Games like Oblivion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V2FLUXER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 V2FLUXER
Member since 2005 • 547 Posts
I'm done with Oblivion now completely nothing for me to do but kill people, and I was wonderign if there are any other good RPG games out there like Oblivion?
F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 F4ll3n_1
Member since 2005 • 1263 Posts

Theres is predecessor Morrowind, which, IMO is much more interesting environment wise and gameplay wise by a zillion miles.

Theres none of that scaled looting crap.

V2FLUXER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 V2FLUXER
Member since 2005 • 547 Posts
Yeah i should have mentoned I'm done with Morrowind too haha.
F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 F4ll3n_1
Theres that really old one called Arx Fatalis (I dont know what its like). Or you could try Dark Messiah oMaM; people say its bad, but the MP is rather entertaining and the combat is purely visceral. Its really fun, just not great otherwise. But worth it.
TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts
I played Arx Fatalis. It was a pretty good game. I'm one of the few people that liked the magic system in that game. It's pretty linear but a decent RPG.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

Arx Fatalis was alright, and Dark Messiah had a greatly improved version of Oblivion's combat.

Still, I'd probably check out the Gothic series. I've only played Gothic 2, but it's certainly Morrowind-esque (much more challenging, though).

Oh yeah, and The Witcher.

Simechak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Simechak
Member since 2002 • 1497 Posts
Check out the upcoming game The Witcher. WHile you don't get to make your own persona like in Oblivion, you do get to play a massive, open ended game.
F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 F4ll3n_1

The Witcher should be awesome when it comes out, so get that.

Gothic 3 was incredibly buggy, seriously difficult, and ran with all the efficiency of a hamster wheel powered nuclear plant.

Gothic 2 was a lot more stable, but its clearly older, and I still didnt like it.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Gothic series

Two Worlds

F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 F4ll3n_1
Two worlds looked good, really good, but I hear it didnt really deliver, and I played the demo, it was a bit better than gothic imo.
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
personally I liked two worlds a lot but you might be better off to wait a little bit for hellgate: london.
clanlord21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clanlord21
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts

maybe you should try out S.T.A.L.K.E.R:Shadow of chernobyl.

It's mostly the same gameplay as oblivion except only in first person:cry:

It's got all stuff like side missions, guns :P, mods, variety of weapons, clothes, items, food and even traders :)

I have got this game and it is quite fun, except im poisened and can't get rid of it :cry: :cry:

TRY IT OUT

the-wiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the-wiz
Member since 2003 • 165 Posts

Yeah, I'd try Stalker. Its graphics arn't as good, story isn't QUITE as deep, maybe not as much gameplay (Oblivion had soo much) but it still has alot of gameplay, and the story IS still good. Its got a mix or horror and action, and a great amount of exploration and freedom. You don't really level up though, but your character improves with weapons etc.

It borrows from Oblivion and delivers its own unique and excellent experience, but I wouldn't quite say it IS an RPG, its still a FPS, butwithRPG elements. Its great though, you should still get it.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Gothic 3 gets actually really good and addictive after five hours. I stopped playing after 50 hours though, because of all the bugs. 50 hours is still a lot, but in Gothic 3 if you want to get everything done, you have to play through the game twice (on different sides) and that takes about 200 hours.
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts

Two worlds looked good, really good, but I hear it didnt really deliver, and I played the demo, it was a bit better than gothic imo.F4ll3n_1

The Witcher looks awesome. I like the Gothic series a lot, as well. Morrowind as stated previously, is superior to Oblivion in many ways.

I'm currently playing Two Worlds and I gave the demo a poor review (which, I'm going to edit) ...however, I have to say that Two Worlds is pretty fun once you get used to the game play. It's growing on me rapidly.The dialogue gets better in the commercial release. I don't the think the graphics are quite as good as Gothic 3, but the shadows, music and sound are really good. I don't think Oblivion should be compared to Two Worlds, since I've been playing it more. Sure, there are similarities, but there are innovations in Two Worlds that I've never experienced in an rpg before. It's a different experience. If you want to compare apples to oranges, Two Worlds is more similar to Gothic than Oblivion in it's gameplay. There's definitely more action, more blood and more grit.

If you liked Oblivion, try out Two Worlds. I hated the demo, but took a chance buying the full game and I'm not disappointed so far.

ROXLYDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 ROXLYDE
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
Have ya played the Game of the Year Edition Oblivion with both expansions?
Mothomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mothomar
Member since 2003 • 48 Posts

Gothic 3 is a spectacular game, and for those who still think it has bugs, download the patches, and the community patch 1.4; If you think it runs slow, try getting two gigs of ram (which alot of games seem to require to run smoothly anyway) and a hint to eleviate the slowdowns is to switch your swapfile (virtual memory) onto a different drive than the game, makes it run great (helps other games too). the main ini tweak to make it run smooth WITH 2 GB of ram is to change cache.sizeimage = 128000000 to 256000000 Anyway, enough of the technical side, Gothic 3 is quite similar to Oblivion, you can even play in first person if you want.

