Gothic 3 is Pure Fail

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TurtleMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 TurtleMilk
Member since 2005 • 4488 Posts

When I first got the game, I had a pretty old PC. I was able to play the game if I turned the settings down pretty far, and everything about the game (excluding the game's severe need of polishing) was awesome.

With this new PC I got, I'm able to play Bioshock, Mass Effect, Company of Heroes and World in Conflict with everything set to maximum with absolutely no performance issues. I can run Crysis with everything set to "High" fairly well.

Here's my dilemma:

Gothic 3, with everything set to the bare minimum, runs far slower than Crysis with everything set to the full maximum. When playing Crysis with everything maxed out, I get about 5 fps. When playing Gothic 3 with everything as low as possible, I get about 3 fps.

What the !@#$.

It's a real shame. Cause honestly, Gothic 3 could have been one of the greatest single-player RPGs ever created. But because the game was so unpolished when it was released, causing it to be extremely glitchy and broken, it became almost completely dismissed as crap.

So, because of this experience here, my opinion on Gothic 3 has ultimately changed. It is pure fail.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
It is very unpolished, has lots of bugs and does run slow.
TurtleMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TurtleMilk

It is very unpolished, has lots of bugs and does run slow.zeus_gb

I don't know why it's running THIS SLOW. I'm thinking that there has to be something somewhere that's causing the game to be... confused. Some sort of option somewhere.

I looked everywhere, though, and couldn't find anything.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

There is probably something wrong. Have you tried the font fix?

Here's the link...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic3/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-41567562&pid=920920

TurtleMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TurtleMilk

After doing this "Font Fix", my FPS in Gothic 3 during the big fight scene in the beginning went from ~3 to ~45. I have no idea how that accomplished my dilemma - but it did!

You, sir, are an awesome amazing person. Thank you very much for that suggestion.

My opinion about Gothic 3 has changed once again. Now I say it's awesome!

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

LOL you are one weird "customer" XD.

It has issues, it sucks, it runs great it the most awesome game XD. I like it even tho it is full of bugs and it stutters some times, but no way is it better than Gothic 2. :)

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Gothic 3 is an awesome RPG.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

After doing this "Font Fix", my FPS in Gothic 3 during the big fight scene in the beginning went from ~3 to ~45. I have no idea how that accomplished my dilemma - but it did!

You, sir, are an awesome amazing person. Thank you very much for that suggestion.

My opinion about Gothic 3 has changed once again. Now I say it's awesome!

TurtleMilk

You're welcome :)

TurtleMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TurtleMilk
I played through most of the first Gothic game. I didn't play much of Gothic 2 at all. Sorta wish I did. Maybe I should order that pack on NewEgg. I think it costs like $20 - it gives you Gothic 1, Gothic 2, and some expansion for Gothic 2.
LeAcK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LeAcK
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I found Gothic 3 to be a great game once "fixed". Still has many bugs which can be very, very frustrating even when "fixed". I found a great forum that helped me out with a lot of issues I had and didn't even have to post once. Most of my problems were already answered in a sticky. Also patching the game helps with performance and stuttering problems.

Jowood Forum - http://forum.jowood.de/forumdisplay.php?f=254

Latest Patch - http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151286

There is also a technical support sectionon the forum that has some .ini tweaks that help out with stuttering and can also be used to increase the graphical abilities slightly. Such as increasing view distance on grass, trees, wildlife and making the bloom effect look better.

Check it out for a better Gothic 3 experience and more improvments!

danb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 danb0
Member since 2004 • 445 Posts

There is probably something wrong. Have you tried the font fix?

Here's the link...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/gothic3/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-41567562&pid=920920

Gooeykat

I found Gothic 3 to be a great game once "fixed". Still has many bugs which can be very, very frustrating even when "fixed". I found a great forum that helped me out with a lot of issues I had and didn't even have to post once. Most of my problems were already answered in a sticky. Also patching the game helps with performance and stuttering problems.

Jowood Forum - http://forum.jowood.de/forumdisplay.php?f=254

Latest Patch - http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=151286

There is also a technical support sectionon the forum that has some .ini tweaks that help out with stuttering and can also be used to increase the graphical abilities slightly. Such as increasing view distance on grass, trees, wildlife and making the bloom effect look better.

Check it out for a better Gothic 3 experience and more improvments!

LeAcK

Thanks for these tips guys. I played Gothic 2 and it's expansion a short time ago and loved it but I was scared to play Gothic 3 after hearing about the problems people have with it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

[QUOTE="zeus_gb"]It is very unpolished, has lots of bugs and does run slow.TurtleMilk

I don't know why it's running THIS SLOW. I'm thinking that there has to be something somewhere that's causing the game to be... confused. Some sort of option somewhere.

I looked everywhere, though, and couldn't find anything.

silly question but...did you patch it? There is like a 1GB patch iirc for the game that solves all performance problems and most of the glitches, including the infamous memory leak.

I still get attack from the occasional bird that manages to clip into the ground beneath me tho lol.

Still, its an awesome awesome game easily one of my favorite action RPGs.

HSRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HSRP
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts
i never had any performence issues but i agree it could have been much better, too many bugs and glitches
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
err....how do you not have performance issue when "there are too many bugs and glitches"? i don't understand.....
x_t0rqc-1xd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 x_t0rqc-1xd
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts
What are you talking about Gothic 3 a failure? Ur sick. That's your computer's problem not the game's.
hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Man, I haven't tried it yet, but Gothic 2 was awesome, I can't see how this game can fail. Gothic games always had technical issues but i don't think that will make a great game bad.
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
I tried gothic 3 2 times and both times were terrible and filled with bugs no thanks
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

I tried gothic 3 2 times and both times were terrible and filled with bugs no thanksjohan1986

me too.

Actually, I tried it five times and didnt like it. But three months later I gave it a sixth try and, as they say, the rest is history. Its now one of my favorite RPGs. Its definately an acquried taste, though.