Games won't go full screen at less than 1920x1080

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I'm using my Dell Studio XPS 17 laptop, which has a native 1920x1080 screen. Since it's getting old, it doesn't run modern games all that well, and I've found the dropping the resolution down to 720p gives me a massive boost in framerate. For example, Sleeping Dogs was just barely playable (hovering like 22-29 fps) at 1080p, and I dropped it to 720p without changing anything else, and had to turn on v sync to keep it from going over 60.

Most games seem to work no problem, but there are two games, Skryim and Crysis 2, that I'm having trouble with. The problem is, they won't go full screen at any less than 1080p. I set them to 720p, and full screen, and they give me the game in a little 1280x720 box, in the middle of my 1920x1080 screen, with a black background.

I've tried everything that I know of, and nothing will fix it. I've googled the sh!t out of the problem, and I'm starting to feel like I'm literally the only person in the world who's ever got this. I'm also starting to think that the issue is with my laptop, rather than the games. A friend of mine tested on his computer, and says Skyrim stretches to full screen no problem with he sets it below his native res. Also, as a last resort attempt, I went into the windows settings and changed my desktop resolution to 1280x720. Get this. My desktop came up in a little box with a black background. Also, it only happens on the actual laptop screen. If I use an HDMI and plug into my 1080p TV, it displays the games in full screen, even at 720p. On top of that, probably the weirdest part: If I plug into the TV, and have it set on duplicate screens, so the TV and laptop screen display the same thing, the games work fine, full screen, 720p, on both. But then I unplug from the TV, and the laptop screen crushes the game back into its little box. WHAT THE F***?

Does anyone have the slightest clue what's causing this and/or how to fix it? I'm completely at a loss, and those two games barely even playable (probably lower framerates than most PC gamers would even call "playable") at 1080p, but they run quite nicely at 720p, albeit in their little boxes.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
Adjust the scaling/ratio options.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

What are your current specs for your laptop and how old is it?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_bi99man

Adjust the scaling/ratio options.darksusperia

Where?

And the laptop is 3 years old, got a mobility radeon HD4670 1gb. And my catalyst control center won't open. I tried getting the latest drivers (the official ones, right from the AMD site, the exact ones it told me to get) to fix that a couple weeks ago, and it made my computer sh!t itself. forced the resolution to 640x480 (stretched to widescreen, at that), my control panel display settings didn't recognize the monitor, and the device manager didn't even show my video card anymore. Had to use system restore to fix that.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]Adjust the scaling/ratio options.the_bi99man

Where?

And the laptop is 3 years old, got a mobility radeon HD4670 1gb. And my catalyst control center won't open. I tried getting the latest drivers (the official ones, right from the AMD site, the exact ones it told me to get) to fix that a couple weeks ago, and it made my computer sh!t itself. forced the resolution to 640x480 (stretched to widescreen, at that), my control panel display settings didn't recognize the monitor, and the device manager didn't even show my video card anymore. Had to use system restore to fix that.

There's your issue, your laptop can't run in 1080p with that. Also AMD has stopped supporting your legacy Graphics card.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]Adjust the scaling/ratio options.FireEmblem_Man

Where?

There's your issue, your laptop can't run in 1080p with that. Also AMD has stopped supporting your legacy Graphics card.

Oh shut up

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]Adjust the scaling/ratio options.FireEmblem_Man

Where?

Erm, not running in 1080p isn't the issue. And actually, it runs 1080p perfectly fine. The problem is that certain, more graphically intensive games, run a lot better at a lower resolution (naturally), and two of those games refuse to fill the screen at any less than native 1080p. Crysis 1 does exactly what I want it to do when I drop the resolution the 720p. It fills my whole screen, but looks worse, and runs at a higher framerate. Crysis 2 and Skyrim, however, don't fill the screen. It's like the screen stays at 1920x1080, and the game just runs in a little 1280x720 box.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

in the nvidia control panel under scaling you can let the gpu perform aspect ratio scaling and even stretched rather than let your monitor handle this. (This also reduces input lag)

I am sure ati has something similar, if not, lol.

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

in the nvidia control panel under scaling you can let the gpu perform aspect ratio scaling and even stretched rather than let your monitor handle this. (This also reduces input lag)

JigglyWiggly_
do people even read the posts? anyway check to see if the services of the amd display drivers are on (I don't know the correct services names for amd). Because when my display driver service is off (it usually is) I also can't access the control panel. the first one NVIDIA Display Driver Service would need to say 'automatic' instead of 'disabled (uitgeschakeld)'
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_bi99man

Yeah, all the catalyst control center processes are running, but I cannot open the the control center. I used to be able to, and I'm not sure when it stopped working, but, like I said, i tried updating to the latest drivers and it damn near destroyed my computer. And I don't think that's the issue, anyway, because it's only those two games that have the problem. Also like I said, they'll go full screen at <1080p on my 1080p TV, and even go full screen on the laptop screen, when it's also plugged into the TV. It's the most confusing issue I've ever had with any computer.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

nilzg
do people even read the posts? anyway check to see if the services of the amd display drivers are on (I don't know the correct services names for amd). Because when my display driver service is off (it usually is) I also can't access the control panel. the first one NVIDIA Display Driver Service would need to say 'automatic' instead of 'disabled (uitgeschakeld)'

nope driversweeper time
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="nilzg"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

JigglyWiggly_

nope driversweeper time

I also used driversweeper when I tried to install the latest drivers. May or may not have contributed to the fact that it completely broke my computer, and needed a system restore to the previous day.

