Gears Of War reap off!

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 f22rf
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts

Ok, so I've installed GOW and started playing today. What I found out is that this game isn't that good at all. I mean the story isn't that good- wtf it just starts with you being rescued from this prison cell or w/e, no prior movie, no info about what's going on, just suddenly there you are, with those creatures above you and then you're rescued by your friend, and 2 mins after it's bam! start shooting. No real story is presented afterwards also. With the graphics, well The Unreal 3 engine isn't at its best with this game in my opinion. And of course the gameplay, during the whole thing you're basicly taking cover and shooting from angles, same thing for the whole game, move on to a different cover and shoot from the angle- repetitive anyone? The controls are crapy as well (controling your character), and it doesn't matter how you or with what you play it, it's just the game itself.

I can't belive that game is so successful. When I saw it first I told myself that that's not a great game at all, you cover and shoot, that's it. But with all the hype and the fact that it got game of the year award I wanted to try it out myself. Seems I was right from the start. Only a console game can be considered that great, PC games have to be much more then that to be successful. Your thoughts?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
mfsa agrees with you, too bad he was banned :cry:
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Gears of War is definitely a snoozefest. Just another steaming pile of overrated ****.
bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
Well, the console game was fun. You are right, the story isn't very good, but I actually like the graphics in the console and yes you are right, gameplay gets repetitive after a while. It is a bit overrated, but it isn't a bad game at all. It's a good game.
Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts
Im enjoying Gears of War so far.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Ya it really sucks to get REAPED OFF! LOL

Anyways, I plated it and beat it on my 360 and it was a pretty good game.

Surprised the msfa actaully got banned. He didn't seem that bad.

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts
well, before it was the new thing, being able to use cover, now its just a crpy launch(or around) title for the xbox ported to pc
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
mfsa agrees with you, too bad he was banned :cry:Lonelynight
wait wait what??? He got banned, can someone fill me in, he always seemed to have a good word to add into a discussion.
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts
^^ Yeah what happened to mfsa?
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
I didn't hate it. But I certainly didn't know what all the hype was about. I also dislike the controls, especially how you would automatically stick to walls/barriers if you are close enough when you don't want to. And I agree that the way the game just starts without any proper introduction was pathetic. It seems the production team got lazy.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

mfsa agrees with you, too bad he was banned :cry:Lonelynight

He is banned??!? Blasphemy!

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

I mean the story isn't that good- wtf it just starts with you being rescued from this prison cell or w/e, no prior movie, no info about what's going on, just suddenly there you are, with those creatures above you and then you're rescued by your friend, and 2 mins after it's bam! start shooting. No real story is presented afterwards also. And of course the gameplay, during the whole thing you're basicly taking cover and shooting from angles, same thing for the whole game, move on to a different cover and shoot from the angle- repetitive anyone?
I can't belive that game is so successful. When I saw it first I told myself that that's not a great game at all, you cover and shoot, that's it. But with all the hype and the fact that it got game of the year award I wanted to try it out myself. Seems I was right from the start. Only a console game can be considered that great, PC games have to be much more then that to be successful. Your thoughts?

f22rf

Hmm...all FPSs are like that and nobody complains (no story, repetative)

I liked Gears of War , what I didn't like is that there's no previos story in the game, I read it at wikipedia

The story is better than most FPSs (HL series, Crysis, FEAR series etc.)

f22rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 f22rf
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts

This thread is now about : Why the f**k did mfsa get banned!?greatmax1

Yes please also refer to the topic

[QUOTE="f22rf"]

I mean the story isn't that good- wtf it just starts with you being rescued from this prison cell or w/e, no prior movie, no info about what's going on, just suddenly there you are, with those creatures above you and then you're rescued by your friend, and 2 mins after it's bam! start shooting. No real story is presented afterwards also. And of course the gameplay, during the whole thing you're basicly taking cover and shooting from angles, same thing for the whole game, move on to a different cover and shoot from the angle- repetitive anyone?