Dark Messiah is nothing like Oblivion, an ok game though, but not really open ended with a sandbox world. Thief Deadly Shadows is pretty good, atmospheric, a bit more stealthy, but still first person. Just Cause is another huge game, its a shooter, but there's tons to do. That's all I can think of right now.

gskristen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gskristen
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts
There's Two Worlds, which is supposed to have gameplay that is virtually identical to Oblivion. I loved Oblivion, so I tried the Two Worlds demo and while it wasn't as good as Oblivion, it might be worth checking out if you love that type of game. Might and Magic Dark Messiah was ok. It's also pretty and fairly easy to play. About the same as Two Worlds, so I'd recommend downloading the demos of those two. But don't expect anything to be Oblivion, because you'll be disappointed.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RK-Mara

Gothic 3 is a spectacular game, and for those who still think it has bugs, download the patches, and the community patch 1.4; If you think it runs slow, try getting two gigs of ram (which alot of games seem to require to run smoothly anyway) and a hint to eleviate the slowdowns is to switch your swapfile (virtual memory) onto a different drive than the game, makes it run great (helps other games too). the main ini tweak to make it run smooth WITH 2 GB of ram is to change cache.sizeimage = 128000000 to 256000000 Anyway, enough of the technical side, Gothic 3 is quite similar to Oblivion, you can even play in first person if you want.

Mothomar

Even with the community patch 1.4 it has loads of bugs. And a community patch? JoWood stopped supporting the game way too early. They only fixed few of the dozen major problems. There's nothing the community can do about the memory leak.

F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 F4ll3n_1
Actually thinking about it, somebody released a mod to make oblivion more like morrowind, i.e. no scaling, which I think will improve the game no end, but i had it on the 360 you see, so i dont really know. maybe you should give it a go till you find summat.
TA127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 TA127
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts
Get Dark Messiah its a good game
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

I played Arx Fatalis. It was a pretty good game. I'm one of the few people that liked the magic system in that game. It's pretty linear but a decent RPG.TheCyberKnight

That game is a fantasy FPS and not a RPG, so is DMM&M

F4ll3n_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 F4ll3n_1

[QUOTE="TheCyberKnight"]I played Arx Fatalis. It was a pretty good game. I'm one of the few people that liked the magic system in that game. It's pretty linear but a decent RPG.Grantelicious

I really dont think he intends for us to be that picky!

If you level up, get skills/exp, then its as good as an RPG for me.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

[QUOTE="TheCyberKnight"]I played Arx Fatalis. It was a pretty good game. I'm one of the few people that liked the magic system in that game. It's pretty linear but a decent RPG.F4ll3n_1

I really dont think he intends for us to be that picky!

If you level up, get skills/exp, then its as good as an RPG for me.

RPG means role playign and not level up :\ otherwise it would be called LUG.... It's FPS styled and it's action based and set on a linear path like a FPS. Just because it has a few customizeable features doesn't mean it's a RPG + it doesnt have levels.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RK-Mara

Get Dark Messiah its a good gameTA127

It's a good game, but nothing like Oblivion. I believe he is looking for RPG's.

Actually thinking about it, somebody released a mod to make oblivion more like morrowind, i.e. no scaling, which I think will improve the game no end, but i had it on the 360 you see, so i dont really know. maybe you should give it a go till you find summat.F4ll3n_1

There's many mods like that. Mods are the best thing about Oblivion, I wish that other games would have such big modding communities too. I've played Oblivion for over 200 hours already, all thanks to mods.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Dark Messiah is nothing like Oblivion, an ok game though, but not really open ended with a sandbox world. Thief Deadly Shadows is pretty good, atmospheric, a bit more stealthy, but still first person. Just Cause is another huge game, its a shooter, but there's tons to do. That's all I can think of right now.

Mothomar

Did it fix the combat problems? I played the game and was horrified that the wolf was much more difficult to fight than any other monster. An orc with an axe was easier to fight than those stupid stunning wolves. Such a bad game, it was. And I thoroughly enjoyed the first one.:?

0Goldeneye0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 0Goldeneye0
Member since 2006 • 471 Posts
morrowind is the one to go with, But it is old and looks like crap, but other then that its a really good game!
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
dark messiah
Thrasher91604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Thrasher91604
Member since 2004 • 382 Posts

I know people already mentioned this, but Gothic 2 is probably your best bet.

Interesting story, a few factions to choose from (exclusive so that gives you some replay value), fun combat requiring player skill, open world, non-linear gameplay, sort of funny voice acting, and my favorite, no encumbrance! I hate dealing with inventory.

Graphics are a bit dated, but better than Morrowind.

For even older graphics but even better gameplay and stories, try Deus Ex or System Shock 2. They aren't as non-linear as Oblivion/Morrowind/Gothic 2, but they are excellent FPS/RPG hybrids like Oblivion.

Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

I know people already mentioned this, but Gothic 2 is probably your best bet.

Interesting story, a few factions to choose from (exclusive so that gives you some replay value), fun combat requiring player skill, open world, non-linear gameplay, sort of funny voice acting, and my favorite, no encumbrance! I hate dealing with inventory.

Graphics are a bit dated, but better than Morrowind.

For even older graphics but even better gameplay and stories, try Deus Ex or System Shock 2. They aren't as non-linear as Oblivion/Morrowind/Gothic 2, but they are excellent FPS/RPG hybrids like Oblivion.

Thrasher91604

Agreed

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RK-Mara
[QUOTE="Mothomar"]

DragonfireXZ95

Did it fix the combat problems? I played the game and was horrified that the wolf was much more difficult to fight than any other monster. An orc with an axe was easier to fight than those stupid stunning wolves. Such a bad game, it was. And I thoroughly enjoyed the first one.:?

Nope, the combat still sucks. It's easier to solo a whole city full of orcs than kill a pack of wolves.

withas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 withas
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
assasins creed is sopposed to be good
Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

assasins creed is sopposed to be goodwithas

That was a funny one

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts
As it is considered disruptive, please avoid bumping old threads.