Gamer's Lament: Portal 2 Being Way Too Easy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluemoon6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 bluemoon6
Member since 2009 • 310 Posts

I suppose this is more of a rant than the beginnings of a discussion, but please feel free to express your opinion. Let me also start by saying I don't feel smart because I cleared through a game many considered "challenging." Really the whole thing, from top gaming critics to the slim majority of gamers saying that Portal 2 is the best game of the year with some decent challenge, is all one really big joke/paradigm for me. Honestly, not only did I effortlessly defeat one "challenge" after the next, I kind of felt like the game was insulting my intelligence. It's just frustrating, from my perspective, to see Valve really drop the ball on this one, and yet the universe is glowering at Portal 2's feet. Don't get me wrong, everything else in the game was top-notch and at Valve's usual level of expertise. But, somehow, the heart of the game - the puzzles - were an outright bore. An honest, solidly true rating, in my opinion, would've been a 7.5 (at best) for Portal 2.

Travis281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Travis281
Member since 2004 • 2546 Posts

I got stuck a couple times, but yes, the majority of the game is pretty simple to figure out. I didn't find it boring though. I see Portal 2 as a full-length Portal 1 and it satisfied on pretty much every front for me. It had a pretty engaging story. Gameplay was unique to the Portal series, even though we've seen this gameplay before, I wasn't really bored just because I had played Portal 1. They tried a couple new things and held my attention through my fairly short playthrough.

It's not about the game being hard enough, it's about the experience, and I feel this game delivered. People complained because of their dollar to gameplay hours ratio. Come on. The game was fun. I'm sorry it sucked for you, but most of us enjoyed ourselves.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Each to their own, I found several parts to be quite the brain twisters.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Portal 2's difficulty was comparable to it's predecessor. Since first person action puzzle solving is a very limited genre, you don't have too many other games to compare it to. When compared to Portal 1, Portal 2 is far and away the better game. Since Portal received a 9, it's sequel, being the better game overall, should also receive at least that much.

I also take issue with your claim that the puzzles are the heart of the game and too simple. To me, it was about equally puzzle and action, and as for being too simple... Games should first be judged on if they are fun, and then compared to their competition. Difficult puzzles don't mean fun to most people, else they would skip playing modern games and just play chess against equally skilled competitors. This wasn't a game designed to stump geniuses or only embrace the smartest. It's pretty simple really; go in one portal and come out the other. Simple enough to understand, that anyone can do it if they try.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
I thought Portal 2 was definitely harder than Portal. Neither were all that hard, though.
neo_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 neo_87
Member since 2011 • 394 Posts

I found it to be a perfect actually.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Portal nearly made me vomit after the first 3 levels.....lol.....
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Portal nearly made me vomit after the first 3 levels.....lol.....FelipeInside
Why? The FOV?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Portal nearly made me vomit after the first 3 levels.....lol.....Elann2008
Why? The FOV?

All the puzzles and looking around and jumping around....lol....
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Portal was way too easy, 2 is decent, as always, if you want to have fun play the game, they obviously wouldn't make a game that makes you think stupid, for a challenge you have to wait for decent custom maps, those will make you feel r******d.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
I have one major problem with Portal 2 and that is that most of it is waaaay to easy you dont even need to think. Just fire on the white spot on the wall. However i overall think portal 2 is a better game because of how the game is built up and it have co-op and thats a major + even more when the co-op is *gasp* good. But yes moar challenges please.
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
Yeah there were no show stoppers there, but I think that's kinda good, it's a lot longer than the first Portal you gotta keep it moving. And the satisfaction comes from solving puzzles not getting stuck at them, while it might feel that harder is better it might not have been, I bet a lot of people wouldn't have finished the game had they got stuck even a few times.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I played through Portal 1 until I nearly memorized every single puzzle. Probably because of this, i blazed through portal 2