Games like Dwarf Fortress/Sim City?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arcain48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Arcain48
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts
I've been trying to find a RTS game that is similar to Dwarf Fortress or Sim City. Basically a game where you control one "city" and see how massive you can create it. I don't want a game where you have to go through levels and complete an objective (Such as Warcraft). I like Dwarf Fortress a lot and have spent some time playing it, though I never truly got into it as much as I wanted to. I think I always got frustrated w/ the lack of mouse interface for it. I've been playing games like Evil Genius lately which is a very okay game with not a ton going for it but just another example of the type of game I'm interested in. I like the idea of building one city and watching it slowly grow into something amazing. Fighting in the game is not a requirement nor is it frowned upon but I would rather it take a back seat to the city building aspect of it. Also, of course I've played Civilization and the likes. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
Try Dawn of Discovery or Tropico 3. Both have free-play modes that let you build up a city however you want.
Arcain48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Arcain48
[QUOTE="ProudLarry"]Try Dawn of Discovery or Tropico 3. Both have free-play modes that let you build up a city however you want.

I've played Tropico 3 but wasn't "wowed" by it. Someone had recommended "Anno 1401" to me and I had no idea what they were talking about. Apparently in North America "Anno 1401" is actually Dawn of Discovery and after reading a review about it on your suggestion it sounds really amazing. I'm downloading a demo of it right now to see how it is. Thanks a lot!
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Its sad, if Dwarf Fortress had a non clunky interface it would be such an amazing game. It still is an amazing game, but its just too clunky for me to get into.

Arcain48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Arcain48

Its sad, if Dwarf Fortress had a non clunky interface it would be such an amazing game. It still is an amazing game, but its just too clunky for me to get into.

Grodus5
Agreed. I like it a lot. I think it's a great idea for a game and a game I could really devote a lot of time into. I don't mind the graphics at all or anything about it except for the lack of mouse support. If I could drag a dwarf over an object and that changed his current job and what not I think it would be perfect.
Cooltechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Cooltechie
Member since 2006 • 197 Posts

[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

Arcain48

Agreed. I like it a lot. I think it's a great idea for a game and a game I could really devote a lot of time into. I don't mind the graphics at all or anything about it except for the lack of mouse support. If I could drag a dwarf over an object and that changed his current job and what not I think it would be perfect.

I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to find what you're looking for, Dawn of Discovery isn't bad but it doesn't have it all. Sim City 2000 was always quite a lot of fun, but god games are part of a seriously underdeveloped genre. If you want the best get a clean nonclunky tileset for Dwarf fortress, that does away with most of the ascii. That way the game make clear sense and you don't loose the awesome capabilities. Furthermore if you tend to roleplay in a managerial manner nothing surpasses dwarf fortress due to its open ended gameplay, leaving much up to the player compared to limiting possibilities.

If you do like the atmosphere of Dwarf fortress I would recommend you look at minecraft - it is not a strategy game, however it has much the same feeling of exploration and open ended creation.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I'm looking towards this: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/solutions/soa/innov8/cityone/index.html CitiesXL may be worth a look to but i wasn't that impressed, it fell down on its big international trading idea, though it should be fairly cheap now the developer has gone bust.
Arcain48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Arcain48

I've spent a considerable amount of time trying to find what you're looking for, Dawn of Discovery isn't bad but it doesn't have it all. Sim City 2000 was always quite a lot of fun, but god games are part of a seriously underdeveloped genre. If you want the best get a clean nonclunky tileset for Dwarf fortress, that does away with most of the ascii. That way the game make clear sense and you don't loose the awesome capabilities. Furthermore if you tend to roleplay in a managerial manner nothing surpasses dwarf fortress due to its open ended gameplay, leaving much up to the player compared to limiting possibilities.

If you do like the atmosphere of Dwarf fortress I would recommend you look at minecraft - it is not a strategy game, however it has much the same feeling of exploration and open ended creation.

Cooltechie
Yeah I had different tilesets for dwarf fortress and found a few I liked. I never had a problem w/ the graphics, that's one thing that generally doesn't bother me with games. I just have serious issues getting past the lack of mouse support. I'd get frustrated because a lot of the controls aren't very intuitive. It's just a cumbersome game and until they add mouse support for it I don't think I'll be able to get into it. I have most of the Simcity games and played them tons. I might reinstall 3 again soon if I can't find a new game to waste my days on. I've heard of minecraft and looked at it briefly, I'll check it out again tonight. Thanks.
tankcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tankcow
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
hey um i made an account to say this if you want better graphics for dwarf fortress type dwarf fortress graphical mayday into google the graphics you can understand what things are!
tankcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tankcow
a snes game sim earth living planet is good you just need snes rom
tankcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tankcow
[QUOTE="Arcain48"]I've been trying to find a RTS game that is similar to Dwarf Fortress or Sim City. Basically a game where you control one "city" and see how massive you can create it. I don't want a game where you have to go through levels and complete an objective (Such as Warcraft). I like Dwarf Fortress a lot and have spent some time playing it, though I never truly got into it as much as I wanted to. I think I always got frustrated w/ the lack of mouse interface for it. I've been playing games like Evil Genius lately which is a very okay game with not a ton going for it but just another example of the type of game I'm interested in. I like the idea of building one city and watching it slowly grow into something amazing. Fighting in the game is not a requirement nor is it frowned upon but I would rather it take a back seat to the city building aspect of it. Also, of course I've played Civilization and the likes. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

a good click game would be goblin camp a guy wanted to make a game similar to dwarf fortress and everything you do you have to click
tankcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tankcow
off topic but ive struck adamantine!
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Dem dorfs man
stridervan779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stridervan779
zoo tycoon 2 lol?
tankcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tankcow
another good game would be sim city 4 deluxe edition
tankcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tankcow
off topic but ive struck adamantine!tankcow
also tribals develop in caverns you find and im building part of my town down there and im doing above ground fort (example would be buildings)
tankcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tankcow
[QUOTE="tankcow"]off topic but ive struck adamantine!tankcow
also tribals develop in caverns you find and im building part of my town down there and im doing above ground fort (example would be buildings)

OMG GIANT SPIDER ANNOYING ima SQUASH IT WITH GATE UNDERGROUND itll go rarr splat
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
[QUOTE="tankcow"][QUOTE="tankcow"]off topic but ive struck adamantine!tankcow

OMG GIANT SPIDER ANNOYING ima SQUASH IT WITH GATE UNDERGROUND itll go rarr splat

You're talking to yourself. Seek help.
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
minecraft is exactly like dwarf forstress just u are alone and you need to gather matirials and survive in randomly generated world btw its a first person rpg game you can buy it or try it at minecraft.net :)