gamespot Modern Warfare 2 PC Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Review

Modern Warfare 2 boasts an exhilarating campaign, engaging cooperative play, and addictive multiplayer, but the high price and limited multiplayer features may tarnish its appeal.

8.5 score

The Good

• Intense, action-packed campaign
  • Engaging cooperative missions
  • Richer, deeper, more rewarding competitive multiplayer progression.

The Bad

• Costs more, has fewer multiplayer features than other PC shooters
  • Campaign is short
  • Plot is muddled and inelegant.

Last but not least, the competitive multiplayer that took the online shooter community by storm two years ago is back. Though the addictive action remains the same at its core, there are a host of new elements that make matches more accessible, more strategic, and more rewarding. Unfortunately, these improvements are marred by limited online flexibility that may leave the PC shooter community out in the cold.

If you compare Modern Warfare 2 on the PC to its console counterparts, the game is every bit as awesome and enjoyable. Yet when compared to other online shooters on the PC, the multiplayer component is decidedly limited. Players cannot set up dedicated servers to host their own custom-tuned matches, and the player count for each match has been capped at 18 as opposed to the possible 64-player matches of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Furthermore, there is no support for user-created content, so rather than enjoying free mods and community maps, PC users will have to pay for downloadable content. And the money issues don't stop there: Modern Warfare 2 costs $10 more than most full-price PC games. Paying more and getting less is abhorrent to consumers, and this deterrent, along with the online restrictions, make Modern Warfare 2 much less appealing from a multiplayer perspective

Link

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

Ah finally! Wasn't planning on getting this, but I am glad to know that GameSpot still reviews PC games. My faith has been affirmed.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I hope these reviewers send a message to IW. They should patch in dedicated servers...

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
Now that's a review I can respect. At least it's not a 9.5 from another site that begins with an I and ends with an N.....
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

I hope these reviewers send a message to IW. They should patch in dedicated servers...

JangoWuzHere

Ya wow an 8.5, im sure there freaking out and doing that as we speak :roll:

Like there gonna lose any money.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Literally, that was a strong message. But the score, 8.5? That doesn't exactly say "that'll teach 'em!" It's only .5 less than their glowing console scores. And since many people unfortunately only look at scores without reading the review, I doubt this is going to make any meaningful impact.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

warmaster670

LOL yeah someone is going to get fired!! The CEO's are in retreat already!!

Costs more? I paid exactly the same amount of money for this game as The Sims 3, Fallout 3 etc. It costs no more than any other PC Game from where I got it from - JB Hi Fi.

Avatar image for erunno_minyatur
erunno_minyatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 erunno_minyatur
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

it should be 8, but it gets the job done

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

warmaster670

The biggest game launch of all time scores less then another version. How do they screw that up?
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
I'm glad that they acknowledged the issues rather than just looking the other way. Based on what I've played on the XBox I'd probably rate it a little lower but it seem to be a very reasonable score for better or worse.
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
I think it should have been an 8.0 but the review won't matter anyways, IW won't patch it in.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Ah finally! Wasn't planning on getting this, but I am glad to know that GameSpot still reviews PC games. My faith has been affirmed.

The_Capitalist
:shock: Its just an 8.5!!! Anyway i believe its fine at the way it is.
musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts
Surprised gamespot gave it a lower score, but I am glad they did!
agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts

Has there been a time where people want a game on their system to get a significantly lower score?

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Surprised gamespot gave it a lower score, but I am glad they did!musclesforcier
Same here.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
While the review gave it a lower score, I wouldn't call it a good review or a review I "would respect". All it did was just listed down the stuff lacking in PC version (for which you don't really need to play the console version) and copied the rest from console review --- no mention (at least I couldn't find any) of how much problems were or not or if everything was smooth or not etc
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

The message this review really gives is: despite the disappointments for pc game purists, it still a "great" game. It must be more than great for such a disappointing game to still to be rated "great".

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#18 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I don't really agree with some of the points in the review, the care packages if you ask me bring nothing but excess spam to the battlefield in many of the modes removing a lot of the player versus player skill in particularly the open maps. Though this pretty much confirms that you can't compare scores for games on different PC and console platforms in order to proove one game is better. Having said all that I have only played a few hours of MP and barely touched the single player. I hope to get stuck into it this weekend.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Kind of impressed actually, it's nice they at least factored in PC-related expectations and concerns. The game should be judged amongst it's peers on the platform (which of course also includes MW and what it offered in comparison).