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
Just to clear 1 thing up when you updated your drivers it didn't fck up your pc it's normal that it goes back to low resolutions and so since it has no proper drivers to read from (because you've deleted them in the first place). So nvm that.. So I assume that you have old drivers installed now (or partial drivers). First of download the new drivers then I'd remove/delete everything that has something to do with that gpu (with or without driver sweeper your choice) then restart your system, it will show low resolutions and run like shi!e now but that doesn't matter then install your freshly downloaded drivers (official) . then restart your system and test again
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]Adjust the scaling/ratio options.the_bi99man

Where?

do the following: Reboot the system in Safe Mode (F8) and do the following: 1 - Delete all ATI folders in C:\programs files and C:\programs files (x86) as well as the temp ati folder usually located at c:\ati 2 - Go to C:\Windows\assembly and sort by "Public Key Token". Locate the following Public Key Token "90ba9c70f846762e" Usually there are only two entries. However, there can be many just be careful here we are only deleting/uninstalling entries tagged with the "90ba9c70f846762e" token. (if deletion will not work right click and uninstall) 3 - deleting these policies in safe mode may result in a permissions error. The entries will only show up in systems affected by this issue. This means that searching for these entries on systems where CCC is loading properly, should result in none found *(as per ati's dev team) 4 - Shut down and re-start normally. 5 - Reinstall the ATI Catalyst package. 6 (optional) -Launch CCC from the right click context menu if it doesn't start automatically. if you can then open CCC you can get to the scaling/ratio options.
shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

I was just having the same problem with Crysis 2 just a couple days ago. All I had to do was disable DirectX 11 through the in-game settings, restarted the program and BAM fullscreen! One difference in my case though is that I'm playing in 1080p, so I don't know if this will work at 720p resolution or not. Couldn't hurt to try though!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_bi99man

Alright I'm downloading the latest Catalyst drivers now. I'll give that a try.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]Adjust the scaling/ratio options.darksusperia

Where?

Go to C:\Windows\assembly and sort by "Public Key Token". Locate the following Public Key Token "90ba9c70f846762e" Usually there are only two entries. However, there can be many just be careful here we are only deleting/uninstalling entries tagged with the "90ba9c70f846762e" token. (if deletion will not work right click and uninstall)

Hmm. So, is it a problem if there's like, a sh!tload of entries with that token? Like over 200? Almost 300? Because I just looked, and, yeah. Sure that's all stuff I don't need and/or will be replaced with the new drivers? Some of them have names that I recognize, that look like they're part of the video drivers, but a lot don't look like anything I recognize.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

Where?

the_bi99man

Go to C:\Windows\assembly and sort by "Public Key Token". Locate the following Public Key Token "90ba9c70f846762e" Usually there are only two entries. However, there can be many just be careful here we are only deleting/uninstalling entries tagged with the "90ba9c70f846762e" token. (if deletion will not work right click and uninstall)

Hmm. So, is it a problem if there's like, a sh!tload of entries with that token? Like over 200? Almost 300? Because I just looked, and, yeah. Sure that's all stuff I don't need and/or will be replaced with the new drivers? Some of them have names that I recognize, that look like they're part of the video drivers, but a lot don't look like anything I recognize.

the number varies apparently. [ "Yes, I've run into the problem on 2 more occasions since writing this fix, I found 39 and another with over 200, so the number of them does apparently vary significantly. Just so long as you are careful to only delete policies identified by the key token 90ba9c70f846762e everything should be good though." ] source
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_bi99man

Mmk. Gonna try it now.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_bi99man

nevermind got it.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_bi99man

nevermind got it.

the_bi99man

okay, maybe not. Safe mode doesn't want to work. I'm pressing F8, I'm holding down F8, the thing's beeping at me, and not booting safe mode.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darksusperia

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

nevermind got it.

the_bi99man

okay, maybe not. Safe mode doesn't want to work. I'm pressing F8, I'm holding down F8, the thing's beeping at me, and not booting safe mode.

tap it repeatedly just after it leaves the dell screen, not before.

EDIT:

Alternatively:

Open the Start Menu, then type msconfig in the search box and press Enter.

If prompted by UAC, click on Yes.

Click on the Boot tab.

Select OS at the top, then check Safe boot and dot/tick/check Minimal.

Click on OK and restart the computer.

