Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Alright, so I'm getting back into PC gaming, and I have a few games from GOG and a few games from steam. What do you folks see as the positives and negatives for each platform, and also what is your preference?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

GOG is better for older titles, Steam for everything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

A huge user of both, for better or worse.

GOG: Pros:

-GOG Works very hard to make older games Work for newer systems, they reach out and try to get often forgotten gems back in working condition.

- While I know GOG offers new games, it is the best source for ageless classics.

- Have a really great Money back guarantee.

- Some of the best support and quickest fixes for game I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

- Have very few flaws within the above.

- Have awesome sales

Negatives:

- fairly high Price of the older games, might put some off, unless in a sale.

- sometimes errors that seems unfixable appear in some games.

- That the old games are emulated they might require quite a bit more machine power then one would expect.

- hard to find a reason to buy newer games on GOG outside of supporting them, and make a statement reguarding DRM.

- Has some of the steam pros in thier game client beta program (which some dislike due to it also being a kind of DRM, althrough you get a copy in the client, and one outside it when you purchache a game, I think).

Steam: Pros:

- A very large source of a wide range of games (the largest infact).

- The ability for Automatic updates. Always having the games running the latest patches removes a headache.

- A huge community at your fingertips, always easy to find people to play with.

- Mostly headache less, not much need for support as I have rarely whitnessed anyone having problems with it.

- Freaking great sales if you live in the EU and likely elsewhere.

- A nice list of features and commands to tailor the games to your liking.

- Mod Friendly (for newer games).

Cons:

- Often attempts to Jack your account if you list the games you own.

- While I have rarely seen people have issues with steam, the horror stories of IF you do have an issue and need steam support, will make most people shudder in fear.

- Have grown so big that it is nearly unchallanged, making it a potential problem in the future.

- seems to be incredibly overwhelming to some.

- required for a long list of games.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@Samslayer: I buy physical if at all possible... if it's not then steam, I have not tried gog.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Only use Steam, like all my games in one place when possible.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Unless the game is cheaper on Steam, I always get the GOG version.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

neither... GreenManGaming.com

best deals by far, and majority of the time they just give a steam key.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

@goodkingmog: I will check them out too, thanks!

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Obviously prefer the DRM free nature of GOG. However as most know they don't carry most new games so the majority of my games are on Steam.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GoodKingMog

@Samslayer said:

@goodkingmog: I will check them out too, thanks!

GMG pretty much -always- has a 20-23% off coupon going on their site. if they dont at the time, just wait a week or two and there will be. also, if you buy a few games they will give you VIP membership for free, which will give you access to typically 6-8 games each month that are always just released, or preorders, for typically 25% off. like right now VIP members can preorder FF14 Heavensward collectors edition for 42 dollars instead of 60.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Steam, prefer all my games purchased in one location. And I like Steam Achievements. Also GOG is expensive compared to Steam. Even Witcher 3 is more expensive on GOG, expansion pass is $10 more than Steam, which doesn't make sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Gog needs more AAA games.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1578 Posts

I was able to download Dungeon Keeper for free elsewhere, but it doesn't have the map editor. Does anyone know if this dungeon keeper on GOG has map editor and if it will work on windows 7 64 bit. When i try to install it with a disc, it never installs because of it.

Is gog free to sign up by the way?

oh and does anyone know if star wars knights of the old republic on steam works on windows 7?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Steam.
Sure, they dont have every game out there, however having them all in one place is far easier.

I've bought a few games off D2D, GoG, etc. But if i want to redownload a game, i have to remember which website I bought it from, my username/password for that website etc.
Having a list of games on steam, makes it far easier if my HDD fails, or I decide to reformat.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

I choose a few different services and spread my games across them, no way am i putting every single digital game i own under one account.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#16 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

GOG >> Steam >>>>> Origin (or any other publisher store)

If I have the choice, I will buy a game on GOG - oftentimes even when I have the game on steam!