I'm sure it's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, which the score certainly reflects. I'd pick it up for the SP campaign, except the fact that it's $10 more (nice to see GS acknowledge this). The dollar amount is less of issue than perceived value when compared to it's peers which retail for less -- it will be a "bargain" purchase for me some time in the future.

Fearzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fearzone
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

After listening to the video for the PS3/Xbox version, I was a little surprised it only got a 9. The tone of the video suggested a 9.5. I'm guessing it was a 9 because the single player campaign was short.

After reading the PC review, an 8.5 sounded a little high. Multiplayer that, even when working as intended barely keeps up, leaves pretty much just the single player campaign, which has it's pluses (intense and action packed) and minuses ("Michael Bay Film" with murky underpinnings) and in any case is pretty short. For all this it is pricey to boot.

Between the lines, the PC review screams: "rental."

shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

I won't buy it, but only because of some of the things that Activision has said, especially the CEO. I still want it however, so maybe for Christmas...

musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts

I just wanted to login and post that I applaud this review. MW2 is a good game, but it's not god's gift to gaming. Especially on the PC. My respect for Gamespot went up a notch.

snooters
Agreed, this and the Dragon Age review.
MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

I just wanted to login and post that I applaud this review. MW2 is a good game, but it's not god's gift to gaming. Especially on the PC. My respect for Gamespot went up a notch.

snooters
Same here, not that they did all that much but at least they knocked it down a half-mark.
ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts

called that one.

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

good score

from an overall perspective the PC version is missions stuff that other PC FPS games had

but it's up to personal taste if you actualy care about it

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

I think it should have had at least 9.0... IMO

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
+5 Respect for Gamespot. Relationship (Neutral) I should stop playing Dragon Age, I keep doing that now :P
pishti_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pishti_13
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts
The game doesnt deserve higher than an 8.0
Forbs1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Forbs1990
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

i download game from steam , mp i so good . For me 9.5

fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fudgeblood
Member since 2008 • 3165 Posts

JangoWuzHere
They should also patch in a $10 discount, imo.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
I don't even think it deserves an 8.5 but rather 8.0. Seriously
eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts
the 9v9 cap is fine its absolutely mental as it is with all the predator missiles, helicopters and stuff happening.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

Atleast GS mentioned tat because of multiplayer the score decreased....

kryten222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kryten222
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

Here are my thoughts on MW2 (if anyone cares)

I am one of the people who signed the petition to get servers reinstated, we need more players in games, and we need options for those players who want longer games and would like to use mods. The majority of game types would benefit no end from having more players in games.

Personally however although I would prefer the return of servers I can live with matchmaking. The thing that annoys me the most about MW2 is Search and Destroy. Ive been playing WAW a lot recently and ive gotten use to games that are first to 10. Ive also gotten used to their being 8 - 12 people on each team. S&D games in MW2 are first to 4 and only support 6 people on a team. This is rubbish, at the very least it should be first to 6, but 10 is more realistic. I realize that without servers the number of players is limited but if they can do 9 vs 9 on ground war games then why not S&D? I dont get it. The final thing that really annoys me is showing the person who got the last kill. This feature is a nice idea but in S&D it happens after EVERY round and ends up slowing the game down, its really tedious. They should make it so that this only happens at the end of the game like in other modes.

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

Costs more? I paid exactly the same amount of money for this game as The Sims 3, Fallout 3 etc. It costs no more than any other PC Game from where I got it from - JB Hi Fi.biggest_loser
Yeah wonderful, the majority of the users here do not live in Australia. They're asking us to pay $60 for it. All of your posts regarding this game fall under the delusional umbrella of "It doesn't affect me so no one else has a reason to complain."

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Glad to see they actually docked its score and critised it. Still .5 is well... just .5.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
good review. ALthough they say its essentially the same game as consoles yet they give it 8.5 because compared to other pc games it lacks features
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#41 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts
good review. ALthough they say its essentially the same game as consoles yet they give it 8.5 because compared to other pc games it lacks features adamosmaki
Probably a more fair way to put it would be that compared to other games in the same series it lacks features. They basically left out what made COD4 so popular.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

biggest_loser

LOL yeah someone is going to get fired!! The CEO's are in retreat already!!

