Good, low spec modern strategy game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bedram793 (1741 posts) -
What is a good, low spec, and modern strategy game? By modern nothing older than WWII. If it's a WWII strategy game that is fine, but nothing like empires and Rome or whatever. Don't say Company of Heroes either, because that isn't low spec.
#2 Posted by zerosaber456 (1363 posts) -
depending on how you lookat it, there's full spectrum warrior. Act of War is kinda old so that may suit you
#3 Posted by DivergeUnify (15150 posts) -
Dawn of War+ expansions
#4 Posted by AlternatingCaps (1714 posts) -

CnC Generals+Zero Hour is low spec (just look at the infantry!) and pretty good, but isn't too active online (not hard at all to find a game though)

CnC3 is rather modern (more sci-fi actually), and pretty system friendly, not to mention lots of fun, especially if you have Kane's Wrath.

World in Conflict is high-spec, but is also able to run on lower-end computers, so I'd give the demo a shot (or srtest.com) to see if you can run it. If you can, it's a fantastic game.

#5 Posted by ag3ntz3rox0x (1534 posts) -
dawn of war for sure. my pc isnt made for gaming and i just found out it will run iit all on high so get them.
#6 Posted by ag3ntz3rox0x (1534 posts) -
get C&C the first decade, its got 12 greeeaattt games and there all very low spec.
#7 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
C&C Generals is two out of three - low spec and modern. I guess that's... pretty good.
#8 Posted by vash47 (2171 posts) -
Dawn of War.
#9 Posted by ag3ntz3rox0x (1534 posts) -

C&C Generals is two out of three - low spec and modern. I guess that's... pretty good.mfsa

why get that when you can get both genrals pus 10 more epic cc games for 10 bucks more

#10 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

[QUOTE="mfsa"]C&C Generals is two out of three - low spec and modern. I guess that's... pretty good.ag3ntz3rox0x

why get that when you can get both genrals pus 10 more epic cc games for 10 bucks more

Well, he said modern and I don't want to seem like a pedant but most of the C&C games are set in the future.

Perhaps he'd be okay with the Red Alert series, but alternate history is a far cry from modern, so I dunno.

I don't see any reasonable reasons to get Generals over TFD, but I don't really see any reasonable reason to get TFD to begin with. I'm not much of a C&C fan.

#11 Posted by gogators4life (4654 posts) -
Dawn of war + Darkcrusade
#12 Posted by bedram793 (1741 posts) -
Thanks for the comments.
#13 Posted by justfei (116 posts) -
rise of nations perhaps? its pretty good and immersive!
#14 Posted by bedram793 (1741 posts) -
Wait, which Dawn of War? The Warhammer one? If so that is like sci-fi crap.
#15 Posted by bedram793 (1741 posts) -
Rise of nations is like historic.
#16 Posted by nightwraith40k (475 posts) -

Well then set it on Modern age and up for the settings.

#17 Posted by bignice12 (2124 posts) -

Theatre of War

Combat Mission shock force(must have patche 1.08 or it will be very buggy).

These aren't well known games but theatre of war is a good WWII RTS if you want something slow paced and pretty accurate and realistic. Shock force with the patches is a pretty fun modern combat simulator, i'd only reccomend this one to fans of the strategy genre and are willing to try something different. As always try both demos.

#18 Posted by Trilvester (1857 posts) -
I'd say rise of nations thats an awesome game.
#19 Posted by ILostOnJeprody (338 posts) -
Definitely check out Act of War. Its modern, low-spec, and a very good game that was/is well received by critics and gamers alike.
#20 Posted by Serial-No_3404 (2876 posts) -
Rise of nations is like historic. bedram793
you can set it up so that your skirmishes are post WWII....its still one of the best rts games ive played
#21 Posted by 705H1R0 (373 posts) -

CoH has been one of my recent favorites, but it's set in WWII.

If you like turn-based strategy, Massive Assault is pretty fun. It's a lot like Advance Wars.

#22 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

World In Conflict, but that's more tactics than strategy.

Act Of War is awesome.

#23 Posted by KwasiAsiedu (188 posts) -
I would have a look at Empire Earth and Age of Empires series.
#24 Posted by IncipitOmega (594 posts) -

Definitely check out Act of War. Its modern, low-spec, and a very good game that was/is well received by critics and gamers alike. ILostOnJeprody

This,absolutely!

#25 Posted by biggest_loser (24159 posts) -
Red Alert 2.
#26 Posted by wheezal (3066 posts) -
Sins of a Solar Empire is surprisngly low spec considering how excellent it is.
#27 Posted by BLUE_mako (39 posts) -

If you want true strategy get a copy of Steel Panthers: World at War. It's probably the best turn based strategy game ever and best of all, it's now free. The game engine is several years old so it runs great on any system.

If you want RTS, get something like World in Conflict and turn the settings down to low. I run it on a P4 3.2GHz machine and it still looks great and it has nukes! C&C Generals is also very good if you want a base building style RTS, just make sure to get the Zero Hour expansion with it. You should be able to pick up any of those very cheap these days.

#28 Posted by bogaty (4750 posts) -
Harpoon 3
#29 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -

panzer general series is ww2... that's almost modern...

#30 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12211 posts) -
Act of War: Direct Action most definately.