Darth_Kane

Hmm...all FPSs are like that and nobody complains (no story, repetative)

I liked Gears of War , what I didn't like is that there's no previos story in the game, I read it at wikipedia

The story is better than most FPSs (HL series, Crysis, FEAR series etc.)

OMG! it's not even close to any of those games, and FPSs have great storys (not all of course)

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
No seriously why did msfa get banned? Who cares about Gears?
Obkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Obkey
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
No seriously why did msfa get banned? Who cares about Gears?solid_mario
yea might as well change the topic title.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 achilles614
[QUOTE="solid_mario"]No seriously why did msfa get banned? Who cares about Gears?Obkey
yea might as well change the topic title.

lol hell the topic could be about poptarts for all I care. WHY doesn't anyone know :cry:
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

i love games with good cover system. i don't see how a cover system is any more repetitive than regular shooters that don't implement a cover system. either way, you're pointing at someone or something and clicking the mouse button. moving around while doing so instead of ducking and taking cover does not make the game any less repetitive. whether or not you enjoy the cover system is another story, but a cover system is no less repetitive than moving around out in the open and shooting.

and the story? i mean, it's an fps; get over it. i can't think of many fps that have good stories. and i find it refreshing that the game starts you off shooting right away. it's what fps, like doom and quake, used to do. it's a shooter; let's get to the good part already, unless it actually has a good story to tell, but most shooters simply don't have anything worth telling, so why waste our time?

and as for the graphics, i think they're absolutely gorgeous. i haven't seen a game that's better looking than gears, other than crysis.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodLovesDead

i love games with good cover system. i don't see how a cover system is any more repetitive than regular shooters that don't implement a cover system. either way, you're pointing at someone or something and clicking the mouse button. moving around while doing so instead of ducking and taking cover does not make the game any less repetitive. whether or not you enjoy the cover system is another story, but a cover system is no less repetitive than moving around out in the open and shooting.

fireandcloud

A cover system is boring because there isn't risk. You can't die when you're taking cover. You just pop out and shoot when convenient. It's not fun at all.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

GodLovesDead

A cover system is boring because there isn't risk. You can't die when you're taking cover. You just pop out and shoot when convenient. It's not fun at all.

you can't die if you're moving around either, as long as you do it right (at least not against enemy a.i.). and come on, let's get real: have you never died while playing gears of war? or cod4? or vegas? and i never said it can't be boring; for some, it may very well be boring. but the op was saying that it's repetitive, which isn't any less true for shooters in which you constantly move around while shooting (like doom or quake).

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 achilles614
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

fireandcloud

you can't die if you're moving around either, as long as you do it right (at least not against enemy a.i.). and come on, let's get real: have you never died while playing gears of war? or cod4? or vegas? and i never said it can't be boring; for some, it may very well be boring. but the op was saying that it's repetitive, which isn't any less true for shooters in which you constantly move around while shooting (like doom or quake).

as long as it's fun I don't care, which gears was...on the 360
pseudodog07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pseudodog07
Member since 2008 • 1106 Posts
Try Rogue Trooper. The gameplay and story are better.
-keola-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -keola-
Member since 2003 • 701 Posts

I agree with the TC, without co-op the game just seems shallow and uninteresting. There is some fun to be had with a friend in co-op but it seems developers are using that as an excuse for a lack of any real innovation, Epic has lost thier touch.

I'm also interested to see why mfsa was banned, must have been something from system wars is my guess.

Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rottenberry
Member since 2004 • 4908 Posts

I think we all want to know why mfsa was banned..

MasterYevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MasterYevon
Member since 2003 • 6703 Posts

I haven't been in much contact with gaming for the past 4 months due to school, but as far as i can remember (the 4 months prior to that), GoW looked absolutely fantastic. Everything was smooth, vivid, shiny... looked absolutely gorgeous. So I have no clue why you're bashing graphics :S I also personally enjoyed the gameplay. Repetitve, sure, but still fun, at least for me - mostly thanks to the immersive atmosphere.

