Gears of War or Orange Box?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

turgidbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 turgidbelly
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts
I'm a poor college student who has limited funds. I just upgraded to a 8800GTS 640, so now I have to choose between these two games. I'm already getting Crysis, so I can't afford to buy 3 games next month. What would you recommend?
Avatar image for Legend_O_Dragon
Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Legend_O_Dragon
Member since 2004 • 7029 Posts
Orange Box. By far a better choice. Gears was only mediocre, didnt deserve GOTY imo.
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
Gears of War. More gameplay, nicer graphics, just as good gameplay, extra content from 360, extra MP levels. Nothing wrong with ORange Box, infact I loved it, just Gears was awesome IMO. Portals is top3 puzzle games of all time for me
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

Gears of War. More gameplay, nicer graphics, just as good gameplay, extra content from 360, extra MP levels. Nothing wrong with ORange Box, infact I loved it, just Gears was awesome IMO. Portals is top3 puzzle games of all time for me9mmSpliff

How the hell does Gears have more gameplay than the Orange Box?

9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts

[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]Gears of War. More gameplay, nicer graphics, just as good gameplay, extra content from 360, extra MP levels. Nothing wrong with ORange Box, infact I loved it, just Gears was awesome IMO. Portals is top3 puzzle games of all time for meAlaris83

How the hell does Gears have more gameplay than the Orange Box?

I was talking Episode 2. Thats what I meant, not the whole HL2 series. My bad. I forget that Valve included all the HL2, which I wish they would have just releaed a Episode 2 in a box separately. Its almost been 4yrs since HL2, I mean come on, just give me the game.

jollyriot2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jollyriot2k1
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

Silly question on a PC forum :P Gears is a 10ish hour single player stint with no multiplayer worth playing (on this platform there's just way better). I'm highly sceptic how well the game mechanic will work on the PC. The duck+shoot made rainbow six vegas incredibly easy as you could line up headshots way too easily. Being able to see where your character cannot is a bit much for mouse users. All they'll be able to do for it is make enemies tougher really.

Orange box is a whole lot of things ;)

Still buying gears mind you.

solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts
Orange Box definately. 5 games (6 if you include Extreme Peggle) for the same price as Gears. Portal is one of the best puzzle games of all time, HL2 is awesome and the episodes are almost as good. Gears is good but not that good.
stevendiep_100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 stevendiep_100
Member since 2004 • 2193 Posts

how the hell does GoW have more gameplay than the orange box?

Lets see, you have 3 and 2 1/2 games. Firstyou have Half Life 2, episode 1 and episode 2, the single player part of the orange box. then you have team fortress 2, the multiplayer part of the box. Last is portal, the puzzle part of the orange box. HL2's single player experience, without episode 1 and 2, is better than GoWs singleplayer. TF2's multiplayer is much better than GoWs, and well, portal is a good game. Don't get me wrong, Gears of War is a good game, but the orange box is much better.

confusion45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 confusion45
Member since 2002 • 54 Posts
easy... orange box. simply for portal.
sheeda_blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sheeda_blade
Member since 2007 • 152 Posts
Buy Orange Box because its out there now and its available and just for the sheer amount of content it comes with; its a deal. You could always play Gear of War at a friends who has an XBOX 360 like I did cause lets be honest an XBOX owner with out Halo 3 or Gear of War is a nut job. :D
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
Both
maxthebuilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 maxthebuilder
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts
Orange box definately. Don't forget all the half life 2 mods out there.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
No competition here. Orange Box.
harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
orange box defiantely! the games are great and I don't even play TF2 cus I suck at FPS MP. Episode 2 is great although haven't even finished the last part. portal is astounding, seriously get it.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

The Orange Box, way more value for your money especially if you haven't played HL2 or Ep1 yet. Thats at least 30+ hours of singleplayer right there (and if you get MINERVA, which has some very impressive production values add another 5 hours to that). Plus TF2 which is the best multiplayer shooter in years and Portal, which is just plain fun no matter how you cut it.

So yeah, The Orange Box no question.

NNY42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NNY42
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

Orange box definately. Don't forget all the half life 2 mods out there.maxthebuilder

Yes, there are definitely some kick a$$ mods out there....... for free:D

The Orange Box is the obvious choice...

sgtbambam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sgtbambam
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I have GOW on 360 and loved it.

But if your on a budjet you can't beat the Orange Box, it's a bargin.

THERSOfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 THERSOfi
Member since 2005 • 1214 Posts
Orange Box.
Liquid_Snake92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Liquid_Snake92
Member since 2005 • 3380 Posts
that's is an EXTREMELY hard pick, because both are amazing and totally awesome. however, you have to decide upon your own likes. At the moment, do you long for an intense shooter with amazing weapons, breathtaking environments, some epic boss fights and teamwork based multiplayer? then pick Gears of War. If you are a fan of Half Life's 1 or 2, and want to continue the saga, as well as dip your hand in some puzzle goodness and a funny/cartoony MP experience, go for orange box. that's all i can say. we can't pick for you, because we would be forcing our will upon you, and that is wrong.
humbugdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 humbugdude
Member since 2004 • 278 Posts
Orange Box. By far a better choice. Gears was only mediocre, didnt deserve GOTY imo. Legend_O_Dragon
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX

