Games Based on Romance?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

walleteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 walleteater
Member since 2005 • 224 Posts
Theres barely any games that are based on romance. The only two I know of are Ico, and Shadow of the collosus. Both made by the same developers.... Are there anymore out there? Because I find romance really makes the story much stronger, and I play games more for story then other reasons.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Very few indeed. Sex, nudity... and romance it seems is a taboo in the west... thus leading to very few games that actually contain it.

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines has a character in it that you can become very emotionally attached to... Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) has a possibilty of romance between some characters... but there are few games aside from Japanese "sim-date" RPG's that I can think of that feature high levels of romance.
walleteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 walleteater
Indigo Prophecy was a undead criminal, and a cop, having sex in a hobo's train. That was not romance.... lol
vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts
Many of the Final Fantasy's have had romance involved in the story lines. Romance of the Three Kingdoms, has the word Romance in the title. ~grin~ KOTOR, KOTOR2, GTA: SA, HL2 + Episodes (seem to point that direction, but Gordon is remaining mute on the subject), and many other games have it in the story if you look.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
The Witcher?
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Portal.

Me and my companion cube.

acidbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 acidbite
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts

Portal.

Me and my companion cube.

pinneyapple

:lol::lol::lol:

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
The Legend of Lotus Spring. It's apoint & click adventure game.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Super Mario :) Between Bowser and Peach I mean.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#10 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Max Payne 2. But the steamiest game out there will be HL2: EP3. I have contacted Lord Lombardi myself on the bat-phone and he has assured me that there will be a youknowwhatscene in the game !! oh and a wedding! but most of you already know about that given that everyone here on gamespot has been given an invitation. I suspect the youknowwhatscene will being with Alyx inviting Gordon up for CAKE (!!) and coffee.

Attention: Please note that the Christian Response Advisorary Program (CRAP) has replaced the word SEX in the biggest_loser's post. Please join CRAP in our quest to censor everyday words such as SEX right here on our very own Gamespot. We thank the biggest_loser for his co-operation in letting us take over his message (and mega brain) and helping us to censor words such as SEX. We apologise for the repeated use of the word SEX and hope that you decide to take your CRAP seriously!!

Fanible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fanible
Member since 2003 • 761 Posts
Since when has "Romance" been a taboo subject in games in the west? I'd say more to the fact, romance is just harder to pull off successfully in games. There still have been plenty of games that have it. Maybe no games based around it by itself, but it's still been there.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I think Max Payne 2 was the game that had a lot of romance.
Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
Plenty of games WITH romance in it, not many based around it though
Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts
Kings Quest 6
Avatar image for ShinyPinkRobots
ShinyPinkRobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 ShinyPinkRobots
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts
does leisure suit larry count, i've never played it but i know its based around sex and things
walleteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 walleteater

leisure suit larry does not count. Sex and romance are two differnt things. Romance, strengthens the story, by giving you reason. Final Fantasy games pull it off well, and so does legend of dragoon :).

In alot of games one of the 'couple die' and that makes for some of the most powerful moments in games. There's also the concept of Brotherly romance, which is simply a strong connection between 2 people, "Like legend of dragoon where that knight and dart become best friends, and then the knight is killed :(" which also has the same effect.

And of course, the Opposing Romance, where It is simply a relationship between the 'good' and 'evil' sides, not hinting at anything, but they honor eachother, and do not want to completely kill eachother and such.

But yes, there are very few games that actually have a strong aspect of this. Shadow of collosus was you taking on impossible odds to ressurect your girlfriend. Again, a strong reason to be doing what you are doing.

Ico, which i can't get a copy of, is a game where you (some weird kid) have to protect a girl that was about to be sacrificed. You actually have to hold her hand and direct her everywhere, growing a strong relationship between the two characters.

Prince of persia Sands of time, had romance too.

If there are anymore, tell me :)

JordanCupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JordanCupcakes
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts

that onme 8bit Swedish Erotica game w00t

Ale Sverige For Kung och Fosterland lol