The only problems i had with it was the lack of stor, like the OP said, and the ridiculously long installation time. Other than that, i loved GoW.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RK-Mara

Rottenberry

Please share it with me, oh enlightened one.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="Rottenberry"]

RK-Mara

i'd like to know as well. he can come off as a bit brash (and he suggested once that someone should kill his parents, which i knew he'd get in trouble for), but a ban seems very extreme.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

GodLovesDead

I suggest you put more time into Gears because your still vurneable behind cover in a distance fight with another player. I seen plenty of new players feel comfortable at a distance with me behind cover to then notice their just been headshotted or active reloaded at the shoulders by my sniper. To the TC I also recommend finishing the game before ranting without a clue about the story.

For the record Mfsa was banned for waisting bandwidth.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

My God, mfsa was banned? Impossible! He was the best user that frequented this forum!

For the record Mfsa was banned for waisting bandwidth.OoSuperMarioO

Is that a joke, or are you serious?

Oh, and uh, yeah, Gears of War, reap off and stuff! Fight the power!

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
[QUOTE="RK-Mara"][QUOTE="Rottenberry"]

fireandcloud

i'd like to know as well. he can come off as a bit brash (and he suggested once that someone should kill his parents, which i knew he'd get in trouble for), but a ban seems very extreme.

Ohhhh, you know, that was probably it... A ban definitely would be extreme, but you know how our mods are...

*Sigh* You know, if it weren't for some of the rest of you guys on here, I'd just up and leave Gamespot for good over this. Seriously.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OoSuperMarioO

My God, mfsa was banned? Impossible! He was the best user that frequented this forum!

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]For the record Mfsa was banned for waisting bandwidth.JP_Russell

Is that a joke, or are you serious?

Terrible joke but I recommend users to be very careful about what you do on the PC board lately. Believe there's a new moderator taking his job aggressively. A new sheriff in town.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Ok, so I've installed GOW and started playing today. What I found out is that this game isn't that good at all. I mean the story isn't that good- wtf it just starts with you being rescued from this prison cell or w/e, no prior movie, no info about what's going on, just suddenly there you are, with those creatures above you and then you're rescued by your friend, and 2 mins after it's bam! start shooting. No real story is presented afterwards also. With the graphics, well The Unreal 3 engine isn't at its best with this game in my opinion. And of course the gameplay, during the whole thing you're basicly taking cover and shooting from angles, same thing for the whole game, move on to a different cover and shoot from the angle- repetitive anyone? The controls are crapy as well (controling your character), and it doesn't matter how you or with what you play it, it's just the game itself.

f22rf

Eeet's a reap off! Eeet's so bad I'll KEEL YOOOO!!!!!

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OoSuperMarioO
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="RK-Mara"][QUOTE="Rottenberry"]

JP_Russell

Ohhhh, you know, that was probably it... A ban definitely would be extreme, but you know how our mods are...

*Sigh* You know, if it weren't for some of the rest of you guys on here, I'd just up and leave Gamespot for good over this. Seriously.

I blame Biggest Loser for keeping me on these boards. Suprise I havn't been banned yet. :(
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fireandcloud

JP_Russell

funny, i was thinking the exact same thing... except i might actually leave for good after this 'what happened to mfsa' thing blows over. i can only take answering questions like 'what's your favorite game' and 'what's your favorite genre' for so long.

I blame Biggest Loser for keeping me on these boards.

OoSuperMarioO

wow, high praise for bl. as amusing as he can be at times, i'm really only here to discuss games, and i don't think he's played enough for me to entirely respect his opinions on this matter.

Land-0-Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Land-0-Funk
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts
Wanted to get the PC version, but with all the negative comments about it I decided to pass. The console game was good with the co-op play though. Havn't played it since getting stuck on the train level or tried it solo.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OoSuperMarioO
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

fireandcloud

funny, i was thinking the exact same thing... except i might actually leave for good after this 'what happened to mfsa' thing blows over. i can only take answering questions like 'what's your favorite game' and 'what's your favorite genre' for so long.

I blame Biggest Loser for keeping me on these boards.

OoSuperMarioO

wow, high praise for bl. as amusing as he can be at times, i'm really only here to discuss games, and i don't think he's played enough for me to entirely respect his opinions on this matter.