I will admit SteamPlay is a real plus for Steam - fewer games on GOG are available on multiple OSs.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Everyone always says they support GOG, but I suspect that this isn't really true. Steam's concurrent users is just too high for anything else to really take a hold.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts
@goodkingmog said:

Lol are you serious? Greenman Gaming is like the absolute worst place to buy games/Steam keys. GMG is insanely overpriced on everything. I always use g2a.

And keep in mind these g2a prices are not the cheapest price they have, they are the featured seller. The cheapest price for Mortal Kombat X is $16.

@Samslayer: So yeah, use g2a.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse

@digitm64 said:

Steam, prefer all my games purchased in one location. And I like Steam Achievements. Also GOG is expensive compared to Steam. Even Witcher 3 is more expensive on GOG, expansion pass is $10 more than Steam, which doesn't make sense.

Where do you see this? It's $25 on both Steam and GOG...

@saintsatan:

I'd rather not use a reseller and run the risk of my key being deactivated by the company. It's happened before, it's bound to happen again.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SaintSatan

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@digitm64 said:

@saintsatan:

I'd rather not use a reseller and run the risk of my key being deactivated by the company. It's happened before, it's bound to happen again.

Wow you're making quite a huge deal out of one very small isolated incident that was fixed very quickly. All games on g2a are guaranteed now. The same thing happened to Greenman Gaming as well. Not only that but GMG sold hundreds of keys that were already used. I've bought literally hundreds of games from g2a and never had a single problem. If you wanna get paranoid over some petty crap that happened once instead of saving hundreds of dollars then go for it.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toxic-Seahorse

@saintsatan said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@digitm64 said:

@saintsatan:

Wow you're making quite a huge deal out of one very small isolated incident that was fixed very quickly. All games on g2a are guaranteed now. The same thing happened to Greenman Gaming as well. Not only that but GMG sold hundreds of keys that were already used. I've bought literally hundreds of games from g2a and never had a single problem. If you wanna get paranoid over some petty crap that happened once instead of saving hundreds of dollars then go for it.

Since when is voicing a concern all of a sudden considered "paranoid"? And how am I making "quite a huge deal" about it? It was 2 sentences of my opinion. You seem to be attacking me for one small opinion I had about a website. I'm glad it's worked for you, but I just don't really trust key resellers. That's it. That's all there is to it. There's no need for the hostility.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SaintSatan

@Toxic-Seahorse: I'm hostile because I'm Satan today, sorry. One very minor incident to not use a website is really silly. Steam is a key reseller. You might as well not use Steam either. The Better Business Bureau rated them an F, the lowest possible grade a company can get. Valve has some of the worst customer support on earth and have had their fare share of problems. Missing games, launch failures, no quality control on early access games, allowing devs to lie for months before taking down their games (War Z), took them 4 months for a billion dollar company to fix DotA's servers, not allowing refunds like Origin, ect. G2A is safe and fine to use and saying anything else is misinformation. Do you think some of the top pro players and Twitch streamers would advertise for and be sponsored by g2a if it were some shady untrusted website? As long as you use g2a shield for $1 extra (which I never ever do because I've never had a single issue) then you have nothing to worry about because the games are GUARANTEED. So what's the problem?

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GoodKingMog
@saintsatan said:
@goodkingmog said:

Lol are you serious? Greenman Gaming is like the absolute worst place to buy games/Steam keys. GMG is insanely overpriced on everything. I always use g2a.

And keep in mind these g2a prices are not the cheapest price they have, they are the featured seller. The cheapest price for Mortal Kombat X is $16.

G2A is shady is a **** and has horrible business practices.

greenmangaming is -always- one of the cheapest places to get a game at or before release. i just bought the witcher 3 for 38 dollars a week ago. i dont think i have ever paid more than 44 dollars for a brand new game on their site. you have to use the coupon codes that they pretty much always have.

do not support G2A... that place is just a horrible cess pool. none of the money that you pay to that site actually goes to the developers, because those keys are acquired by any means necessary (yes, even non-legit means).

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

GoG is nice because of the 30-day return guarantee. Steam needs something like that. So I'll buy from GoG for old games. Otherwise I stick to Steam.

