Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter: Why the hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

I never really liked GRAW for the computer. I thought it a bit too difficult (IT'S MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T GO BERATING ME), and that the main character felt far too weak, and controlled badly.

You see, I like shooting stuff. I loved Modern Warfares 1 and 2, Halo 1 through 3, and stuff like Borderlands. I like that. But in GRAW, I barely every got an opportunity to shoot stuff, because as soon as an enemy saw me he'd pump my face full of lead and I'd be dead within 20 seconds out of getting out of cover. It's annoying.

Not to mention your main character is absolutely pitiful. He meanders about the massive city as if for all the world he's strolling through central park. At least jog slightly! I can maintain a steady jog for more than 5 minutes, why can't a commando saving the president do it?

Also, the main character is a bit weak compared to his teammates, even. Whenever there were enemies (whether it be 2 or 4), I'd just send out my team to kill them, and they'd just step out, and shoot maybe 3 concentrated bursts each and when I looked at the results, the fight was done, with my teammates still at full health.

I DON'T GET IT! What's so great about it? When I can't melee, can't jog and shoot at the same time, and can't even step out of cover without the hyperaware AI getting a lock on me and killing me in three seconds, what is there to like in the shooter?

I suppose I'm just not the planning type. I prefer to try and charge in and kill everything, and take cover when necessary. I tried being cautious, but as soon as I'd lean, I'd get shot. I just don't understand how to enjoy the game when I'm so limited.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Well mostly the hype is for the shake of being hardcore and all. I reccomend the console versions that are completly diffirent games. They got diffirent levels and diffirent dialogues and gameplay. On the consoles its a third person shooter and plays like conflict desert storm. You can switch characters and such.

The pc version however was made by another company that also made terminator salvation, it does not exist anymore. To be honest in the first graw when the enemy sees you and he starts firing. But if you take a good look at the satelite view and spot the targets first you can move slowly without attracting attention and shoot the enemy and kill them with only 2 shots. There are many things that i dont get though, like say: you are in a city but the path is actually linear if you attempt to follow a diffirent road you will find a dead end or get out of the mission limits. So no flanking to be done here. Also why your teammaters cant follow you adn they got to stay a few miles back? Seriously, when i get into trouble they are way to far to be of any assitance. Another thing: i can see my teammate carring a rocketlauncher yet i cant somewhow order him to fire it. Or at some levels that i keep moving and BOOM!!!! What the hell just happened? Oh nothing its just that there is someone on the top of that tall building with a grenade launcher turret, mortaring the crap out of me and there is no alternative way to get past him and my vision is blocked by trees when i look up so i cant hit it. So i have to poinpoint with my crosshair through the tree leafs and order my sniper to kill him. Good lack that happening by the way. Or at some other point i got out of a tunnel with 2 tanks and two apache helicopters jump out and i have to take them out alone with normal firearms. So here i am unloading my weapons till they start smoking showing that they do actually taking damage, let alone they fire missiles at me. Plus you cant order your teammaters or tanks to shoot them and the only weapons that will do something against them are the assault rilfes.

So in conclusion the game is halfinished and the developers did not bother to play through the game and see how playable they are. They just made it and threw it out just like that. Many of the mechanics are incomplete. The pc version does not even have the thermal vision that appears in the trailer/intro of the game.

I will reccomend to play the console version instead or wait for future soldier which will be made by ubisoft. Sure it will be a bit dumbed down but atleast it will be playable

Some people say that the game is a hardcore reallistic tactical game and it requires patience. While i agree at some extent, some things like the ones i maintioned above point out that either the developers could not figure out wherver they want to make the game a hardcore tactical shooter that you give orders or wherever they want to make the game as a game that you have to resolve every situation indivudially which is not what tactical games that you give orders are known for. Instead you order your squad to do it but not in GRAW, you gonna have to figure out what the hell the game wants you to do at each point or keep on dying. No wonder no one has ever made a video walkthrough about it in youtube.

Anyway graw 2 is less hardcore but i ll just wait for future soldier or play an old ghost recon game, still i highly reccomend the console versions, they are nothing like the pc version.

DasVolks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DasVolks
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts
I stopped paying attention to Ghost Recon after they killed the series with the first Advanced Warfighter. The originals were the best, without a doubt. Not holding my breath for the new Ghost Recon, but I'll check it out if there is a demo.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#4 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

For some reason, I didn't like the way GRAW controlled on the PC, so I played them on my Xbox 360. I'm really looking forward to future soldier (or whatever it's called). The game has just enough strategy and tactics to make me think a little, but not so much to cause me to bang my head against the desk in frustration.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
The original Ghost Recon games on PC were very hard, they wanted to keep that trend I guess. It's one of those games with high learning curve but higher rewards.
VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

I suppose I'm just not the planning type. I prefer to try and charge in and kill everything, and take cover when necessary. I tried being cautious, but as soon as I'd lean, I'd get shot. I just don't understand how to enjoy the game when I'm so limited.

gashoe13

This is your problem. GRAW PC is a much slower, more tactical, careful as you go game. Want crazy action, look for a different game. Plus play GRAW2 instead of GRAW1. GRAW1 had way too many annoying AI and control issues.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
if you found graw hard you will find the originals even harder, graw is easy compared to the old ones. to me it just does not seem you like tactical shooters.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dakan45

For some reason, I didn't like the way GRAW controlled on the PC, so I played them on my Xbox 360. I'm really looking forward to future soldier (or whatever it's called). The game has just enough strategy and tactics to make me think a little, but not so much to cause me to bang my head against the desk in frustration.

