This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ZJI
Member since 2004 • 2006 Posts

I now find games to be boring, many are so formulaic that it's hard to tell the difference between games. They all play the same, especially FPS games, it's all point and shoot. I find that city building games actually have the highest replay value, because it's all sandbox mode and you can build different cities. Or some Turn Based strategy games where each game turn out very differently. Otherwise, like in some RTS games, with the standard "rush" "boom" "superweapon duel" phases get repetitive and no longer interesting. And if the next RTS that you play is going to be like that too, it gets old immediately.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

I agree. I feel like most games I have played these days are the same games I played five years ago, just with better graphics.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Cant say I agree with games being boring these days but I think thats becouse I mainly play online games. Even just another fps is good when playing with others.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Baselerd

I almost exclusively play online games. A few good games come out every year, but the rest are just rehashes, and it tires me. Think, call of duty 2,4,WaW,4-2, etc. Theyre all the same. One game that I did happen to find quite refreshing was L4D :)

ZJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZJI

Mostly games just use the same basic formula as the previous games. Like the "tank" in Red alert 3, may just be the equivallent of a "war wagon" in a Warhammer RTS, just looks different. In all "strategy" games, there are pre determined phases, like the early rush phase, and the late game show down by running over the enemy base with the most units. I just played Half life 2 for the first time, and I was completely bored by it, because it played just like any other shooter, released before or after it.

It's very rare that some game like Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Sim city that comes out that can actually give you some decent number of hours of play before you are bored with it.

And considering that PC hardware cost so much compared to console, I don't think that PC gaming is worth it seeing that the games are so repetitive and boring. I haven't tried Crysis or Farcry2, but I'm going to assume it's going to be the same stuff. I played FarCry1, Half Life 2, etc... and they all play like the same game, I don't have to "learn" to play any of them, they are just like the other FPS that you played.

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

If you want something different, might I recommend a game like Space Rangers 2?

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

I'm bored as well

But i,m bored with every game running like crap on my computer but the thing isit's go nothing to do with my hardware i meet the requirements and any prerendered cinematics keep stuttring and i don't know what to do because i've done everything.

now my games have stop even working for me now they won't run.

I get the feeling that microsoft may have put some code into a Windows XP update that slowly cripple your comuter until you give in and buy an xbox.

parasitesingle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 parasitesingle
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts
For FPS, have you played: Deus Ex Thief 1 & 2 System Shock 2 Mirror's Edge Escape from Butcher Bay Assault on Dark Athena They are all first person games, but they're far more (or less, as the case may be) than mere point and shoot. They're also all great games. For RTS, have you played the Total War series? They are a blend of RTS and TBS, and they are awesome. How about Dawn of War? It uses a territory based system favouring very aggressive play. Do you play indie games? Have you seen And Yet it Moves, Braid, World of Goo, and Aquaria? They're all fascinating games. What about adventure games? Get SCUMMVM and check out all the old LucasArts games like Sam and Max Hit the Road, the Monkey Island series, the Indiana Jones games, the Maniac Mansion games, or the entire ____ Quest series by Sierra. Or (fairly) newer adventure games, like the Broken Sword series or Blade Runner. Or the super new adventure games, like Telltale's Sam and Max seasons. If you're fed up with the bog standard FPS and RTS, look for something new. I'm sure there are games out there that you'd love that you've never heard of and genres you don't even know exist.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I mostly disagree ---- RTS ad TBS have huge variety in gameplay -- -some tactical, other not so much, some based on superweapon some not so much, RPGs also are quite interesting from the tactical King's Bounty, to mindless roam Fallout 3 or nice WRPG like NWN : MotB etc. As far as FPS is concerned, I do see a lack of variety in 95% of them out there but there are always a few that keep things interesting
ZJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZJI

If you want something different, might I recommend a game like Space Rangers 2?

Ein-7919

Already played it. It's designed for short time play, as the missions and events "dry up" if you don't beat the game for a while. So it's not going to last as long as a game like Oblivion.

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#11 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

*reads the title*...*goes away*

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I know what you mean OP, I feel the exact same way right now. I've moved back to the old classics like Alpha Centauri, Transport Tycoon and such. Seems like there hasn't been a huge leap in graphics recently, and all the flashy new games are getting boring, so I've had to go back to the quality old-school games. These classic open-ended games never get old.
CyberAltair5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 CyberAltair5
Member since 2008 • 1346 Posts

This is why I love sandbox games. The freedom may not warrant enough replayabilty but you'll hard feel bored.

