GOG sale on Might and Magic and HoMM series - which to get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

The sale: http://www.gog.com/en/promo/might_magic_universe

I've never played the M&M games, but as I am heading off to college in a few weeks armed only with a midrange Lenovo laptop, I'd like a few older games to take with me.

I don't want to buy all the games. The older ones will likely never end up finished as they are much too dated, and Dosbox has difficulties for me.

I hear that HoMM3 is considered very good, but a lot of the others look fun as well, and the MM 6-pack, even if I don't play 1 or 2, is tempting.

What's a good entry point for a newbie?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Get 3 and 4...both of them artistically hold up pretty well so they still look pretty good. HoMM3 is most people's favorite but I think 4 is pretty good too...it's a bit different though but I think this is a good thing and is more reason to buy it as it won't be totally redundant.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

You picked two fantastic series of games to choose from. If i didn't already have it, i would definitely get Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition, which is one of my favorite games ever. The story is not a masterpiece, but it gets the job done. What trully shines is the gameplay, a mix of turn based strategy and role playing with chess like battles. It has the addictiveness of Civilization, you can play it for hours and hours on end.It also support local multiplayer, think about it. You and a couple of friends can play together on the same PC. Some will also recommend HoMM2: Gold Edition, i never played it but i'll assume it's a worthy game.

Might and Magic 6 - pack is literally a steal. 6 RPGs in one for 4 bucks? Including one of the best RPGs ever made - Might and Magic 6? Get it now.

SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts
HOMM 3. If it comes with the expansion that's just the cherry on top. HOMM 3 is a classic.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Definitely get HoMM 3 if you like TBS and haven't tried it yet. In addition to the points mentioned by Lucianu, it also has a robust mode community - with nice mods and lots of great user made maps. So there is a lot of replay value
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Might and Magic VI and VII are two of the best PC RPGs ever made.

There shouldn't even be a question as to whether or not to get them.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#8 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

HoMM 3 was awesome, one of my favourite childhood games. I would probably pick it up too.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

The Might and Magic 6 pack may net you over 300 hours of entertainment if you like old school RPGs.

I recommend all the Might and Magic/Heroes games. The only reason you might want to skip M&M 1 is because there is no in-game map. You need to use the hintbook for maps or draw your own on graph paper. Every other game seems to include all the basic features you would need.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#10 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Heroes Of Might and Magic 3 is the best no doubt about it