As for other services - Origin is nice because they have a 24-hour return Window (if not longer), but they rarely have good deals. GreenManGaming has given me literally nothing but problems (site glitches, advertised sales that don't actually exist, often can't access account for random reasons at random times due to server-side errors). G2A is probably the best for buying new games for cheap. They're fast and incredibly cheap. Got many Day 1 games from there for $30 or less.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

If a game is available on both then I will always go for the DRM free, GoG, version. Maybe I'm a relic but I kind of like the idea of owning the things I buy.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I use GoG only for the old games. For modern games, I use the native client the game publisher use. Less problematic that way.

For example, Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 are with Uplay. Crysis 3 and the Mass Effect games are with Origin. Games that aren't published by EA or Ubisoft are with Steam.

Works great for me because I keep the clients offline anyway. Not interested in what the clients show such as achievements.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I prefer GoG on principle (anti-DRM) and for great classics. But practically speaking Steam has more "going on". I'm looking forward to some of Steam's benefits coming to GoG via Galaxy.

I don't avoid Steam - I just prefer to go with GoG when it's fiscally responsible to do so, but go with Steam when it's the better (or only) option.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintSatan

@goodkingmog said:
@saintsatan said:
@goodkingmog said:

greenmangaming is -always- one of the cheapest places to get a game at or before release. i just bought the witcher 3 for 38 dollars a week ago. i dont think i have ever paid more than 44 dollars for a brand new game on their site. you have to use the coupon codes that they pretty much always have.

do not support G2A... that place is just a horrible cess pool. none of the money that you pay to that site actually goes to the developers, because those keys are acquired by any means necessary (yes, even non-legit means).

[citation needed]

First off g2a is not a single seller. Thousands of people sell on g2a.

How are each and every of the thousands of people that sell on g2a "shady"? Name some of the "shady" sellers.

What "horrible business" practices do these thousands of sellers have? Name some of the sellers with "horrible business practices".

What "non-legit" ways do these thousands of sellers get keys? Name some of the sellers that got keys in "non-legit" ways except for the one Far Cry 4 stolen key debacle.

Provide some proof that none of that money goes to developers.

Thanks.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GoodKingMog

@saintsatan said:
@goodkingmog said:
@saintsatan said:
@goodkingmog said:

[citation needed]

First off g2a is not a single seller. Thousands of people sell on g2a.

How are each and every of the thousands of people that sell on g2a "shady"? Name some of the "shady" sellers.

What "horrible business" practices do these thousands of sellers have? Name some of the sellers with "horrible business practices".

What "non-legit" ways do these thousands of sellers get keys? Name some of the sellers that got keys in "non-legit" ways except for the one Far Cry 4 stolen key debacle.

Provide some proof that none of that money goes to developers.

Thanks.

G2A is not an authorized reseller for -anyone-, which means absolutely none of the money from the keys sold on the site goes to developers. they are essentially just a broker.

a large number of the keys that are being sold on the site are acquired from promo codes and bundles, which are not considered "for resale". sure a private party can choose to sell those keys i guess, but none of the money from the sale goes to the developer. it is no different than selling the free game slip that came with your new graphics card on ebay.

want some proof?

bit.ly/1rVonzH

bit.ly/QR3jbU

bit.ly/Wyo7ay

bit.ly/WFEbrH

it isnt ONE key incident... it has happened a lot with G2A, and will continue to happen... because they are shady as all hell.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

I mainly use Steam. But I have bought some games off GOG.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SaintSatan

@goodkingmog: Okay so 3 or 4 incidents out of millions if not billions of sales and they all have a money back guarantee? Truly the worst. When you buy off Steam the devs don't get 100% of the money so don't buy from there either.

which are not considered "for resale"

If someone pays the price that something cost with their money that they earned then it's theirs.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GoodKingMog

@saintsatan said:

@goodkingmog: Okay so 3 or 4 incidents out of millions if not billions of sales and they all have a money back guarantee? Truly the worst. When you buy off Steam the devs don't get 100% of the money so don't buy from there either.

If someone pays the price that something cost with their money that they earned then it's theirs.