Nikan-Ansari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nikan-Ansari
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I agree, whenever i buy a game it play it for about an hour and then i dont touch it. Its probably because sometimes they just get repetetive or simply dont live up to my expectations. Thus explaining that huge pile of bills from Best Buy. Edit- Good Point about Sandbox games, there are Sandbox games that actually are fun for a long time. Espciacially GTA. I love playing it only on RP servers. It hasent bored me So far
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

they are gonna be boring if you tell yourself, "I played this before".

stealth_hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 stealth_hitman
Member since 2009 • 88 Posts
I can understand where your coming from. A lot of these game companies need to come up with a new genre or somthing unique.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I feel the same, there are alot of generic shooters being released but CSS is still fun because of the people in the games. Can't wait for Cites XL, should give the city building genre a good refresh :)
stealth_hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stealth_hitman
Now in days they seem to be about who has the best looking graphics. i do like that they r improving on the physics.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, seeing how many sequels are coming out these days. I wish there were new games rather than sequels. That's the reason I loved Crysis so much.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
If I get bored of games I tend to do something else. Watch a movie. Hit the gym. Apologise to the gym and carry on my way.
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

on average games got better in every way compared to the past

anyone dissagreeing is just getting nostalgic about the "good old times" and letting emotions effect his judgment

succulent_toes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 succulent_toes
Member since 2008 • 680 Posts
life is boring. games are not!!
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

anyone dissagreeing is just getting nostalgic about the "good old times" and letting emotions effect his judgment

Enosh88
Agreed.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Everything is boring come to think of it, movies, TV shows, outdoors hunting, internet, even friends are boring.... play games is better than anything.
stealth_hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stealth_hitman
Well there is one thing that doesn't get boring :D
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

I'm bored as well

But i,m bored with every game running like crap on my computer but the thing isit's go nothing to do with my hardware i meet the requirements and any prerendered cinematics keep stuttring and i don't know what to do because i've done everything.

I get the feeling that microsoft may have put some code into a Windows XP update that slowly cripple your comuter until you give in and buy an xbox.

Poshkidney

What???

If you're computer is running slow, you need to clean it up. Run spyware/adware programs to clean that crap out, run CCleaner to remove obsolete files/temp files, run a virus scan to make sure no viruses are on your computer, run a disk check to make sure there are no errors, run a defrag on your hard drive and clean out the dust from all your fans.

Doing things like this on a weekly basis (aside from cleaning out the inside of your computer tower, should only really need to do that twice a year at most) or bi-weekly basis helps keep your computer running at its best.

After 2, 3 or 4 years it's also good to reformat and do a clean install of your OS - you don't have to, but it'll help the performance of your system. Just be sure to back up any important data on another hard drive/DVD/CD or some other data storage device so you don't lose it when you reformat.

stealth_hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 stealth_hitman
Avg and glary utilties are good apps to clean up any crap on yo pc
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

Enosh88
On average, yes. We're not playing the average old games, we're going back to the best ones.
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Baselerd

Enosh88
Wrong. Thats what I'm saying. The games are definitely better. They have better graphics, and minor improvements here and there. But, there is no innovation these days, and the games that come to pass are often exactly like the previous games, just with more content, better graphics, or maybe a small feature which is overhyped that usually makes little difference.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

[QUOTE="Poshkidney"]

I'm bored as well

neatfeatguy

What???

If you're computer is running slow, you need to clean it up. Run spyware/adware programs to clean that crap out, run CCleaner to remove obsolete files/temp files, run a virus scan to make sure no viruses are on your computer, run a disk check to make sure there are no errors, run a defrag on your hard drive and clean out the dust from all your fans.

Doing things like this on a weekly basis (aside from cleaning out the inside of your computer tower, should only really need to do that twice a year at most) or bi-weekly basis helps keep your computer running at its best.

After 2, 3 or 4 years it's also good to reformat and do a clean install of your OS - you don't have to, but it'll help the performance of your system. Just be sure to back up any important data on another hard drive/DVD/CD or some other data storage device so you don't lose it when you reformat.

I've been doing all of that on a weekly basis which is why i'm stumped why everything runs like crap.

Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Wrong. Thats what I'm saying. The games are definitely better. They have better graphics, and minor improvements here and there. But, there is no innovation these days, and the games that come to pass are often exactly like the previous games, just with more content, better graphics, or maybe a small feature which is overhyped that usually makes little difference.Baselerd

beacose there was some much diffrence betwen random platform game A and platform games B and C 20 years ago. Reality check, no there wasn't, there is around the same amount of innovation now that was also back then, the video game industry has always been playing it safe.

the majority of old games hav been clones/rip offs from something succesfull, just like now, the majority of adventure and platform games had the same basic gameplay, with some of them maybe doing 1 or 2 things difrent. Why do you think fps games were called "doom clones"? Try to gues

it's just that no one remembers these games, they didn't do anything important, they probably weren't even very good, what people do remember are the clasics and looking only at them you can get the illusion that games were better and more innovative back then. but that's looking at only the games with an score of over 9 at GS and saying how much better games today are

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts

Meh I agree most of my weekends I've been spending on reading novels than gaming, the fps genre is getting stagnant and repetitive which is why I haven't bought an fps in a looong time , can't say the same for rts lots of value there.