Gammit10
To be honest the problem was that often the soltution to the problems you encounter was not a tactical one that require thought and use the game mechanics but a weird unexpected one that made no sense, like say when you encounter those helicopters.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Ghost Recon on the PC had some of the best AI in any game. And to me felt the most authentic armed combat in any game. But after the originals and its expacs the game got dumbed down. So if you can get a working copy on your OS then play that instead it will blow your mind.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
The reason GRAW were so awesome was because the series were brutally and realistically difficult. This type of game is extremely rare these days compared to all the MW2 and BC2.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dakan45

Ghost Recon on the PC had some of the best AI in any game. And to me felt the most authentic armed combat in any game. But after the originals and its expacs the game got dumbed down. So if you can get a working copy on your OS then play that instead it will blow your mind.

Raxzor
Somewhere i found a link to download the first ghost recon for free. The link is set by ubisoft. Sadly when i dowloaded i figured out i cant play it because ubisoft said that i had to be in us for some reason. Ill see if i can find it again for us gamers.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Well mostly the hype is for the shake of being hardcore and all. I reccomend the console versions that are completly diffirent games. They got diffirent levels and diffirent dialogues and gameplay. On the consoles its a third person shooter and plays like conflict desert storm. You can switch characters and such.

The pc version however was made by another company that also made terminator salvation, it does not exist anymore. To be honest in the first graw when the enemy sees you and he starts firing. But if you take a good look at the satelite view and spot the targets first you can move slowly without attracting attention and shoot the enemy and kill them with only 2 shots. There are many things that i dont get though, like say: you are in a city but the path is actually linear if you attempt to follow a diffirent road you will find a dead end or get out of the mission limits. So no flanking to be done here. Also why your teammaters cant follow you adn they got to stay a few miles back? Seriously, when i get into trouble they are way to far to be of any assitance. Another thing: i can see my teammate carring a rocketlauncher yet i cant somewhow order him to fire it. Or at some levels that i keep moving and BOOM!!!! What the hell just happened? Oh nothing its just that there is someone on the top of that tall building with a grenade launcher turret, mortaring the crap out of me and there is no alternative way to get past him and my vision is blocked by trees when i look up so i cant hit it. So i have to poinpoint with my crosshair through the tree leafs and order my sniper to kill him. Good lack that happening by the way. Or at some other point i got out of a tunnel with 2 tanks and two apache helicopters jump out and i have to take them out alone with normal firearms. So here i am unloading my weapons till they start smoking showing that they do actually taking damage, let alone they fire missiles at me. Plus you cant order your teammaters or tanks to shoot them and the only weapons that will do something against them are the assault rilfes.

So in conclusion the game is halfinished and the developers did not bother to play through the game and see how playable they are. They just made it and threw it out just like that. Many of the mechanics are incomplete. The pc version does not even have the thermal vision that appears in the trailer/intro of the game.

I will reccomend to play the console version instead or wait for future soldier which will be made by ubisoft. Sure it will be a bit dumbed down but atleast it will be playable

Some people say that the game is a hardcore reallistic tactical game and it requires patience. While i agree at some extent, some things like the ones i maintioned above point out that either the developers could not figure out wherver they want to make the game a hardcore tactical shooter that you give orders or wherever they want to make the game as a game that you have to resolve every situation indivudially which is not what tactical games that you give orders are known for. Instead you order your squad to do it but not in GRAW, you gonna have to figure out what the hell the game wants you to do at each point or keep on dying. No wonder no one has ever made a video walkthrough about it in youtube.

Anyway graw 2 is less hardcore but i ll just wait for future soldier or play an old ghost recon game, still i highly reccomend the console versions, they are nothing like the pc version.

dakan45

I agree with some of what you say, but GRAW and GRAW2 on consoles is not JUST 3rd person. You have the option to make the view 3rd or 1st person.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dakan45

I agree with some of what you say, but GRAW and GRAW2 on consoles is not JUST 3rd person. You have the option to make the view 3rd or 1st person.kozzy1234
Well i do consider the conflict series to be mainly 3rd person, sure you can play in fps view but still its a third person game. Same goes for graw on x360 and ps3, the first person view does not even show your weapon. Wish the pc version had a third person view, that way i will be able to use the lean mode more effectively just like in the x360/ps3 version. I think the ps2/xbox versions are in fps view but they are kinda arcade with ammoboxes waiting for you.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
The reason GRAW were so awesome was because the series were brutally and realistically difficult. This type of game is extremely rare these days compared to all the MW2 and BC2.GhoX
ghost recon 1 realistic yes, GRAW not so much
DasVolks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DasVolks
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts
[QUOTE="Raxzor"]

dakan45
Somewhere i found a link to download the first ghost recon for free. The link is set by ubisoft. Sadly when i dowloaded i figured out i cant play it because ubisoft said that i had to be in us for some reason. Ill see if i can find it again for us gamers.

If you find it please let me know.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="Raxzor"]

DasVolks

If you find it please let me know.

Here by gamershell http://www.gamershell.com/download_20866.shtml If you are not in the us you wont be able to install it though.