Games that used to be on Steam.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EskimosAreReal
Member since 2007 • 496 Posts

Just for fun. Does anyone know of a site (I checked Steam already) that lists games that used to be on Steam, but have since been removed?? Thanx.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Why would anyone archive that?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
That would never happen. As a matter of fact, more games are using STEAM activation nowadays.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
That would never happen. Elann2008
It has happened, unless you are saying no one would ever collect that list, which might never happen lol.
BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
Risen went a way for a couple of months then popped back with a nice ripoff price attached to it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

Technically all the new games on there with retail prices are ripoffs because you're paying for invisible manufacturing and shipping costs along with the game itself.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Technically all the new games on there with retail prices are ripoffs because you're paying for invisible manufacturing and shipping costs along with the game itself.

Sheppard212

I'm glad you know so much about digital distribution. I'm guessing you've never heard of bandwidth costs and server maintenance.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/

They peaked at 164,725 Megabits a second today (That's 20.1080 GIGABYTES A SECOND). You know how much that costs them? A lot of money.

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts

[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

simardbrad

I'm glad you know so much about digital distribution. I'm guessing you've never heard of bandwidth costs and server maintenance.

They peaked at 164,725 Megabits a second today (That's 20.1080 GIGABYTES A SECOND). You know how much that costs them? A lot of money.

lol so you think downloading a game costs the same as manufacturing a retail box? wow that's ... something.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

BDK-Soft

lol so you think downloading a game costs the same as manufacturing a retail box? wow that's ... something.

It probably costs them more actually considering the pricing of bandwidth these days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="BDK-Soft"][QUOTE="simardbrad"]

simardbrad

It probably costs them more actually considering the pricing of bandwidth these days.

No, not at all. If I used my own home internet connection, I could upload 31 games at 8 gigs per game before I went past my flexible cap. At a monthly subscription of less than $50 a month, that's $1.61 per game. Businesses get a much cheaper price per GB than I do, and it doesn't take hardly any energy to run a server for one person. You have to have someone watching the servers, but you don't have to have a factory, or a production team, or buy gas, or buy the rest of the transportation, or buy the raw materials used for the packaging, or buy the ink for the front cover and manual, or have QC specifically for the manufacturing process... Just no, not at all.
denter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 denter21
Member since 2003 • 1283 Posts

No, not at all. If I used my own home internet connection, I could upload 31 games at 8 gigs per game before I went past my flexible cap. At a monthly subscription of less than $50 a month, that's $1.61 per game. Businesses get a much cheaper price per GB than I do, and it doesn't take hardly any energy to run a server for one person. You have to have someone watching the servers, but you don't have to have a factory, or a production team, or buy gas, or buy the rest of the transportation, or buy the raw materials used for the packaging, or buy the ink for the front cover and manual, or have QC specifically for the manufacturing process... Just no, not at all.guynamedbilly

You do realize that servers of that size and number require separate buildings of their own to hold them, with dedicated air handling systems, and draw enormous amounts of electricity (which isn't free btw). Yahoo's data center in NY is a good example.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]No, not at all. If I used my own home internet connection, I could upload 31 games at 8 gigs per game before I went past my flexible cap. At a monthly subscription of less than $50 a month, that's $1.61 per game. Businesses get a much cheaper price per GB than I do, and it doesn't take hardly any energy to run a server for one person. You have to have someone watching the servers, but you don't have to have a factory, or a production team, or buy gas, or buy the rest of the transportation, or buy the raw materials used for the packaging, or buy the ink for the front cover and manual, or have QC specifically for the manufacturing process... Just no, not at all.denter21

You do realize that servers of that size and number require separate buildings of their own to hold them, with dedicated air handling systems, and draw enormous amounts of electricity (which isn't free btw). Yahoo's data center in NY is a good example.

Yes, but do you think that games that don't ship via say steam don't already have servers for online play? If a developer tried to build a server farm for just their game, maybe it would be more efficient to ship to retail outlets. Places like steam and direct2drive collaborate the resources, and there is no way that it's more expensive. It's just not possible.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="BDK-Soft"][QUOTE="simardbrad"]

simardbrad

Bandwidth is cheap compared to manufacturing. A 10GB game, would cost pennies to deliver each time.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Pointless thread because no games were removed, there are games that aren't on Steam at all or games that are only available in some regions.