nocturial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nocturial
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

Well there is one thing that doesn't get boring :Dstealth_hitman

yeah i love doing prank calles too // jk =P i know what you mean and it's true xD

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Why don't you revisit old games? I'm pretty sure there're many awesome games you missed.

stealth_hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stealth_hitman

[QUOTE="stealth_hitman"]Well there is one thing that doesn't get boring :Dnocturial

yeah i love doing prank calles too // jk =P i know what you mean and it's true xD

I was talkiing about sleeping :) evey body loves doing that I mean what else is better lol :p
Beaglesniffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 Beaglesniffer
Member since 2006 • 707 Posts
Go out and buy ARMA2 for PC 19thJune UK/Europe and 26th June for U.S/International Its basically an army simulation and ok some people might not like the realism but its something that hasn't been done properly yet and it acts like a sandbox, so you should find it a change to what you play atm Good luck in your search for a good game :)
404-not-found

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 404-not-found
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts
You're just growing out of games.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

Why don't you revisit old games? I'm pretty sure there're many awesome games you missed.

thusaha
I like to revisit old games that I've played and beat... Like Advent Rising on PC, it's not the greatest (could have been a killer of a game if it was done right), but I've been eying the game box the past few days and trying to decide if I should install it on my new PC setup and play again. I'm about due for my 6month wait between playing it again....for some reason I just enjoy playing the game about every 6 months or so and beating it. I've been spending my current time gaming in the lands of Drakensang, which is actually quite enjoyable once you get about an hour or so into the game and out of the starting town.
Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Myrkan
Member since 2004 • 1304 Posts

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't find the newer games boring. Newer Valve games such as L4D have massive replay value, TF2 is, well, possibly the best online FPS currently in existence.

I enjoyed Spore, somewhat innovative with great replay value.

Bioshock, Crysis, Rainbow Six Vegas (one and two) Mass Effect, Call of Duty games, Fallout 3/Oblivion, Sims 3...Sure, not all of them put a new spin on the genre, but I won't be bored with gaming for a loooooooong time. Especially with all of the new up and coming titles, Dragon Age: Origins, and the KOTOR MMO, just to name a few. Not to mention Bioshock 2. Oh, and L4D2.

jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts

If you're fed up with the bog standard FPS and RTS, look for something new. I'm sure there are games out there that you'd love that you've never heard of and genres you don't even know exist.parasitesingle

You make a good point - there are some good games which have a different twist and/or more gripping plot - also including:

Thief: Deadly Shadows

Deus Ex 2

Stalker: CS

Blade Runner

Tron

Clive Barker's Undying

Timeshift

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#41 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Play old games, or maybe you are growing out of it?
Gamerkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Gamerkat
Member since 2008 • 1693 Posts

I'm bored as well

Poshkidney

You can build a core 2 duo rig nowadays with a decent processor for under $400. It really is worth it.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i agree with what you say
nocturial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nocturial
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

[QUOTE="nocturial"]

[QUOTE="stealth_hitman"]Well there is one thing that doesn't get boring :Dstealth_hitman

I was talkiing about sleeping :) evey body loves doing that I mean what else is better lol :p

that's funny cuz i was thinking about eating... ah wel... =]

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Cant say I agree with games being boring these days but I think thats becouse I mainly play online games. Even just another fps is good when playing with others.

rzepak
Yeah I have serious fun playin TF2 with a couple friends or maybe Dragonica, Killing Floor, some Sven co-op, occasionally HAWX.. now that I think about it, it doesn't really matter what we play :) Online gaming with good friends is where it's at. I only play single player stuff on occasion. I guess that's why I don't feel burnt out when I play a decent sp game.
KimDongUk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KimDongUk
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I disagree have ever played any recent FPS game? game makers try a lot of variations to survive! For examaple, Crysis(EA) introduces ecentric mode, the mode is a bit similar to bullet time mode in matrix. It makes a big difference. That's so new! and F.E.A.R series it's a kind of mixture of horror and FPS games. when playing you're gonna find your hand shaking! can you feel that in normal FPS games like CS: source or half life?
Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts

I started feeling bored with games as well...until I got into INDIE GAMES!!!

These don't get much attention from Gamespot, IGN, and most other mainstream sites, which I think is why they never get discussed here. Check TIG Source for some indie game information. Indie Nation on Destructoid.com also gives some good recommendations.

Indie games provide new experiences using Classic sensibilities. You like city building games? Try DWARF FORTRESS. It is a very complicated city building game with almost infinite replay value. Other classic indie games include CAVE STORY, NIKUJIN, BRAID, PORTAL, NOITU LOVE 2, WITHIN A DEEP FOREST, and SPELUNKY. And the best part? Most of them are free.

Seriously, give these games a try. It refreshed gaming for me.