? when you buy off steam... the devs DO get 100% of their money. steam pays the publisher/devs the authorized reseller cost for the keys, or the "wholesale" cost. they then mark it up to 60 dollars and sell it. with G2A, zero dollars go to the publisher/developer, because the keys are not acquired from the developer or an authorized reseller.

and no... im sorry but that is not true, especially with software. it is very clear in TOS's, and enforced by law that you are simply purchasing a license to the software. you do not own the software, and you do not have the right to "do as you please" with the software. you are simply, essentially paying a one time fee for access. hence why steam, and pretty much any other digital platform, can cut off your access to the games that you have purchased, or cancel your key if it was obtained illegitimately or if you are breaking the rules. if you OWNED it, it would be illegal for them to take it from you like that.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

@goodkingmog said:
with G2A, zero dollars go to the publisher/developer, because the keys are not acquired from the developer or an authorized reseller.

The sellers on G2A, Kinguin, etc are doing is no different than what anyone can do with a VPN, Paypal, and browsing foreign websites for the lowest prices. Publishers and developers are seeing money, just drastically less than what they should be from those copies. If the game is part of a promo event they can also visit eBay since that doesn't short-end the pubs and devs. G2A is just a marketplace and there's nothing wrong with that. I've bought a good number of games from them this year and so have a couple of friends. Zero trouble on our end and the keys worked.

Anyway I enjoy GOG the most because of the ease of use but Steam has the best features. Origin and uPlay would be the same as Steam for me but they don't have mobile apps for chat.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I heard gog is making some type of overlay like Steam. Can only hope gog will take over and become as good as steam. I dislike steam, i've only bought 1 game from them in the last 5 years and avoid them when I can.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xantufrog  Moderator

@Yams1980 said:

I heard gog is making some type of overlay like Steam. Can only hope gog will take over and become as good as steam. I dislike steam, i've only bought 1 game from them in the last 5 years and avoid them when I can.

It's out now in Beta form. You should check it out - kind of limited at the moment, being in beta, but it works. They have a "suggestions box" thread on GoG.com so people can pitch features they want added. They are also entertaining user submission mods to Galaxy for inclusion.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

If GOG brought in achievements I might buy from them more. GOG is great for old games though. Most new games I buy are through Steam.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SaintSatan
@goodkingmog said:
@saintsatan said:

? when you buy off steam... the devs DO get 100% of their money. steam pays the publisher/devs the authorized reseller cost for the keys, or the "wholesale" cost. they then mark it up to 60 dollars and sell it. with G2A, zero dollars go to the publisher/developer, because the keys are not acquired from the developer or an authorized reseller.

and no... im sorry but that is not true, especially with software. it is very clear in TOS's, and enforced by law that you are simply purchasing a license to the software. you do not own the software, and you do not have the right to "do as you please" with the software. you are simply, essentially paying a one time fee for access. hence why steam, and pretty much any other digital platform, can cut off your access to the games that you have purchased, or cancel your key if it was obtained illegitimately or if you are breaking the rules. if you OWNED it, it would be illegal for them to take it from you like that.

with G2A, zero dollars go to the publisher/developer

You really have no idea what you're talking about. As the other guy said most of them are acquired by VPN/foreign accounts. Sure they're getting less money but it's very fair since most of them are charging unfair amounts of money for day 1 DLC.

enforced by law

I highly doubt FBI's cyber crime unit would waste even a second chasing down the hundreds of thousands of people selling games on g2a.

ANYWAYS BACK TO THE TOPIC

I don't see any reason to use anything else but Steam. Unless a game I really want isn't a Steam I won't use anything else. Steam has the largest library and best features. The only thing that's really awful about Steam is their customer service.

LordCrash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#38 LordCrash88
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

Steam for new games.

GOG only for old games that aren't available on Steam.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@saintsatan said:
The only thing that's really awful about Steam is their customer service.

Yeah, but isn't that a pretty big thing to suck at?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SaintSatan

@-wildflower- said:
@saintsatan said:
The only thing that's really awful about Steam is their customer service.

Yeah, but isn't that a pretty big thing to suck at?

