,

is there something wrong?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@profanityVP said:

hi, i'm running a hd7970 gpu on i5 2500k processor

playing games like far cry 3 and 4, and watchdogs, the gpu fans go up to almost 100 percent, when set on auto,

is there something wrong?

Why would it be wrong for the GPU fans to run on 100%?, you can set them manually AMD Catalyst / MSI Afterburner

I would apply new thermal paste in case the core gets overheated.

profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By profanityVP

i don't want to set it for manual because the fans are designed to keep the gpu running in safe temps,

i'm reaching about 90 degrees when gaming, so if i had it on any less then it would surely be too much and unsafe for the gpu to handle,

reason why i am asking is because its so loud, and i would assume normal fan speeds were between 35 percent to 50 percent when gaming, and not at 100 percent,

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Exactly what 7970 do you have and what case are you using?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

So what if its loud? its doing its job obviously.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeryGo  Moderator

@profanityVP said:

i don't want to set it for manual because the fans are designed to keep the gpu running in safe temps,

i'm reaching about 90 degrees when gaming, so if i had it on any less then it would surely be too much and unsafe for the gpu to handle,

reason why i am asking is because its so loud, and i would assume normal fan speeds were between 35 percent to 50 percent when gaming, and not at 100 percent,

90C isn't good unless you've OC it.

the normal temps for GPU is 70C, I would seriously advice you to reapply thermal paste

ice_ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ice_ranger
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

Make sure that fan is not dying out. What is the temperature on idle anyways?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

One of my 7850s does the same, my temporary solution Thats ended becoming permanent is too increase the airflow through the case dramatically.

I've got max amount of fans in the case set up correctly and the pc is on my window sill to take on cold air through the front fans.

Dropped my temps by about 15 degrees.

Also since I crossfired my system I made the gpu with the loud fan the secondary card.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

My last couple of AMD cards have been really loud, especially the 7950 boost. That's why I went with a 980 this time round. Does grate on me when your PC sounds like it's going to take off. Hopefully they sort that in the future.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Chances are your running a reference cooler, their loud, best thing to do is to clean out all the dust.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

@thehig1 said:

One of my 7850s does the same, my temporary solution Thats ended becoming permanent is too increase the airflow through the case dramatically.

I've got max amount of fans in the case set up correctly and the pc is on my window sill to take on cold air through the front fans.

Dropped my temps by about 15 degrees.

Also since I crossfired my system I made the gpu with the loud fan the secondary card.

Applying new thermal can help as well.

With my 7870's my top was always getting pretty hot. About 77 when they room was avg, and sometimes in the low 80's when the room was hot.

I put some arctic silver 5 on it and it changed everything. When the room was at normal temps, it didn't even reach 70c. When the room was hot, it reached maybe 74-75c.

But for a single card, cleaning the case, the fans on the gpu, adding paste, and more airflow. He should see those temps go down.

With a single 7870 in my case, I seldom passed 64c. Reason i didn't mention the second card in the response above, was because it never went passed 62c. :P

Before I installed the fan bios on this 970. Max temp was 58c. So a little lower than my 7870.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thehig1

@kitty: I havnt even applied thermal paste to my 7850 yet...I should do that to keep temps down when summer hits and I can't rely on cold air from outside

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kitty  Moderator

@thehig1 said:

@kitty: I havnt even applied thermal paste to my 7850 yet...I should do that to keep temps down when summer hits and I can't rely on cold air from outside

You'll only need to do it for the top card since heat rises. (Your sig says crossfire :P Hopefully you still have them both) So no worries about doing it for both, but if you want to do both, feel free. Adding some fans to take out the heat will help as well.

I plan to add another 970 in this rig.