I THINK YOU SHOULD BUY THE ORANGE BOX

purple_MAN1832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 purple_MAN1832
Member since 2004 • 2125 Posts
Orange box, more games for the price and gears won't last you as long.
Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts
Orange Box.8)
amyjones09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 amyjones09
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Im doing gears, and am probably never buying orange box and i really dont have a reason for it, i just was never interested with the whole half life thing like everyone else is.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Orange Box by far. its easy on the eyes, has plenty of single player stuff and has some of the best multiplayer to date. 9 different classes with official and user-based maps. It will definately last you more than GeoW will.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX ORANGE BOX

I THINK YOU SHOULD BUY THE ORANGE BOX

mfsa

what he said, every gamer should own/try out orange box to see how real games are made, unlike hyped pieces of sh... whatever.

slim-pagey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 slim-pagey
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts
im getting Gears
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Orange Box. By far a better choice. Gears was only mediocre, didnt deserve GOTY imo. Legend_O_Dragon

Agreed. I'm sure by now most people have realized how weak the game really is.

ILostOnJeprody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ILostOnJeprody
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts
Also, if you are getting Orange box, and don't care about having an instant download, Amazon is selling it for $40 and free shipping.
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

I'd buy the Orange Box if you don't have the money to buy both at first but you'll defo have to pickup Gears some day.

Cheesehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cheesehunter
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Uhh, continuing off of here, I also too have a question. I already have Half-Life 2, and missed out on episode 1 already. I don't want to get it again, and I also heard Gears is pretty fun. Then again, if I get my wiimote and buy a bluetooth dongle...

Umm, anyways, I'm really into Gears atm, since I've played so many Half-Life 2 mods that my mind might burst, if anyone has a second opinion like as if they know how Gears plays on the PC, please tell me.

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
orange box for sure although you wont see any major strain on that new card of yours
Simmy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Simmy2
Member since 2004 • 429 Posts

Orange Box.

Seriously.

filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts
orange box wtf. you get 5 games and portal/half-life 2 episode 2 is amazing, especially portal that game is jokes.
gamespotman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamespotman01
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

I'm a poor college student who has limited funds. I just upgraded to a 8800GTS 640, so now I have to choose between these two games. I'm already getting Crysis, so I can't afford to buy 3 games next month. What would you recommend? turgidbelly

HOLD IT!! A poor college student with a 8800GTS 640. If I can only stop laughing to writhe the rest of th.....

gamespotman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamespotman01
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

Dude! good topic. I personally am going to get Gears of war. I am going to wait and make sure its not just a console port though. I am in the same situation you are. I want to buy all the games during this gaming renaissance but will have to wait till a few hit the bargain bin. :D

gskristen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gskristen
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts
Orange Box
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

Orange Box. Awesome value....3 games in one package! Portal is innovative, TF2 is awesome, and Episode 2 is breathtaking.

Gears of War might break the 8 hour mark with the extra content, so even then it wont be a good value. Limited replayability, whereas ive played through episode 2 like three times already lol.

Pereza0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pereza0
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
If you care bout graphics and gamesplay get Gears n max it out, if you are CRAZY about gameplay get OB
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
orange box
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
Orange Box has a lot of content, but I was a bit disappointed with Team Fortress 2 for a multiplayer component. at least the community can shell out extra content for that. Portal is also pretty cool and if you're new to the Half Life 2 series then it'll be a blast. I can't say that I've ever played Gears of War but it looks very, very awesome. Though if I had a choice to even get Gears at all, i'd wait for a 360 first.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

I'll be getting Gears of War for the following reasons:

1. I already have Half Life 2.

2. I don't care about multiplayer games.

3. I'm waiting for all the Half Life 2 Episodes to come out so I can replay Half Life 2 and the Episodes one after the other.

So Thread Kreator, if those reasons don't apply to you then definitely get The Orange Box. It's a nice deal that'll last much longer than Gears of War if you're into multiplayer.

mpiliotis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mpiliotis
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

HOLD IT!! A poor college student with a 8800GTS 640. If I can only stop laughing to writhe the rest of th.....

gamespotman01

Lol I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he should return his 8800, get an 8600 or 8500 and use his money to buy both.

IMO - TF2 FTW, so go with the Orange Box.

teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 teirdome
Member since 2003 • 483 Posts

[QUOTE="turgidbelly"]I'm a poor college student who has limited funds. I just upgraded to a 8800GTS 640, so now I have to choose between these two games. I'm already getting Crysis, so I can't afford to buy 3 games next month. What would you recommend? gamespotman01

Exactly my thought...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts
[QUOTE="gamespotman01"]

[QUOTE="turgidbelly"]I'm a poor college student who has limited funds. I just upgraded to a 8800GTS 640, so now I have to choose between these two games. I'm already getting Crysis, so I can't afford to buy 3 games next month. What would you recommend? teirdome

Exactly my thought...

Im in the same boat. Got some money for my birthday, and added it with my tips from work and barely got my new card. First time I ever spent over 180 dollars for a vidcard.

And I still be poor. But hey, rather be poor and happy than unhappy and with 300 bucks in my account. Besides, I would have spent it on liquor anyway.

dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts
My sig pretty much says it for me. :)
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Stevokenevo
Member since 2007 • 106 Posts
I'm gonna get both as i havent played gears on the 360. Although i have already bought orange box so i think you know my answer.
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

Orange Box hands down !

Even though I'm buying gears cause I really looking forward to it, I just think you get more value from the orange box :D

Anyways, you really can't go wrong either way, their both really good games !