Game-Friendly Antivirus Software?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Can anybody recommend a reasonably-priced antivirus package that doesn't interfere with game performance?

I was considering CA (Computer Associates) Anti-Virus 2007, but I have two reservations:

• Price---At first glance, it looks as though it costs just $50, but if you read through the "feature list", you'll find this:

Continuous Protection to keep your computer protected from the latest internet risks by automatically renewing your subscription at the then current renewal price (plus applicable tax), so you don't have to.

Gee, thanks! They don't even say how often you have to renew, and how much the renewal costs! Is that $50 every year???

• The "Real-time Scanning" feature. According their feature list this "proactively stops viruses by scanning files when they are opened, closed or saved to your PC".

I really don't like the idea of something hooking into the OS at a low level and scanning every file that's opened. I'd rather just schedule a weekly scan or something.

Any recommendations?

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

You want to pay for AV software? Theres perfectly functional free AV software thats great.

I recommend AVG or AVAST. Both free. Both great.

_SpaceCase_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _SpaceCase_
Member since 2003 • 8705 Posts
I tried AVG but it was way to popup-y and it kept microsoft word from working for me for some strange reason..
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stesilaus

You want to pay for AV software?

TheCrazed420

Not if I can help it! :P

Theres perfectly functional free AV software thats great.

TheCrazed420

Thanks very much for the recommendation! I'll check out AVG and AVAST.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheCrazed420

I tried AVG but it was way to popup-y and it kept microsoft word from working for me for some strange reason.._SpaceCase_

Yeah, I recently had issues with AVG and Bioshock as well. But the reason I like that one especially is its so light on system resources. And in the 2 years I've used it, I had no previous conflicts or viruses.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
I use AVG also, Ihave found it to be a great antivirus. It catches everything, unfortunately that includes the DRM components to Bioshock for some people.
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts
avast is your best bet, being using it since the begining of 05, no issues at all with it, and its free.
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

You want to pay for AV software? Theres perfectly functional free AV software thats great.

TheCrazed420

I use both and totally agree .... both are free and work very well.

Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

free.grisoft.com 4twin

sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts

Avast and Antivir in my opinion are the best. AVG is good, but I don't care for it too much since It feels bloated compared to the others.

But all 3 would be perfectly fine.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

Avast and Antivir in my opinion are the best. AVG is good, but I don't care for it too much since It feels bloated compared to the others.

But all 3 would be perfectly fine.

sepheronX

:shock: Avast is larger and more visible that AVG by a long shot, how can you say AVG is bloated?

AJMFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AJMFace
Member since 2003 • 129 Posts
I use avg and it's worked great. Its pretty light and i have found little issues with popups. The free version is probibly your best chioce, I hear that the full version with firewall, antispyware, ect. is definetly a lot more bloated. I also own bioshock and actually didn't have any issues, though i know some people had avg claim the exe was a virus.
Myugenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Myugenjin
Member since 2003 • 785 Posts

I've been using AVG for a few days now and think its great. I had a few viruses on ma pc for sometime (due to CA not updating cuz i didn't renew my service) but avg got rid of all that and its virus scans are quicker then CA's. whenever youre not using it just opposite click on the icon and select quit avg ect. and it closes entirely with no bs unlike CA.

Basically as a CA customer from 2004-07, it sucks monkey butt. In reality these days not to many ppl make viruses just mainly malware slowin ya rig down & worst of all port attacks which no virus or firewall software can protect. (ya gotta close down ports that have no use to negate attacks) heres a lil info on it as far as actually closing ur ports do a google search

http://linuxgazette.net/issue68/tag/10.html

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

This anti-virus is marketed towards gamers, but I'm not sure if it's good or not.

I use NOD32. It's by far the best anti-virus out there. Influential tech guys like Leo Laporte recommend NOD32 for its outstanding protection and small footprint (it takes up very little memory).

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stesilaus

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions! :)

Just one question about AVG and Bioshock: Do the problems arise because AVG attempts some sort of "on the fly" scan when Bioshock tries to load data files? If so, isn't there a way to disable this "scan on open" functionality?

I'd really prefer to use antivirus software that only scans files on demand, or at some scheduled time.

I'm very uncomfortable with software that tries to intercept all file operations---feels a bit too much like that Starforce ****!

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheCrazed420

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions! :)

Just one question about AVG and Bioshock: Do the problems arise because AVG attempts some sort of "on the fly" scan when Bioshock tries to load data files? If so, isn't there a way to disable this "scan on open" functionality?

I'd really prefer to use antivirus software that only scans files on demand, or at some scheduled time.

I'm very uncomfortable with software that tries to intercept all file operations---feels a bit too much like that Starforce ****!

