Games like Gran Turismo for PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by AtotehZ (103 posts) -

Hey,

I've just come home from a friend who has all the GT games laying around and remembered how fun they are. Now I'm back home and got to think if there are any games like GT for PC.

If that's the case do you know any of them?

What I'm looking for are games with upgradable parts, possibly licenses and a bit more complexity than games such as the need for speed underground/most wanted series.

#2 Posted by adamosmaki (9898 posts) -
the closest i can think is Grid. Its more arcadey than GT5 but it has what you describe Then there are games like Rfactor and GTR but those games are simulators and they are not as easy to get into as Gt5
#3 Posted by DevilMightCry (3498 posts) -
Yeah Grid, and Shift (not Shift 2, unless they fixed the horrid controls and physics, or a way to mod it into a decent game).
#4 Posted by anotherone10 (1557 posts) -

You may want to look at NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed.

Other games to mention include iRacing and rFactor, although you might find them a bit too hardcore.

You should keep an eye on upcoming games such as rfactor 2 and also C.A.R.S which is by Slightly Mad Studios, the makers of Shift 2.

#5 Posted by AtotehZ (103 posts) -

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I am a big fan of GRID and looking forward to GRID 2, but what my focus here is a game where you have a wider range of vehicles with upgradable parts. Stuff like chip tuning, turboes, tires, weight, etc.

I will check out SHIFT, iRacing and rFactor. Being too hardcore won't be a problem, I know racing real life, the real problem might be the lack of a racing wheel, something I've been planning to buy for a while.

A late Merry Christmas to you ;)

#6 Posted by adamosmaki (9898 posts) -

I am a big fan of GRID and looking forward to GRID 2, but what my focus here is is a game where you have a wider range of vehicles with upgradable parts. Stuff like chip tuning, turboes, tires, weight, etc.

I will check out SHIFT, iRacing and rFactor. Being too hardcore won't be a problem, I know racing real life, the real problem might be the lack of a racing wheel, something I've been planning to buy for a while.

AtotehZ
if thats the case Rfactor iRacing and GTR series is what you are looking for but imo those games do scream to be played using a wheel Also project cars is a promising upcoming game
#7 Posted by GameFan1983 (2181 posts) -

no there isn't one. Ircing if you like pure sim and won't mind crappy graphic and pay monthly fee(it's more about being a real racer than playing a game) but car selection and racing types are severely limited compare to GT5, or dirt 2.3 for top grade rally experience.

#8 Posted by CUDGEdave (2590 posts) -

Theres one called Rfactor and Rfactor2 is on its way..I haven't tried it yet but theres a 60minute demo of rfactor1

http://rfactor.net/web/rf1/screens/

#9 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
I love the SHIFT series. Grid is good too. And if you like off-road, then check out DIRT.
#10 Posted by Masenkoe (4890 posts) -

Grid is great, Shift series.... is a no for me. Did NOT like those games.

I would also look into Dirt 2 and Dirt 3. Great games.

#11 Posted by 1q3er5 (759 posts) -
[QUOTE="AtotehZ"]

I am a big fan of GRID and looking forward to GRID 2, but what my focus here is a game where you have a wider range of vehicles with upgradable parts. Stuff like chip tuning, turboes, tires, weight, etc.

if you want hardcore racing. The PC is where its at. Go on youtube, there are a few channels that are dedicated to PC hardcore racing sims. You will be shocked at how expensive and intricate some of the PC hardware is. You can be as hardcore as you want to be although personally a g27 is good enough setup for me. check out something like http://simracinghardware.com/ if you got money to spare LOL the stuff is ridiculous.
#12 Posted by paretos (33 posts) -
Rfactor is great, iRacing and GTR series are fine and worth checking out. There should have been a port of GT on pc too. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tester, http://www.trademeters.com/ Retail Point Of Sale Software TradeMeters POS
#13 Posted by AtotehZ (103 posts) -

What I got from the responses here is "Get a ****ing wheel you noob!", something I've been thinking myself for a while, I just never got to it :)

Thanks anyway though :) next up on my budget is a REAL car so I have some transportation for my gocart to and from the track xD

Its 125cc, 45bhp 130kg total weight(including driver). Thats a better bhp/weight ratio than a porche 911 gt3 :D It has no gears tho.