Gears co op on pc????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FreshPrinceUk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FreshPrinceUk
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts

Hey, do u guys know if there will be a splitscreen co op mode for single player?

i hope so, if it missing i will be very dissapointed, cozthe only thingbetter than playing gears one player is playing it wit family or friends

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I really don't think it will have splitscreen co-op on the PC.
It may have co-op via LAN or online however.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

I'm seriously hoping for co-op over LAN with Gears - burn Halo 2, burn :evil: - Rainbow Six Vegas is a great example. I haven't really looked for any info though.

Yeah, any co-op would be better than none though :D

BDL91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BDL91
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts

Its LAN coop on Pc And Split Screen on 360 and good news 360 players and pc players can play together

FreshPrinceUk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FreshPrinceUk

no splitscreen is a real downside ne one know why devs dont add splitscreen to pc games?

the last splitscreen game i played was NFS 3 hot persuit

games such as advancew warfighter, rainbow six vegas have split on 360 n not on pc

yup quite annoying

GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

Its LAN coop on Pc And Split Screen on 360 and good news 360 players and pc players can play together

BDL91

I'm not sure about that. This is Cliffy B's response on that issue from an interview with IGN on 27 July.

"IGN: Why doesn't Gears of War support cross-platform play?

Cliff Bleszinski: We felt that while this feature does add value, it just wasn't that desired nor worth the extra months of design and development time. We want "Gears of War" to be out this holiday on PC. The side bonus of all this is that players can accrue an extra pile of points to add to their Gamerscore on PC."

He did confirm that the game will support Games for Windows Live but still run in both XP and Vista...no need to uptgrade your OS just to play the game like you had to do with Shadowrun and Halo 2.

- Vr/GulliverJR.

GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GulliverJr

no splitscreen is a real downside ne one know why devs dont add splitscreen to pc games?

the last splitscreen game i played was NFS 3 hot persuit

games such as advancew warfighter, rainbow six vegas have split on 360 n not on pc

yup quite annoying

FreshPrinceUk

Because the interface paradigm is completely different. Most PC games try to support a keyboard HMI at a minimum, so that there is not an assumption that the person playing has a gamepad/wheel and pedals/joystick. In order to do this for splitscreen on a PC you have to map controls for two players to a single keyboard, limiting the ability (if not completely removing it) for individual players to customize their controls (a hallmark of PC gaming).

Also, most, and I say most because I know the numbers are being diluted more and more in the HD era, PC gamers are running on monitors that are a good deal smaller than available TV sets. Split-screen on a 19" monitor would be near useless.

In addition to all of this, the video cards and drivers would all have to support it properly, which is more difficult to get right when you are writing code for platforms that are not homogenous. It is a lot easier to code splitscreen for a console when you know every console of that title is going to run it the same way (ie my 360 will run it the same as the next guy's 360). But when you have no idea whether or not my PC will attempt to execute the code the same as the next guy's PC, then your development, regression testing, and troubleshooting process becomes severely more difficult.

- Vr/GulliverJR.

Posted from my Samsung Q1 UMPC - location: Car Dealership waiting on 30k mi. service.

LakesAreCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LakesAreCool
Member since 2006 • 206 Posts
I played splitscreen fine on a 19' monitor for gears, i have no clue what you're talking about there
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
No split screen on PC.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I dont really see it all that difficult, especially for a game like Gears of War, to detect multiple USb controllers and use that as each player's input.

Or even better, do what Supreme Commander does that can detect multiple monitors, and each monitor can be a person playing (or split two per monitor so up to 4 players can play in two monitors in a much larger viewing regeion that can be done on a console).

bmaisey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 bmaisey
Member since 2004 • 324 Posts

I dont really see it all that difficult, especially for a game like Gears of War, to detect multiple USb controllers and use that as each player's input.

Or even better, do what Supreme Commander does that can detect multiple monitors, and each monitor can be a person playing (or split two per monitor so up to 4 players can play in two monitors in a much larger viewing regeion that can be done on a console).

XaosII

Oh really? Youre a game programmer? If it were feasible, theyd probably do it. But its probably too difficult (see the long explanation post above) and it wouldnt be often used. 2x mouse/keyboard would be very hard, and would require lots of physical space, and how many people would have 2 pc controllers spare just for playing co-op games like this? Playing it via lan is fine, and preferable for most people.

FreshPrinceUk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FreshPrinceUk
lol i think i would buy two controllers
pecky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pecky1
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

bmaisey

Oh really? Youre a game programmer? If it were feasible, theyd probably do it. But its probably too difficult (see the long explanation post above) and it wouldnt be often used. 2x mouse/keyboard would be very hard, and would require lots of physical space, and how many people would have 2 pc controllers spare just for playing co-op games like this? Playing it via lan is fine, and preferable for most people.