Older pic, but if you have a case similar to this with fan options on the top. I'd go for adding some. I've got two Corsair AF 120's on the top. I've noticed I could have used 140's, but oh well, these do the job just fine. :P I keep mine running at 1200rpm. Adding these help lower temps some as well.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Clean the card from dust using canned air. Also clean your case fans and cpu/psu fans. It will work wonders

I have a 7850 that i regularly clean it from dust and i never saw it exceeding 70c even during summer time and gpu fan speed rarely exceeds 60%. As long as you keep good airflow in your case and keep your componets free of dust you should be fine

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

GPU prolly needs dusting

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thehig1

@kitty said:

@thehig1 said:

You'll only need to do it for the top card since heat rises. (Your sig says crossfire :P Hopefully you still have them both) So no worries about doing it for both, but if you want to do both, feel free. Adding some fans to take out the heat will help as well.

I plan to add another 970 in this rig.

Older pic, but if you have a case similar to this with fan options on the top. I'd go for adding some. I've got two Corsair AF 120's on the top. I've noticed I could have used 140's, but oh well, these do the job just fine. :P I keep mine running at 1200rpm. Adding these help lower temps some as well.

I have two of these on the top of my case

cooler master sickle 120mm

Another two in the front, and at the back. All the same fan because its pretty powerful.

Sumvision Nemesis that's my case.

I think the airflow in my system is first class, its probably why I have gotten away with not having to re-apply thermal paste on my GPU's

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kitty  Moderator
@thehig1 said:

Another two in the front, and at the back. All the same fan because its pretty powerful.

I think the airflow in my system is first class, its probably why I have gotten away with not having to re-apply thermal paste on my GPU's

Nice. I actually thought about blue for mine :P But since I got a red and black mobo, decided to go with red, because blue wouldn't match :P

How is the noise with those?

I didn't have these AF's for the longest, so that might be why I had high gpu temps as well.

Might be. I only had to do the top card though. It was smaller that might be why to.

profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 profanityVP

things to note,

yes I'm using a reference card, basically purchased the hd7970 first week it was released,

I push canned air regularly, and the componenets inside the case is fairly dust free, as much as a computer can get,

secondly the airflow shouldn't really be a problem since theres good cable management, and ihave two exhaust fans on the top of the case, one big one on the side of the case and one fan on the bottom of the case, as well as two fans in front of the case pulling air in,, so its all going in one direction from the front and out the top,

idle temps on the card are about 45 to 50 degrees, it doesn't really get hot or the fan doesn't get loud when I'm watching movies, or hd movies,

its only loud, I mean really loud like 90 percent fan speed when I'm playing graphic intensive games,

not sure if I have a broken card or not but its annoying and I've resorted to playing most games on ps4 and xbox one,

thinkin of selling the computer and just buying a cheap laptop for internet usage and doing games on consoles if this keeps up,

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@profanityVP said:

things to note,

yes I'm using a reference card, basically purchased the hd7970 first week it was released,

I push canned air regularly, and the componenets inside the case is fairly dust free, as much as a computer can get,

secondly the airflow shouldn't really be a problem since theres good cable management, and ihave two exhaust fans on the top of the case, one big one on the side of the case and one fan on the bottom of the case, as well as two fans in front of the case pulling air in,, so its all going in one direction from the front and out the top,

idle temps on the card are about 45 to 50 degrees, it doesn't really get hot or the fan doesn't get loud when I'm watching movies, or hd movies,

its only loud, I mean really loud like 90 percent fan speed when I'm playing graphic intensive games,

not sure if I have a broken card or not but its annoying and I've resorted to playing most games on ps4 and xbox one,

thinkin of selling the computer and just buying a cheap laptop for internet usage and doing games on consoles if this keeps up,

45-50C on idle isn't somethings normal, 30C is.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thehig1

@kitty said:
@thehig1 said:

Nice. I actually thought about blue for mine :P But since I got a red and black mobo, decided to go with red, because blue wouldn't match :P

How is the noise with those?

I didn't have these AF's for the longest, so that might be why I had high gpu temps as well.

Might be. I only had to do the top card though. It was smaller that might be why to.

They are pretty loud compared to other fans, but the airlow from them is really good and the lights look nice, All mine are green think it goes with my case, will post a picture a little later.