General opinions of Lenovo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

I'm looking at getting a new laptop as my old Acer has finally died after 5 years of intensive use. I have no previous experience of Lenovos and I don't think anyone in my family has used them (we're a Toshiba/Siemens/Samsung family mostly). I have found a really good deal on a Lenovo laptop and I would like to know what people's experiences are like with Lenovo products and what people generally think of them.

Thanks.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
They are pretty good the quality is good and I like their keyboards..on my current asus laptop the keyboard is horrible...you tend to neglect that aspect but in the long run is very important. :) If I would buy a laptop it would be a lenovo laptop.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Thinkpads are pretty much golden standard in PC laptops. Ideapads are on lower-end, but even amonng them it's hard to find something bad and they make the best cheaper laptops.

As as one poster already said, nobody makes keyboards like Lenovo does.

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Comic_Capers

Well that's good to hear. How do they compare to Acers?

I'm really surprised that a Chinese company could produce an electronics company that actually makes good quality products, and until only a couple of years ago I had barely heard of them!

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I'm really surprised that a Chinese company could produce an electronics company that actually makes good quality products, and until only a couple of years ago I had barely heard of them!

Comic_Capers
Acer is low cost quality is not the best and there have been issues with cooling.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

There is talk that they are putting spying tools in their firmware.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4570780/lenovo-reportedly-banned-by-mi6-cia-over-chinese-hacking-fears

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Comic_Capers

There is talk that they are putting spying tools in their firmware.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4570780/lenovo-reportedly-banned-by-mi6-cia-over-chinese-hacking-fears

GummiRaccoon
Lol only in China!
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

I've had my Lenovo Ideapad for probably 3 years, and the only thing about it is that it's gotten a bit slow (as I'm sure it should). But everything else about it is pretty much fine.

Going along with what Silicel1 said - My laptop's keyboard is very nice. Not a single key has ever been sticky. It has nice feedback, and everything is pretty much spaced out well (not sure what else to mention).

Something I've noticed on a lot of their laptops (from what I've looked at) is that they usually only use the integrated video card, so they aren't usually "gaming" laptops, but I can play Civ V, with everything turned down of course, and it runs fine.

But this is really just my evaluation on my laptop.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I've heard more good things about lenovo than most laptop brands

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

I generally like my Z580, but the one complaint I have is the dubious sensitivity of the trackpad - a tap that clicks sometimes...well...at other times, won't.

Aside from that, you get a good set of features for the price compared to its competitors.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It's the brand I'd likely go for for my next Laptop(maybe).
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If there was a Lenovo with the gaming specs I wanted during the time I was looking for a replacement laptop, I would've bought that instead of my ASUS.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I had great luck with the Thinkpads of old, but our office also got a new round of them shortly after Lenovo started production back in 05 or 06 or whenever it was. Those Thinkpads were absolute garbage, poorly put together, creaks, wobbly hinges, and poorly fitting docks. The entire laptop would flex if you pushed down on the keyboard with one finger. I understand they've gotten better since then because all I see online is praise (for the most part) but I cannot help but have that entire experience sour me. I went through three of those Thinkpads in about half a year, which was much more frequent replacement than the Dell E1705 I personally owned - and that laptop had serious cooling problems.
Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Comic_Capers

Does anyone know how long the standard manufacturer's warranty is for notebooks? I just spent 20 mins on the Lenovo website trying to find it and all Icould find was a PDF of the warranty statement with a blank table that should have said which product types have what warranty periods. What a stupid website!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Does anyone know how long the standard manufacturer's warranty is for notebooks? I just spent 20 mins on the Lenovo website trying to find it and all Icould find was a PDF of the warranty statement with a blank table that should have said which product types have what warranty periods. What a stupid website!

Comic_Capers

1 year, typically. Lenovo's are great, but they aren't really known for great gaming machines. However, I'd say they are one of (if not the) top brand(s) in terms of build quality. I recently picked up a Thinkpad Helix and I love it.

-Byshop

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Comic_Capers

HP, an American company, has made some pretty crappy laptops. That's judging from the four HP laptops in the family. Never again. Judging by the country a company is from is a bad idea.

Arachnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arachnos
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
out of personal experience, Lenovo are a very nice brand. I've owned one of their laptops and it worked perfectly until I sold it when it got outdated.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts

Comic_Capers
they purchased ibm's pc business a few years back...