Stesilaus

In my case, when I went to install it, it popped up a warning saying the exe was a virus. It really was a pain because a few days later, the exe stopped working completely. After reinstalling the game, the update wouldnt work because of AVG again. So yeah, the only workaround I had was to completely remove AVG from my comp and switch to AVAST.

That being said, that is the first problem I've had with AVG in years. So give it a try, and if you're having problems, go with AVAST during your Bioshock run, and switch back to AVG after you're done with the game if you prefer.

Masterfulfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Masterfulfish
Member since 2005 • 230 Posts
Does the free version of AVG include a firewall?
sirus1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sirus1210
Member since 2003 • 113 Posts

This anti-virus is marketed towards gamers, but I'm not sure if it's good or not.

I use NOD32. It's by far the best anti-virus out there. Influential tech guys like Leo Laporte recommend NOD32 for its outstanding protection and small footprint (it takes up very little memory).

Einhanderkiller

"Compatibility - SteelSecurity is designed for Windows® XP Home, XP Professional and 2000. If you are using a different operating system, you should leave this application alone. Really."

That's a direct quote from their website. I use Vista and would totally try it, if not for them telling me not to. :p

Does the free version of AVG include a firewall? Masterfulfish

nope ... I personally hate using firewalls when I game. It always seems like they run slower when I have a firewall running as opposed to not. To each their own. If you still want one I've heard ZoneAlarm's free version being pretty good, if a little bloated.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Kaspersky all the way. I have used AVG and avast at one point in time they are both very adequate and also work well but i prefer kaspersky, it works with all systems including 64bit vista natively so no problems there and it is minimal on system performance hits. Definately one of the best "not as well known" big namers out there and they do a great job with compatibility. I never have problems getting what i want to access the internet and they have tons of features like the ability to turn on and off active guard and the such. I also used Norton for a while ... well it works but its so fricken hard on your computer the question is it really worth it. With norton I also never had problems getting my programs ample access to the internet. My favorite is kaspersky ... they really do a top notch job and are well worth the price.
weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts
[QUOTE="Einhanderkiller"]

sirus1210

"Compatibility - SteelSecurity is designed for Windows® XP Home, XP Professional and 2000. If you are using a different operating system, you should leave this application alone. Really."

That's a direct quote from their website. I use Vista and would totally try it, if not for them telling me not to. :p

Does the free version of AVG include a firewall? Masterfulfish

nope ... I personally hate using firewalls when I game. It always seems like they run slower when I have a firewall running as opposed to not. To each their own. If you still want one I've heard ZoneAlarm's free version being pretty good, if a little bloated.

*ugh* software firewalls are never a good idea. For one, it runs on your computer and it is always better to stop the packets BEFORE it gets to your computer. Hardware firewalls cost about the same as a decent retail software firewall and has no affect on your computer performance or resources. If you absolutely insist on using software firewalls... "Tiny Personal Firewall" is about as good as it gets for freeware.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Not quite sure what the problem is all about. I had been using full versions of Norton for the last six years, aside from great protection all you have to do is turn the sucker OFF when you play games.

It might still effect a game performance, but it's so minimal that it doesn't matter. I don't mind sacrificing 1-3 fps, I do more then just game on my PC. And Internet is Online 24/7, I don't wish to worry.
Every computer that has any kind of Internet access should have a good anti-virus software in my opinion.

In the end it's not only a anti-virus that might affect your gaming. Any program running in background does.

That's all there is to it, unless you have a very old machine with little RAM.

Avatar image for 205047247090237824329930235794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 205047247090237824329930235794
Member since 2005 • 741 Posts
AVG Free is enough for me. It's important to remember a few things about virus scanners, though:

1. No matter what the makers of the software say, always disable the resident scanner before installing new software/drivers. I created a macro in my keyboard's software that toggle's AVG's Resident Shield on and off.

2. Scan the computer yourself at regular intervals. There's nothing more annoying than running some resource-heavy program (or game) when all of a sudden your anti-virus decides it's time to do the scheduled full system scan. Since I don't like my computer doing things I didn't tell it to, I disable scheduled scans and run them manually when it's convenient.

3. Look through the configuration options and set it to your tastes. I've never come across an anti-virus tool that didn't have at least one or two annoying settings that are on by default. I let AVG auto-update itself, but have set it not to notify me every time it does so (normally on by default). I've also changed a few general program settings and items in the email scanning component as well.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

I'd really prefer to use antivirus software that only scans files on demand, or at some scheduled time.Stesilaus

NOD32 does that, and it's damn good at it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5856a68df1dad
deactivated-5856a68df1dad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 deactivated-5856a68df1dad
Member since 2006 • 1193 Posts
Don't use avg its take lots of lag even wen its off like Battlefield 2 you will get lots of lag exept if you have a high internet connection + a very good pc
Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kolossi  Online
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

Avast.

No problems for me.