Settlers 2 was split screen co-op :)

That was awhile ago... But a split screen fps on pc would be alittle more difficult.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

Hey, do u guys know if there will be a splitscreen co op mode for single player?

i hope so, if it missing i will be very dissapointed, cozthe only thingbetter than playing gears one player is playing it wit family or friends

FreshPrinceUk

it would be nice, but i think theyll stick to online co-op. Computers are usually at desks, and desks are built with one chair in mind, meaning a second person would problably be uncomfortable.

I do agree, Gears co-op is a blast. Online should be fun enough, just not as good asc o-op on the 360. Sitting with my friend drinking a case of Sierra Nevada and beating the game in a weekend was just too much fun. I think i gained like five pounds because we A. didnt move, B. drank a bunch of beer, and C. ate like four pizzas.

Cant wait til this coming friday, gonna do the same thing with Halo 3!

atomixxx_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 atomixxx_
Member since 2006 • 107 Posts
I've read somewhere that there will be no split screen. Lan/Internet co-op only.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
I hope it has a decent online coop, LAN or splitscreen wouldn't do me much good. But I still think they should add splitscreen option to PC games too, monitors are getting bigger and bigger and most gamers have at least one extra controller, so why not have a splitscreen.
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GulliverJr

I do not believe that it is a matter of it being too difficult. It is a matter of how much profit there is to be gained from the added cost of including the feature in title for the PC, which from my point of view is "not too much." I would offer that you might consider the lineage of PC gaming and how it has developed differently than console gaming.

People have been playing online multiplayer on PCs well before consoles implemented the feature, and I mean en masse, not the Sega Genesis' ability to connect via dial-up.

PC gaming still happens predominantly with a mouse and keyboard. For people who use the PC as a primary gaming platform, one of the preferences consistently cited is the feeling of an improved HMI via use of the keyboard and mouse over a gamepad. Again, the keyboard and mouse interface is primarily focused on its use by a single player.

I would offer that for most PC gamers, it is preferable to hop online and find buddies to play with than try and shoehorn someone in front of a single screen and use the same keyboard, or to play on a LAN in one spot, but still with people having their own displays and input devices. Here I am talking about people who use the PC as their primary gaming platform, not using it as an add-on.

Warning: this is really going to hack some people off so I am preparing you for controversy -

"At the end of the day, split-screen is a holdover from superceded technology that is still present because consumers have become accustomed to its inclusion in games for console platforms. It was created because consoles did not have the ability to connect via phone lines, and later the internet. For some time, they did not even have connections that would enable you to connect two systems locally, and even when they did, most people did not have two TVS to display to consoles on.

It is a compromise feature that is put in place to accomodate those who can not otherwise play via a LAN or online. I have difficutly imagining anyone who actually prefers split-screen to playing on their own display. I am impressed by the person who said they were not bothered by playing split-screen on a 19" display. I do not like playing split-screen on even my 53" TV. It's distracting, if you are playing versus, there's no real lock-out for the other person knowing where you are ("Oh, I am averting my eyes from your half of the screen"), adn it usually just looks like a mess as both pictures are rendered in a truncated aspect ratio . If I had my choice, I would certainly tell my buddy to stay at his house and talk to me over the headset rather than come over, if our primary intention was to play the game. If someone comes over to my place and wants to game, I certainly take setting them up on my LAN and playing on PCs with our own displays, keyboard and mice over playing split-screen on one of my consoles.

We use split-screen beceause it's there, or because we can not play multiplayer any other way, not because we actually prefer it."

OK, in that section I stepped out of my normal, amiable self. That was definitley the evil Gulliver. I am usually a pretty nice guy who tries to avoid confrontation and conflict, but I was searching for the reasons to explain to others why split-screen is not prevalent on the PC gaming platform. Oh well, enough with the apologies, go ahead and flame me like you know you want to.

- Vr/GulliverJR.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Ah, that's not evil, it's just an opinion :) I happen to completely agree with you though.

With online play so popular these days, and with so many people now having multiple computers in households (plus LAN parties are still popular) - online/LAN just makes more sense than limited/distracting split-screen.

I'm not at all against split-screen though, the more options available in a game, the better :) And as I mentioned before, some form of coop is better than none at all :D

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

I really don't think it will have splitscreen co-op on the PC.
It may have co-op via LAN or online however.
Doom_HellKnight

LOL...yeah. I don't think there is such a game that is split screen on the PC. That's console-land.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Agreed, no splitscreen