For sure but I haven't really had that many problems with Steam in the 10 years I've been using it. I wish they would allow refunds like Origin does.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GoodKingMog

@saintsatan said:
@goodkingmog said:
@saintsatan said:

with G2A, zero dollars go to the publisher/developer

You really have no idea what you're talking about. As the other guy said most of them are acquired by VPN/foreign accounts. Sure they're getting less money but it's very fair since most of them are charging unfair amounts of money for day 1 DLC.

enforced by law

I highly doubt FBI's cyber crime unit would waste even a second chasing down the hundreds of thousands of people selling games on g2a.

ANYWAYS BACK TO THE TOPIC

I don't see any reason to use anything else but Steam. Unless a game I really want isn't a Steam I won't use anything else. Steam has the largest library and best features. The only thing that's really awful about Steam is their customer service.

you have NO IDEA where those keys come from.... NONE. there is no way for you to know. stop acting like you know something you dont.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42  Edited By jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

I buy absolutely EVERY game I can form GOG first. Second is GMG then lastly steam.

Games like witcher 3, pillars of eternity were absolutely GOG must. If I can avoid Steam and the game is fairly single player, I always choose GOG or even a developers DRM free site version. Also love GOGS 30 day guarantee. Perfect for older classics that may have problems are not meet expectations(hardware wise).

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SaintSatan

@goodkingmog: And I'm hostile? Yeah I do know where the keys come from and two different people just explained it to you and now you're upset because you were proven wrong. If you would like to hear it again the keys come from VPN and foreign bank accounts. Nearly every CD key site does it. Greennman Gaming has done it. Game Keys Now has done it. G2A has done it. CD Keys Now has done it. It's common knowledge for everyone but you. Witcher 3 is the same exact price on Game Keys Now and g2a because both sites got the keys using the same VPN methods. Anything you reply is trolling and idiocy at this point but you can feel free to entertain me if you'd like.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I always try to get all my games from Steam. If I'm not able to then Origin is next on my list and then GOG.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GoodKingMog

@saintsatan said:

@goodkingmog: And I'm hostile? Yeah I do know where the keys come from and two different people just explained it to you and now you're upset because you were proven wrong. If you would like to hear it again the keys come from VPN and foreign bank accounts. Nearly every CD key site does it. Greennman Gaming has done it. Game Keys Now has done it. G2A has done it. CD Keys Now has done it. It's common knowledge for everyone but you. Witcher 3 is the same exact price on Game Keys Now and g2a because both sites got the keys using the same VPN methods. Anything you reply is trolling and idiocy at this point but you can feel free to entertain me if you'd like.

again, you have no idea where the keys come from. stop acting like you have some inside knowledge of how they operate.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

never used Gog and I like keeping all my games together if possible so doubt I ever will. They do have some good classic games on there but I've still got disk copies of the ones that interest me.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@bulby_g said:

never used Gog and I like keeping all my games together if possible so doubt I ever will.

I'm not sure what this means?

1) you could have run all your GoG games through a client like Steam

2) GoG Galaxy, which is coming out now, does exactly this - it's a client for installing and launching and updating games all through one interface (just like Steam)

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#48  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I like em both, gog.com for older games (minus witcher 3) and steam for most newer ones. I must admit, I do like this early version of GOG.com Galaxy client. Needs more work but so far its going in a nice direction.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

im a bit of an old fashioned and paranoid kinda guy so i tend to use steam more as i can get credit locally. i dont have to use my debit card to buy stuff on steam. that also stops me from setting up one click buy on steam which would just bankrupt me :S.

if GOG had a similar thing then i would raid the place. i would also be inclined to shop around a bit more if more of them had a credit system set up like steam. i know security on dinternet is pretty good and all...but its more secure to avoid using it as much as possible :S.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

@osan0:

Why don't you use a paypal account? I use it to purchase everything on a small bank account that is not tied in anyway to my major funds (different bank from the majority of my fund). I set that account thru bank for a maximum of 75 dollars in one transaction before a security alert is sent. Its how I handle Greenman gaming, newegg, steam, and GOG. Its a double protection setup. Paypal secuirty and bank security and I know I am not messing with anything that could hurt me. Only downfall is amazon which does not have a easy paypall access.