The computer will now restart and start into Safe Mode.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_bi99man

Okay, got safe mode to boot. Deleted everything having anything to do with ATI and AMD from every folder I could find, and deleted the whole pile of things from the windows assembly folder. Rebooted into normal mode, ran new catalyst package installer and.... it refuses to install anything but the video drivers (so, no catalyst control center) because it insists i have catalyst control center installed and up to date. And I most certainly do not.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darksusperia

Okay, got safe mode to boot. Deleting everything having anything to do with ATI and AMD from every folder I could find, and deleted the whole pile of things from the windows assembly folder. Rebooted into normal mode, ran new catalyst package installer and.... it refuses to install anything but the video drivers (so, no catalyst control center) because it insists i have catalyst control center installed and up to date.

the_bi99man
have you checked that CCC still isnt an entry in the programs and features? (cntrol panel -> programs and features) try uninstalling it if its listed.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darksusperia

also try drivers sweeper and remove anything it finds.

Might be worth running CCleaner to remove any remaining reg entries that the installer may be looking at/for. (this will also remove any remaining programs & features entries too)

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_bi99man

yeah, CCC is still in the programs list, but when I try to uninstall it it just says "setup.exe has stopped working". I'm like 99% positive that it not actually there, anywhere, so I'm just gonna try getting rid of all the entried with CCleaner.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_bi99man

Okay. Soo. After deleting all the ATI registry entries with CCleaner, I restarted, and tried the catalyst installer again. It didn't claim that I already had catalyst control center, and it said it installed it. But! After restarting the computer, I got this immediately on signing in.

shit-1.jpg

Then, I tried opening CCC from the desktop right click option, and got this one.

shit2.jpg

Just looked for the actual program folder, and it doesn't look like CCC is even there.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darksusperia
either you missed on of the tokens in the delete/uninstall policies step OR you need to uninstall and reinstall the .NET framework. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 Scroll down to method 2: repair the .NET framework.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_bi99man

Just tried that. Nothing. Did the entire safe mode uninstall/reinstall process over again after doing that. Still nothing. I'm now convinced that the official CCC download from AMD.com is fake. It does not contain CCC. I give up. Again. Going to plan b.

Step 1: System restore, to before I messed with it today.

Step 2: suck it up and live with inexplicable resolution/full screen problems with Crysis 2 and Skyrim, and a nonexistant GPU control panel.

Step 3: Remember to never buy anything from AMD again, because apparently functioning hardware and drivers are just too much to ask from those a$$holes.

Thanks for trying to help. Maybe someday I'll back up my entire harddrive, and do a complete format/reset to factory settings, and then not update.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JigglyWiggly_

i recommend this:
uninstall all ati software
upgrade to windows 8
install CCC again
prey the upgrade magically fixed your problem in the upgrade
it fixed my broken .net

but yeah i've had loads of problems opening CCC when I had ati

i' not going back

everything's just working on nvidia

(i was always ati b4)

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darksusperia
Sorry to hear that. I have a HP laptop that has an ATI card and it had similiar issues, spat out IO errors etc, couldnt adjust resolution, couldnt reinstall drivers/ccc etc. HP warranty claimed it was a bad hdd. I still think the GPU was shot (the machine overheated disasterously).
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_bi99man

Yeah, I've now dealt with one laptop with an ATI card, and two different ATI cards in my old desktop, and I've never had anything but horrific driver problems with all three of them, from day one. And now! Fan-fvcking-tastic. I just did a system restore to before I messed with any of it today, and I'm getting another error message on startup that I wasn't getting before (though I do recognize it from the last time I tried fixing this issue). This wonderful little guy.

moreshit.jpg

I punched that into google, and found what looked to be a good solution, icluding driver sweeper, CCleaner, and new drivers. Did all of that. No luck at all. Did ANOTHER system restore, and it's still there. I think I'm just going to have to live with it. Fvcking ati/amd. I'm taking my laptop to a shop later this week. I'm just so completely fed up with all of this. I'm just going to tell someone at the shop whats happening, leave it there, and say "call me when it works".

Alternatively... does anyone know about replacing video cards in laptops? Is it possible? How easy? Where can I get an nVidia card for this thing?

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darksusperia
just delete the entry from the startup reg. never have to see it again LOL.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_bi99man

just delete the entry from the startup reg. never have to see it again LOL.darksusperia

That was my first thought. But, in what is yet another of the wonderful mysteries of my laptop, it seems, there is no entry for it in the startup reg.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darksusperia
did you check both HKCU and HKLM?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_bi99man

did you check both HKCU and HKLM?darksusperia

Hmm? I was looking in the startup and services tabs of MSCONFIG. Is there somewhere else I should look?

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]did you check both HKCU and HKLM?the_bi99man

Hmm? I was looking in the startup and services tabs of MSCONFIG. Is there somewhere else I should look?

Check the following locations via regedit Hkey_local_machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and RunOnce Hkey_current_user\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and RunOnce
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_bi99man

Hmm. Nope. Nothing resembling that in either of those.