Well BL makes great threads but it's not only that. Were also good buds, he motivates me to come back on these boards to post. I despise reading the same threads over and over again.

Edit: Yea this is a forum so this is expected but too much good and not enough evil. It's a bummer Mfsa was banned but he's really not missing much to be quite honest. He should really just come on Steam and support the intelligence for World Domination.

Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

I enjoyed Gears of War the same way I enjoyed Doom.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fireandcloud

Well BL makes great threads but it's not only that. Were also good buds, he motivates me to come back on these boards to post. I despise reading the same threads over and over again.

Edit: Yea this is a forum so this is expected but too much good and not enough evil. It's a bummer Mfsa was banned but he's really not missing much to be quite honest. He should really just come on Steam and support the intelligence for World Domination.

OoSuperMarioO

sure, mfsa isn't missing much, cuz there aren't many intelligent discussions going on here at the forums, but he was one of the very few people that added anything beyond the din here, so there's really very little incentive for someone like me to come back with him gone.

and yes, bl does post some interesting threads, but i'm not sure i'd call them great, at least for what i'm looking for. yeah, it's fun to discuss marky mark and how the new max payne movie will be and see him posting about his upcoming marriage to alyx, but none of his threads seem to ever really discuss games (except when he writes about bioshock). anyway, just my closing thoughts...

gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gogators4life
Member since 2006 • 4654 Posts
I remember MFSA saying that he would "sell his mother into slavery", but I am sure he was joking. :)
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

i also didn't enjoyed GeoW, lame storyline and pretty repitive gameplay mechanics, just like doom 3 and fear

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="Lonelynight"]mfsa agrees with you, too bad he was banned :cry:achilles614
wait wait what??? He got banned, can someone fill me in, he always seemed to have a good word to add into a discussion.

i think mfsa's jokes got into trouble. few days earlier he joked something woman and pe***s and mot probably this was what got him banned
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RK-Mara
I enjoyed Gears of War the same way as I enjoyed Crysis. Fantastic gameplay and graphics but bad story. Gears of War is too macho for me.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts

Please knock off the why did he get banned stuff and stick to the topic, thank you :)

And no I don't know why he was banned...

Kuyt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Kuyt19
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts

f22rf

Repetitive movements? So in your opinion, after doing cover-shots at enemies, Fenix should suddenly climb walls, do somersaults, dance like those guys from the Step Up movies or better yet fly like Superman? What the hell do you mean repetitive? Aren't all games using the same moves over and over?

Gamerkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 Gamerkat
Member since 2008 • 1693 Posts
I would have to disagree, after completing the Xbox 360 version and playing online for a few months, I still had an amazing time. Then the PC version came out, and it was very good too. I like the cover system, it feels really smooth (most of the time), and the shooting is really good for a 3rd person shooter. Too bad bugs drove away a bigger PC crowd.
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

It was better then Assassins Crude....now that was a repetirtous game..!!

They say hell is repetetion...

...thats what it felt like to play AC.

GoW was mindless fun carnage...

AC was just mindless...

Oh ...and Hellgate:London blew....( That was a port..right ? )

Console players can keep thier games....bah.!!!!

...gimme STALKER or something,,,,some game where you actually " Have" to do something to play the game....

But No...!!! PC Gamers are so happy to run around AC picking up little flags....which serve no purpose except to prolong the agony of that mindless drivel...( I did like the jumping and fighting....it's just that it should have been an 8 to 10 hour game..not 20 ! )

But I could have lived without GoW coming to PC...fer sure...!!!

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

OoSuperMarioO

I suggest you put more time into Gears because your still vurneable behind cover in a distance fight with another player. I seen plenty of new players feel comfortable at a distance with me behind cover to then notice their just been headshotted or active reloaded at the shoulders by my sniper. To the TC I also recommend finishing the game before ranting without a clue about the story.

For the record Mfsa was banned for waisting bandwidth.

I'm talking about singleplayer. The multiplayer was incredibly boring - only probably put an hour into it.