Costs more? I paid exactly the same amount of money for this game as The Sims 3, Fallout 3 etc. It costs no more than any other PC Game from where I got it from - JB Hi Fi.

Same price as all other games and it runs perfectly and is really great fun.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#43 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
The video review made no mention of the fact that there are no dedicated servers. Nice job GameSpot. I wonder how much activision paid them to leave that detail out.
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

The video review made no mention of the fact that there are no dedicated servers. Nice job GameSpot. I wonder how much activision paid them to leave that detail out. chandu83
while the written review was made just for PC.. the video is for consoles..

Chris Watters pulls out the big guns in this Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 video review for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

pay attention to the written review..not the video..

Players cannot set up dedicated servers to host their own custom-tuned matches, and the player count for each match has been capped at 18 as opposed to the possible 64-player matches of Call of Duty 4

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#45 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

[QUOTE="chandu83"]The video review made no mention of the fact that there are no dedicated servers. Nice job GameSpot. I wonder how much activision paid them to leave that detail out. devious742

while the written review was made just for PC.. the video is for consoles..

Chris Watters pulls out the big guns in this Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 video review for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

pay attention to the written review..not the video..

Players cannot set up dedicated servers to host their own custom-tuned matches, and the player count for each match has been capped at 18 as opposed to the possible 64-player matches of Call of Duty 4

Do not pay attention to the video? Why put it there in that case...

If you are going to include a video review in a PC review section, I don't think its far fetched to assume that its a PC version.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

The Good

The Bad

• Campaign is short

devious742

How can you have a Short, yet action packed campaign? Thats like watching a 5 minute movie by michael bay, hardly "intense"

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

While the review gave it a lower score, I wouldn't call it a good review or a review I "would respect". All it did was just listed down the stuff lacking in PC version (for which you don't really need to play the console version) and copied the rest from console review --- no mention (at least I couldn't find any) of how much problems were or not or if everything was smooth or not etcnaval
hate to be quoting myself , but here is the kind of review I was talking about which does mentions the issues with the lack of features and just the features : http://palgn.com.au/pc-gaming/15586/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-review/

part from the reduction of players though, the main controversy on the PC version lies within its lack of dedicated servers, which was ditched for a Matchmaking system, simialr to consoles. Though this isn't much of a problem for consoles considering the control scheme and somewhat slower pace, Matchmaking proves incredibly inconsistent on the PC version. To elaborate, the PC version is naturally a faster game due to more power pumping into the game and total mouse control, the extra lag that match making gives severely hinders the control and precision that PC players have always enjoyed for well over a decade. Console gamers have this eased up on them due to aim assist, which makes matchmaking much easier to handle as you don't require near pitch perfect aim. On the PC however, the extra pacing and precise requirements of mouse control makes a game with lag become a noticeable and annoying hinderance.

And it happens often at that. Unless the hosting player has a very powerful internet connection (a somewhat uncommon thing in Australia), most players will suffer, though the host will have a clear cut advantage due to 0 ping on his end. If the host leaves, the game scrambles to find another competent enough host which breaks the pacing of the game and kicks you out of the zone often enough. The matchmaking setup is not entirely broken and tends to work sometimes, many a time you'll be pitted in a server where you'll get latency issues that will noticeably impact your performance. Leaving will also result in a penalty to your win/loss ratio, so you're essentially being punished for leaving a game that isn't working well for you in performance. We could go on about the inconsistencies of match making, but to put it bluntly, Infinity Ward made a huge mistake with the removal of dedicated servers. Sure, they've taken a step forward with ease of accessibility in multiplayer, but they've taken several steps back by trying to fix something that was never really broken.

PalGN

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

[QUOTE="devious742"]

The Good

The Bad

• Campaign is short

Nibroc420

How can you have a Short, yet action packed campaign? Thats like watching a 5 minute movie by michael bay, hardly "intense"

What the heck are you talking about? You indeed can..............ever play MW1?

dmcguk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dmcguk
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts

Nice to see some reviewers still have a brain and not bribes in their skulls

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
IT is making my stomach churn how Modern Warfare one and two have gotten such great reviews.. When the single player was tremendously linear, with dumb AI, and the stereotypical story... With some cool "theater set" pieces.. But by and large you couldn't do anything for the most part in it.. Furthermore its multiplayer was at best average in this age of FPS for the pc..